What's new

JR Alternative Cigars

JDP

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Has anyone tried the JR alternative cigars from JR Cigars? They claim to be good cigars and just less expensive because they don't have a brnd name or fancy packaging.

The majority of them are $20-$30 for 20 which seems to be too good to be true.

I'd like to hear from someone who's tried them.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well first of, welcome to the board....

and .... I will let somebody who has tried them answer this question, cause I have not

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I smoke the Cuban Alternative's sometimes ,by no means are they a cuban,but i must say they are pretty good smoke for the money,a real heavy bodied cigar with some good taste to them,the cuban alternatives are much stronger that youd think....the ones i smoke are the siglo IV's

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried them. Bought 3 bundles of Cuban Alternative's over the past 2 years. No complaints and they were enjoyable.

They make good smokes when I'm working in the yard and don't want to worry about dropping or damaging a good one.

They are also good for friends or family that visit and you don't want to give them one of your top shelf smokes.

Smokin Joe

Fore!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a try, I have had several cuban alts of the Monti # 2 and the Cohiba rubusto, they were good every day cigars. My current every day work cigar is the Drew Estates LVH Rothschild Luxo the #2 and #3. You can get them on line for just over twenty dollars a box............great every day work cigar, well made even though they are medium filler......highly recommended. If you want them try Nice Ash cigars

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
mmmmmmm newspaper

The only bundled smoke I buy are connies. I usually give them out to "non-smokers"

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have never been a fan of them. all of them tast pretty bad. However, I do like the JR Ultimates. More money but well worth it in my opinion.

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but recently I have been trying the JR Alternatives Sampler and to be real honest, what I've been trying are very disappointing.
The cigars appear to be well built. Solid construction, burns evenly, and the ash hangs on very good, but to coin a phrase from a CNN newscaster, they are a real "nuthin' burger".
The two things I am looking for, that (to me) are greatly lacking are taste and effect. To my noobie palate they taste like smoking cardboard and leaves, with very little to no buzz factor.

So, what do you think? Do you think allowing them to sit in the humidor will help them?

Should I look for a stronger profile? They are rated as Medium bodied on the web site, but I don't think they are. And I've tried some like Baccarat and found these Light to Medium cigars to be quite tasty.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Years ago when I was going through cigars like a drunk on buying cheap vodka for $9 a bottle....I tried a few of the Alternatives and knew that these were like most "house blends"....cheap and a way for Cigar Sites to sell off cheap tobacco that they weren't able to pass any other way except through bulk sales. Some will like them because at best they are 'yard gars'...at worse they are discounted for a reason. If you don't have high expectations then these might be for you....if you smoke cigars for the taste of them then there are much better cigars that can be had.....Illusione Roth Maduros which can be had for $3.72 per stick and are great to smoke. JMO

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Long ago I bought a 5er of JR Alternative cigars. Didn't enjoy the right off the bat and they got buried in my humidor. A year passed by and I stumbled on these 3 JR cigars so fired one up. I enjoyed it so much, I bought a bundle to let them hibernate in the bottom of my humidor for another year. (I tried one right away and it still sucked while fresh.)

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you get what you pay for.
these days, there are no deals at JR.
the Ultimates are worth buying.
the maduro Alternatives used to be very nice, especially the Fuente Alternatives.