What's new

JR Auction... Is it worthwhile

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I like CAO alot but that is just me. If it was worth it to you just put a bid and have a certian amount you will not go over and see if you get them. If you do and do not like them let me know and I might take them off of you. .02

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I received this e-mail today (I have no idea why) and was wondering what you all thought. Having looked at their catalog I was not impressed. However, a buddy here at work swears by their 'Specials' as an everyday cigar.

What says this list?

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=ra_itemlist
I'm not sure on the auction, but i have been shopping for the best deals on several sites. Prices differ from one site to another. My example is from last week or so when I shoppped around for my boss. He is not a regular cigar smoker and wanted a light bodied "expensive" cigar. Mainly so he can give them away and look cool. (more money than brains) So I started looking for Macanudos. I found the Mac Vintage 2000 for $169 at JR and $273 at Cigars international, but a different brand was the oppsite. Cheaper at CI and more at JR. So I recomend comparisson shopping.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
JR, for me was a progression. Most of us here started there or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Thompsons. I can't think of a cigar now, that JR sells that I would smoke. If you like what he has to offer, it's a great place! I guarantee, keep smoking cigars, and visiting this site, and JR's will be a thing of the past!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Like Smokem, JR was one of my first online sites and I really liked. Continued research led me to others that were less expensive or had no shipping charges. The straw that broke the camel's back was when they "alledgedly" released their UPS records to California so they could send mail order people bills for sales and tobacco tax, some quite large. I found smaller companies to deal with.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh c'mon, you telling me you would jump at the chance to fill your humidor with:

Riata Cigars
Mister B Handmades
Shakespeare
Flor De Baloney!

Hey, at least the have Fuente!

They are always SOLDOUT of Fuente!!!!!
Or so they say!!!

I like others started with JR primarily because I could drive to their store off of I77 outside of Charlotte.
But like others after reading posts here and other sites there's a lot of better and cheaper sites available.
It always seemed as though the cigars I received from JR's were dried out.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
JR is owned by Altadis. In my opinion they push Altadis cigars very hard (hence the focus on their factory in Villazon).

Interestingly enough cigars international was bought by Swedish Match. Let's see how they change over time (and cigarbid also).

The one advantage JR has is with Altadis's partnership with Habanos, my guess is they will be the first outlet to carry CC's once the embargo is history.

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like Smokem, JR was one of my first online sites and I really liked. Continued research led me to others that were less expensive or had no shipping charges. The straw that broke the camel's back was when they "alledgedly" released their UPS records to California so they could send mail order people bills for sales and tobacco tax, some quite large. I found smaller companies to deal with.
I would be interested to hear of your list of cheaper places. Lately, I hit cibd for everything. If you can, and have the time, toss me a PM, or list the places you frequent, please.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
All I know is that CubanLou's (thanks Kevin) and newhavana (thanks Dan) are my sites of choice.

Thanks Sascha for turning me into... I hate to say it... A Pepin Freak!