What's new

Juan Lopez Selección No. 1 Review

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Juan Lopez Selección No. 1
RUM MAR ‘18

Great weather we’re having right now in Texas. It has cooled off considerably, and we’re getting some much-needed rain this weekend. Today I settle down with a great cigar and a great drink. The cigar is from a box very generously given to me for my 40th birthday this Summer, and the drink is one I concocted at some party or another. I call it Ancho Tea. It’s iced tea, slightly sweet, with a couple splashes of Ancho Reyes, and a tiny dash of finely ground nutmeg. Few friends have tried it, and even fewer have liked it. I find it goes great with some smokes. Last time I made it was also with a Juan Lopez 1.

24213B47-F3B9-467A-80BE-4375A3BA22E7.jpeg

Love the somewhat rustic feel of a Juan Lopez 1. This one has a slight press from age in the cab, and is a little bit bumpy. I don’t mind that one bit. Has a slightly dusty appearance, and a little bit of tooth. Both the aroma and cold draw give me some cedar, and a little bit of hay. I used a V-cut on this and then decided I wanted more, so ended up doing an X-cut, which worked well. Slight resistance, just a really great draw from the beginning.

START TIME: 10:25am

On opening light I taste simply some cedar and earth, along with some hay and/or wheat. That cedar note lasts through the beginning, joined eventually by some baking spices and almonds. Through the first third, the cedar fades into a different wood, less tree and more campfire. Reminds me of when I add pecan wood to coals on the grill. The finish has a delectable burnt butter and some nuttiness, while the retrohale brings even more nuts and baking spices. The strength feels about medium, the draw and smoke output are excellent, and the texture of the smoke is very creamy, with some oil. So good with this drink!

03AC8B61-9B8B-4DE1-8302-65E31C85BF4C.jpeg

At the end of the first third, a tiny bit of spice begins to show on the finish. Tastes kinda like a spicy marzipan, which I love in a cigar. I haven’t tried the JL2, and often wonder how it compares to this one. Even though I have plenty more of this stick, it occurs to me that I will one day run out... cigar paranoia ensues! Maybe from the tremor of fear running through my body, or maybe from a slight breeze, a chunk of ash falls off as if to announce the second third.

In the second act, I’m getting a lot of cocoa and honey, alternating with the more earthy flavors from before. At the same time, a little citrus fruit starts to make an appearance. At the tail end of the finish, some anise comes into play. Not overpowering, just a touch. The spicy kick stays at a minimum, just enough to accent all these other great flavors. Also, the texture is getting even creamier. Superb! As I approach the middle of this smoke, the burn line is almost perfectly straight.

B9BD754B-7E11-493B-8BE2-018584B9DC57.jpeg

As the final part of this cigar begins, all the flavors from the second third remain. I start to taste some clove on the palate as well, and the citrus really starts to get boosted. The honey does begin to fade a bit, while brown sugar is added to the woody and nutty flavors, and that slightly sweet pecan wood smoke is really coming through. The finish here is getting nice and syrupy. Around this point, I decide to make another Ancho Tea.

The strength has definitely kicked up some in the final third, getting quite a few notches above medium, but nowhere near full. Burn line remains very straight. Right toward the end of this fantastic smoke, the brown sugar comes in stronger for a final cadence, finishing off another remarkable JL1. I tend to smoke on the much slower side, so this has been about an hour and fifty minute smoke. Finishing just in time for lunch, my end time is 12:15pm.

AE27C413-CB16-462E-AF5A-90BE76F83604.jpeg

What a great smoke. Perfect for a day like this, excellent for the hopefully-approaching autumn weather, but also fantastic in the summertime. The flavors in this smoke all blend together so harmoniously, but definitely the cedar, almonds, orange, honey, anise, and pecan wood stick out to me.

Gotta give this cigar a 95 today!