What's new

Jury Duty

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So, I potentially have jury duty tomorrow. I have to call a number after 5:15 pm est tonight and listen to a recording to see if my 'group' number has to report tomorrow.

Anyone have nay experience on this?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
just got finished with jury duty. exactly like mark said. i was there one day for a few hours. i got picked for a case that was going to last just a day or two in court, so i didnt try to weasel out of it. went in 2 days later for the trial, hung out for a few hours, and they settled. Now i am done for 6 years.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you get picked for a criminal jury, during voir dire, just make sure you tell the judge/attorney that if he's being charged, he must be guilty. ;-)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've been notified about three times but never actually had to go. They gave me a number to call the first thing in the morning the day I was scheduled and whatever the case was it was either continued or settled.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've been notified seven times ... was actually instructed to report twice ... and one time I made it into the room for actual jury selection. The selections were made before I was interviewed though.

I read that less than 2% of all cases actually go to trial.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
sunivy said:
If you get picked for a criminal jury, during voir dire, just make sure you tell the judge/attorney that if he's being charged, he must be guilty. ;-)
Exactly. Make them think you won't make a non-judgemental decision and they'll let you go in a sec.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Kingston said:
I'm always one county ahead of the jury system. By the time they finally pick me, I've changed counties.
Hmmmm, sounds like a shady lifestyle to me. :-k

Are you some kind of snake oil salesman ... just a step ahead of the tar 'n feather gang?

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Serving on a jury is the most, if not only time in our government that a citizen actually has any effect on the governing of citizens by the rule of law.

Voting for President doesn't give you any real influence in the way the country is run, relative to being one of 12 ppl. deciding on the outcome of applying the law to individual disputes.

I will now jump back down off of my soap box.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quickest way to get out of jury duty...Walk into the selection room, ask the bailiff where the white people sit.... :shock: :shock: They will have your ass outta there lickity split!

Now, if you want to serve on a jury (I enjoyed it) take a good book to keep you occupied during the long waiting periods before selection..

Andrew

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
tedski said:
Hmmmm, sounds like a shady lifestyle to me. :-k

Are you some kind of snake oil salesman ... just a step ahead of the tar 'n feather gang?
You know the usual...import/export... waste management.
The usual legitimate businesses

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Ask which side will be offering the most for your vote.

Seriously, I am glad people do this so that atleast That system still works.
I dont have much faith in the way we elect people but I do somewhat in the way we try people.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
scottsins said:
Serving on a jury is the most, if not only time in our government that a citizen actually has any effect on the governing of citizens by the rule of law.
I agree. But, the hardest thing about serving on a jury is the time it takes away from other things, especially your job. If you have a job where you still get paid if you're serving, and the work still gets done (at least largely) by others or the work is not time-critical, it's not as big a deal. However, for a lot of folks, if they don't work, they don't get paid. Also, for some jobs, the work has to be done by a certain time, and you have to do it whether or not you're serving. Not saying that serving on a jury is not important - it is. But, it can be quite a pain.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Kingston said:
You know the usual...import/export... waste management.
The usual legitimate businesses
Oh ... like Tony Soprano ... I understand .... :smt023 :smt029 :smt070 :-$

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never even been contacted about Jury Duty. In my county, you have to put your profession down when you register to vote. Seems they don't particularly want me since my profession is "Law Enforcement".

:smt059