Votes: 31 77.5%
  • 70%

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

RX2010

I just ordered some 70s.

I used to keep my humi in the 60's and it made my cigars harsh/dry, didn't care for it.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I prefer the 65% level. I've found that they keep my cigars from haveing problems when I smoke them. That level is also one that stays more consistant for me.
I think consistent is the key word. For me, cigars will smoke ok at 70 but I have run into more burn issues at a higher RH.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm really interested to see how well the beads work, I just got them and set up in my humis. Hope they do the job. I'm tired of the fluxuations all the time. from 60 to 73% and I was using that humicare stuff too.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
All my beads are 65%. I have them in a 4 ounce tube in one desktop and it stays at 64% pretty well. Another desktop has a Diamond Crown humidification device and it keeps it at 70% for NC smokes.

An Avanti 28 bottle wine cooler uses an Oasis XL and 2 lbs. of beads in trays that are spread throughout the unit. It stays locked at 64%.

The Aristocrat uses 2 lbs. of beads along with the proprietary humidification device. It can vary from level to level (which I still don't understand). Bottom level stays around 62%, middle ranges the most, from 66% to 68% and the top drawer stays at 64%.

The one thing I found was that it took quite a while for the cabinet and the Avanti to stabilize, but once they did, they rocked steady, only varying slightly.

Everything smokes well, so I don't agonize over it like I did initially.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
An Avanti 28 bottle wine cooler uses an Oasis XL and 2 lbs. of beads in trays that are spread throughout the unit. It stays locked at 64%.

The one thing I found was that it took quite a while for the cabinet and the Avanti to stabilize, but once they did, they rocked steady, only varying slightly.

Everything smokes well, so I don't agonize over it like I did initially.

I have same Avanti cooler set up with only 1lb of beads on middle shelf and the Oasis is on the bottom on top of a cab. Mine is virtually locked at 64 too, dips to maybe 63 if the cooler runs for a while and the Oasis kicks on for a few minutes and goes right back up to 64%.

I think it is less of a matter of the Avanti to stabilize, but rather takes some time to learn exactly what works best for the person setting it up. I think without the Oasis, mine would not get enough RH since the unit seemed to suck out the RH to below the ambient RH.

All sticks seem to smoke well now too. So even I do not worry about rotating boxes either as my cabs and varnished boxes stay on the bottom and others are like a Tetris game best way they fit it.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I think it is less of a matter of the Avanti to stabilize, but rather takes some time to learn exactly what works best for the person setting it up. I think without the Oasis, mine would not get enough RH since the unit seemed to suck out the RH to below the ambient RH.
Exactly. I have the Oasis on the bottom and two spanish cedar slat shelves spaced evenly above that, so it gives me three levels of storage. I have 4 small trays with 1/2 lb. 65% beads in each...two on each shelf on the top of the boxes. I agree that just the beads would not work without the Oasis...I tried for about a week and was spritzing them daily with no results.

The middle shelf has two cpu fans in the middle of the slats that are set on a timer. They kick on for 4 minutes every 3.5 hours. I try to leave the middle of the cooler open from the Oasis to the top so that the fans can create a chimney effect and keep the air circulating slightly. (Steve, I freely admit that I stole the fan idea and settings directly from your setup! Also have the Brewmaster external controller and heating mat that you use...it will interesting this winter to see if I really need the heater. So, thanks!! :thumbsup: )

All in all, the Avanti is a great set-up. It's a good step in between a coolerdore and a nicely finished cabinet.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Exactly. I have the Oasis on the bottom and two spanish cedar slat shelves spaced evenly above that, so it gives me three levels of storage. I have 4 small trays with 1/2 lb. 65% beads in each...two on each shelf on the top of the boxes. I agree that just the beads would not work without the Oasis...I tried for about a week and was spritzing them daily with no results.

The middle shelf has two cpu fans in the middle of the slats that are set on a timer. They kick on for 4 minutes every 3.5 hours. I try to leave the middle of the cooler open from the Oasis to the top so that the fans can create a chimney effect and keep the air circulating slightly. (Steve, I freely admit that I stole the fan idea and settings directly from your setup! Also have the Brewmaster external controller and heating mat that you use...it will interesting this winter to see if I really need the heater. So, thanks!! :thumbsup: )

All in all, the Avanti is a great set-up. From start to finish, probably cost about $400 for everything except the beads, so it's a good step in between a coolerdore and a nicely finished cabinet.

Glad your working well too :thumbsup:. I did not use the cpu fan during the summer cause the unit worked often enough to stir the air. The cpu fan is back working now the office is cooler on the timer about 5 times a day for 4-5 minutes each on cycle.

The heating pad will also never be used. Everyone told me it is ok for the wine cooler to be cold, so the heating pad is overkill. Plus you would have to change the external controller to change from cold to heat mode as well. Just something else I do not want to mess with. Cheers!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Beads are 65% but in Michigan, in the Summer, in a 3/4 underground room, the Humi stays about 68-70% ... In the Winter, it's DRY here, so It will be closer to 65%..