What's new

Kayaks and Paddling

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Talk to me about it.

Who's into it? What do you have, what have you tried, what do you like?

Been looking into them a lot lately. The wife just got a perception Tribe 9.5 and it's pretty sweet. Best one I've tried so far.

We were looking into SOT's that were reasonably quick and agile, but with good stability, and good for lakes rivers, and mild rapids.

We also considered the liquid logic coupe, and the ocean frenzy, but the tribe just seemed a little better suited to our needs.

Ocean Tetra looked like a decent option as well.

I was trying to decide between a tribe 11 or a pescador, but now I'm really leaning towards the Magellan origin 10 at academy. Looks like it's a store branded prior year model pescador. Seems like it may fit the bill perfectly for multi purpose, at a great price.
20180704_160223.jpg
20180704_131801-1.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be paddling harder with a 10 footer. If you’ve got a way to transport an 11 or 12 footer, they track truer and don’t cork about as much.
Never owned a SOT, but can’t imagine they’d be as much fun for a river. And buy a spray skirt.
Kayaking is a great way to get a little exercise and enjoy the outdoors and nature.
Have fun.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You’ll be paddling harder with a 10 footer. If you’ve got a way to transport an 11 or 12 footer, they track truer and don’t cork about as much.
Never owned a SOT, but can’t imagine they’d be as much fun for a river. And buy a spray skirt.
Kayaking is a great way to get a little exercise and enjoy the outdoors and nature.
Have fun.
True.
Though, thing is that we're on lakes and calm rivers much more often than not.

Nice thing about the perceptions is that they track well and have good stability. I'd like something faster, but not sure I can manage the trade offs.

Ease of handling, storage, and hauling along with price, definitely has me leaning towards that 10 at the moment. Probably the way I'm gonna have to go for now. If I end up getting into the white water thing, I may get something purpose designed for that later.

What models have you used / liked?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Why would you want to get into Kayaking? You know you can't find mushrooms, berries, or green beans out on the water, right? :sneaky:
Heh heh, I'm a multi faceted character B. ;) As much a fan of the water as the mountains.

And actually, riverbanks are a great place to gather morels, but I really think I'll need something motorized to have a lot of luck with that....

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
there is a kayak shop right out our front door, I walk to lunch thru the parking lot every day.
they have the Pescador, several of them. I have seen so many different ones.
Since we are behind them, we use them as a landmark for folks trying to find us.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
False. Mushroom Tacos are not near as good as Fish Tacos. #CheckYourFacts
Uh... they make a lot of Mushroom tacos in Arkansas?

Every mushroom or huitlacoche taco I've ever had was on par with any fish taco I've ever had... and I didn't get this fat by saying "no" to tacos

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I need to learn more about kayaking... with the Pacific Ocean down the hill, it seems ridiculous not to get out there.

Is there much difference in fresh water / ocean kayaking equipment?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've been kayaking for a few years now and I've tried out a few different kinds. I've paddled in a pelican mustang 100x(10'), pelican trailblazer 80(8'), lifetime tamarack 100(10'), ascend 12t (12'), ascend d10, and a 10' sit on top that I don't recall the brand or model. All 3 sit on tops I've used were super stable but also weighed the most and were the slowest/least maneuverable on the water. Of the sit in kayaks, I like the ascend d10 the most followed by the pelican mustang 100x as these had a nice balance between stability, speed, and weight. The 8' pelican is a nightmare on the river and every time we've gone down a river whoever uses that one flips at least once due to the poor stability. The 10' kayaks fit in my truck bed with the tailgate down without needing any additional support. If you're transporting on a trailer, roof rack, or have a long bed this may not be an issue.

I settled on the d10 due to it's comfy removable seat, reasonable weight, spacious interior, and ability to store a crate behind my seat which holds my tackle boxes, gear, and fishing rods. It does good on lakes and on rivers. It also keeps me dry on smaller rapids that would likely get you wet if using a sit on top kayak. I don't have experience with the models you've mentioned but in my fairly limited experience there isn't a best kayak as they all have pros and cons. You mention you'll mostly be on lakes so a sit on top may suit your needs the best if you don't plan to paddle super long distances. I have a friend who mostly lake fishes but goes down mild rivers with us occasionally on his 12' ascend SOT and while that thing is a barge, it gets the job done with some more effort.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My wife's best friend since childhood lives in Hamilton Ontario Canada. She is a high school art teacher and gifted artist.
She is a life long kayaker and took a class to learn how to build her own. These are her work.
I can only dream of having the time and talent to build one. If I remember correctly, it takes about 80 hours of work to build one from mahogany. This was the first kayak I was ever in didn't realize how spoiled I was until I got in a plastic one.
My vacation starts in one week and getting in one of these is always enjoyable!
image.jpeg

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My wife's best friend since childhood lives in Hamilton Ontario Canada. She is a high school art teacher and gifted artist.
She is a life long kayaker and took a class to learn how to build her own. These are her work.
I can only dream of having the time and talent to build one. If I remember correctly, it takes about 80 hours of work to build one from mahogany. This was the first kayak I was ever in didn't realize how spoiled I was until I got in a plastic one.
My vacation starts in one week and getting in one of these is always enjoyable!
View attachment 116828
Wow! How nice!