What's new

Kitty Litter - Experience so far

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Guys

Not trying to start any debate here ;)

Had to give the kitty litter a try since I was having problems with beads holding ammonia smell and because my curiosity couldnt handle it.

Bought a huge bag of the exquisicat crystals FRAGRANCE FREE from petsmart for around $14.

Let a big bowl of it out for 1 days to grab a little humidity and then added it into a small tupperware container as well into a fish filter media bag, spritzed with distilled water and threw into my coolidor after taking out beads.

2 day later and its been sitting at 64% for over a day. Im pleased so far

exquisicat.jpg

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I've been using KL for about a weeks. Started it up with instructions from Rupe and it's been holding at 66 with no change. When I built the wineadore I figured why not try to run KL and if that didn't work I could change over to beads without much money wasted. So far KL is doing what people have said it would.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Gotta try this.been having fluctuations down to 61 in my humidor

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
Been using my KL for right at a year I think. The only change I had was when it switched to winter here and it got extremely dry. Had to charge the KL for the first time then. Other then that it's been holding between 66-67 since I started my wineador.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yup it's wonderful. I spread mine out in a few trays and put a metal grate on top so I could stack over it. The mesh bags seem to give off a little dust when you move them. I'm happy with it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My heartfelt beads have always had a slight and I mean slight unpleasant smell even when they were new but after using them for about 6 months they started smelling pretty bad like ammonia and turning slightly yellow. I completely dried them out a couple times and put them back and it helped but they still smell. The KL that I got (exquisicat) has no smell new and has been doing a great job so far. If it ever does start to hold an odor I will just toss it!

I have so much left I could do that for years...

Also I am in my coolidor pretty much every other day and have no problem keeping a watchful eye over RH of it needs adjustment with KL versus 2 way beads

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I guess cause its winter my humidity drops to 62. It was holding a steady 65 for weeks until this cold snap. HF beads still have 75% clear in the trays and the gel beads I have arent that dry.. Why does winter do this?

Humidity raises when I turn the heat on though

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I don't generally worry about 62-65 provided it's not rapid swings. Cigar smoke great between those ranges.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I guess cause its winter my humidity drops to 62. It was holding a steady 65 for weeks until this cold snap. HF beads still have 75% clear in the trays and the gel beads I have arent that dry.. Why does winter do this?

Humidity raises when I turn the heat on though
1. Cold sucks the humidity out of the air
2. Depends on what type of heat you have. If it's steam or hot water radiator or baseboard, there is a lot of condensation that takes place and that adds humidity to the air. FWA on the other hand dries the air. Most FWA systems have humidifiers installed to add humidity to the warm air.
3. In the winter you could add a 69% boveda to bring the humidity up or a 65% boveda. This will add a little more humidity to the environment. Or you can spray your beads and/or KL more often or both.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not touched my Wineador in a month... in Utah... in the winter. I'd say kitty litter works great. I get into it almost every day too.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Scratch that. Had my central air on tonight and the humidity dropped to 61% in the humi. Having a hard time getting it back near 64-65. Might buy a couple extra bovedas tomorrow at the local B&M. I have 3-4 65% Bovedas in there and 2 small trays of HF beads. The beads dont seem to do much. Maybe Ill get 2 65 bovedas and another little jar of gel beads

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Guys

Not trying to start any debate here ;)

Had to give the kitty litter a try since I was having problems with beads holding ammonia smell and because my curiosity couldnt handle it.

Bought a huge bag of the exquisicat crystals FRAGRANCE FREE from petsmart for around $14.

Let a big bowl of it out for 1 days to grab a little humidity and then added it into a small tupperware container as well into a fish filter media bag, spritzed with distilled water and threw into my coolidor after taking out beads.

2 day later and its been sitting at 64% for over a day. Im pleased so far

View attachment 38815
trying to go to the pet store could you tell me what brand fish bag and if it came with a filter and you just took it out? basically help? lol

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You guys have me a little curious now... My beads are getting old I think and starting to have an off smell. I may have to try this in a small humidor first. I have about four coffins laying around.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started using KL almost 4 years ago when a friend of mine suggested it and I thought he was 'high' on something. Gradually I started with one humidor and did as he suggested ( it's easy...PM for details if you need them ) and when the first 5 humidors were dialed in where I wanted them...I did the rest of the 25 humidors I had including cooleradors, windeador and tupperadors. If you find any humidor not rising as much as you want....add another cup and spritz it with DW as about 6 spritzes should have your percentage move up. If it doesn't spritz more DW until you get the desired percentage....that only takes about 8 hours to see where you sit. The larger the humidor the more KL and the more DW....and have some patience.

I've used beads and they work great but like others have said they tend to turn yellow and have a slimy feel to them and they do give off a strange scent....that was the reason I turned from beads to KL.