What's new

Kopi Luwak Coffee

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Has anyone tried this coffee? If so how was it? Any reputable place to get it online? Thanks guys:)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see this topic come up from time to time and I can't wrap my head around it. There are some things I don't want to know and would probably love drinking it if I wasn't aware of the process. The same could be said for my favorite cuts of beef as to how it gets from the slaughterhouse to my BBQ. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
No desire to make indonesian rat poo, monkey poo, or any other kind of poo-brew coffee here!

Dont be bringing none of that mess to the HERF! ;)

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You're gross bro. Lmao or brave or both. I could eat some coffee beans and then you know "send" them to you if you want. Hahaha.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
realize they are washed, then roasted, before this. also, just stop and think about cheese. or any booze. we prize careful decomp there, and yet it terrifies us here?

(for the record, it is still weird, but i am OK with a little weird in my life)

yes, i have tried it, but wasn't overwhelmed. same with jamaican blue, tasty but not ultimately worth it for me.

no, no poo taste either. no more than some of our cigars are "barnyard".

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
The coffee 'GOD' just sent me a pm its a full blown NO GO!!! Ty guys and Adam you first lol

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The coffee 'GOD' just sent me a pm its a full blown NO GO!!! Ty guys and Adam you first lol
Any particular reason why? Just wondering if animal cruelty was a factor?
Cruelty definitely is a factor. They literally hunt down then imprison these little civet cats & force feed them nothing but coffee cherry (pardon the pun, but shitty Robusta coffee cherry at that) and then drug them to make them shit out the partially digested coffee beans faster. It's a cruel novelty of a coffee to me. The cup quality borders on tainted too. If you want a similar cup at less than a quarter of the cost with similar cup characteristics (musty, damp earth, cocoa, low acidity, big body), get some dry processed or wet hulled Sumatran (or Celebes/Sulawesi or Papua New Guinea) coffee from a reputable roaster. The coffee will be way better & you won't create a market for these animals to be tortured.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cruelty definitely is a factor. They literally hunt down then imprison these little civet cats & force feed them nothing but coffee cherry (pardon the pun, but shitty Robusta coffee cherry at that) and then drug them to make them shit out the partially digested coffee beans faster. It's a cruel novelty of a coffee to me. The cup quality borders on tainted too. If you want a similar cup at less than a quarter of the cost with similar cup characteristics (musty, damp earth, cocoa, low acidity, big body), get some dry processed or wet hulled Sumatran (or Celebes/Sulawesi or Papua New Guinea) coffee from a reputable roaster. The coffee will be way better & you won't create a market for these animals to be tortured.
Talk about a paragraph of education...while I kind of knew the story behind the civet coffee I was unaware of the Celebes/Sulawesi or Papua New Guinea....to which I've done some reading and looks to be something right up my alley....Celebes Sulawesi Coffee
Sulawesi, formerly known as Celebes, lies within the Indonesian Malay archipelago. The coffee also is known as Kalossi, after a market town in the mountainous Toraja region where the coffee is grown.

A full-body profile with relatively low acidity yields a smooth and vibrant taste. Whether grown in estate or small family farms, Sulawesi coffee is a much sought after specialty coffee. Its heavy body yields a rich flavor, low acidity and nutty overtones.

Yep..I think I need a package of this and for $13.65 for 16 ounces...SOLD to the man who'd rather not deal with his conscience about the mistreatment of animals.

Known as one of the finest coffees in the world.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Talk about a paragraph of education...while I kind of knew the story behind the civet coffee I was unaware of the Celebes/Sulawesi or Papua New Guinea....to which I've done some reading and looks to be something right up my alley....Celebes Sulawesi Coffee
Sulawesi, formerly known as Celebes, lies within the Indonesian Malay archipelago. The coffee also is known as Kalossi, after a market town in the mountainous Toraja region where the coffee is grown.

A full-body profile with relatively low acidity yields a smooth and vibrant taste. Whether grown in estate or small family farms, Sulawesi coffee is a much sought after specialty coffee. Its heavy body yields a rich flavor, low acidity and nutty overtones.

Yep..I think I need a package of this and for $13.65 for 16 ounces...SOLD to the man who'd rather not deal with his conscience about the mistreatment of animals.

A bit more expensive, but here's an excellent Sulawesi Peaberry from one of the best roasters in the business:

http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/indonesia-sulawesi-toarco-peaberry.html

More info on the farmers & how the coffee is sourced it too:

http://stumptowncoffee.com/producers/toarco-company/

Last edited:

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
And the coffee 'GOD' has spoken!! Thanks Kev for the pm and the insight on the subject. I'm definitely gonna try the coffee mentioned here. Ty guys you all ROCK!!!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

A bit more expensive, but here's an excellent Sulawesi Peaberry from one of the best roasters in the business:

http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/indonesia-sulawesi-toarco-peaberry.html

More info on the farmers & how the coffee is sourced it too:

http://stumptowncoffee.com/producers/toarco-company/
Oh no....there goes some more money flying out of my wallet. That looks like a great source for what I love next to cigars and wine...coffee. The cost isn't that much more even at 12 ounces....just put that into my "Favorites" and will be using them as a Go To Vendor...thx for that info.

Last edited: