What's new

La Aroma de Cuba Monarch - UPDATED

lambing

San Jose, CA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Aroma de Cuba has gotten a lot of praise, including a 91 rating for the Corona and a "Best Buy" recommendation, both from Cigar Aficionado.

I tried the 6 x 50 Monarch, and was very disappointed. It was extremely hard to light, and wouldn't stay lit. The draw was extremely difficult, but even after I pushed a thin bamboo skewer through the cigar to open it up, keeping it lit was a problem.

Taste was pretty harsh, and the constant relighting didn't help.

I always buy 3 of any new cigar I try, as it's always possible to get a bad stick. Hopefully that is what happened with this one, and the other 2 sitting in my humidor will change my mind.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I've enjoyed the robustos which were rated high when they came out. I let them age about a year before smoking tho.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have to agree with Caudio on this one...it sounds more like a storage issue than a cigar issue. You might want to start taking pre light draws off of your cigars. Clip it, take a draw. If it don't draw well sit it in a cedar box overnight. I'll betcha it opens up for you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I tried (I too bought it on the advice of CA) was pretty good. I'm not sure it warranted a 91 rating but generally I liked it. I thought the first 2/3rds were fairly mild and smooth, with the last 1/3 being very spicy.

I probably should have aged it, but didn't.

lambing

San Jose, CA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tried another one tonight, and it was WONDERFUL.
I guess the first stick was a bad one.
Oh well, that's why I always get 3 of any new cigar.