What's new

Labeling Blank Bands

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've got some blank bands coming in soon but needed to label a few cigars last night for a local herf. I did my usual routine of cutting paper into 3/4" x 3-1/4" strips which I usually secure on the cigar using a little glue on one end of the paper.
While cutting up the strips I was bumming thinking about what a pain this was and that even when I get the self-adhesive bands I'll still have to hand write all the labels. My handwriting sucks and it gets real repetitious since I've got between 150-200 cigars that need bands.
Just about then it occurred to me that I could use some small return address labels that I happened to have. I printed the marquee, vitola and box codes on the labels from my computer and used the label to secure the paper strip rather than the glue. It worked great! They're clean looking, easy to read and have all the information I like on them (I usually have a hard time fitting it all when I write them by hand).
It also occurred to me that there's no reason I can't use these same labels on the blank bands when I get them. I went ahead and printed all the labels I will need in advance, ready for application when the bands arrive.
The labels are Avery #8167 1/2" x 1-3/4". The only drawback I've found is they come 80 to a sheet and I have to print the whole sheet when I will need only 25 or 50 of each label. But I can live with that. It'll make banding my cigars a whole heck of a lot easier!

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
how are you going to only remove a small portion of the paper backing of the labels?

my suggestion is an exacto knife, which may be tedious.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Actually, the label itself is smaller than the paper strip (1/2" x 1-3/4" vs. 3/4" x 3-1/4" for the paper strip). I just wrap the paper around the cigar and secure it with the complete label. Some of the bands I have coming in are the same size as the paper strips I've been using so I'll just apply the label to the band after I apply the band to the cigar.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Todd,
The corresponding label for laser printers would be Avery #5267. Same size label and same number per sheet. $10.49 for 25 sheets at Staples.