What's new

Laid off

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my BOTL,

So I'm new here... a little background info:

I've been at my current place of employment for over three years, I'm dedicated, very hard working, pretty knowledgeable on mostly anything asked of me, courteous and kind to all my co-workers and the public, and I have pretty great communication skills, at times better than those of the management. Last week I was called in to my supervisors office and since my promotion last year I've gotten use to periodic meetings usually to either hand me more responsibility or for more pay because of the extra work. To my dismay, I was told that because of state funding and the Governor/ legislature cutting even more of our work force this year, my position was fazed out through no fault of my own. He stated that it was their opinion that is was the only position they could cut and farm the remaining duties to remaining staff without losing efficiency... That hurt a bit.

He made it a point to show me it wasn't anything wrong I did, just really the nature of my field as a State worker. It was all very puzzling when considering I doubled my income in the past 11 months, countless bonuses and always had a can do attitude. I never said NO. Now for the first time in almost 4 years I'm having to job hunt and sale myself to keep my family above water. The slight bright spot is that my super informed me there was a vacancy up for grabs with more pay but much more effort. Of course I submitted my résumé yesterday and various other comparable jobs since finding all of this out, but my disadvantage has always been my age. I'm a young guy with a wife, two kids, and TONS of experience in a plethora of fields. I've always gotten the sense in interview they perceive me to be "making it all up", I was actually told that once.

I don't want to lose my sharpness by being out of work too long, not to mention the financial responsibility I have, so I'm hoping I get a bite on my line soon. BOTL, wish me luck, and thank you for welcoming me to this amazing place. Happy smokes!

-Ace

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Good luck Ace. Just remember that you are an asset to that company. I wish you the best of luck but I don't think you will need too much of it. In the end things work out as long as you stay positive

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to go back to those original jobs and get letters of recommendation. My resume reads crazy too but I have those letters to verify my skills so that is taken seriously when I list those jobs. Not that it matters now. I broke a lot of stuff in a bad accident and am stuck in underpaid disability. Worse than being laid off is getting up in the morning and trying to think whati can do over coffee instead of thinking about my work day. You will be back to work brother, God will open a new door, just keep knocking.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Best of luck brother. I completely understand the youth thing. I'm 25 working in a position where the next youngest person in my same position is 40. I constantly get shit from the FOGs. It sucks but it's all the better when you're running circles around them.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good luck on the job hunt. One thing I was advised on resume writing is there is nothing that says you have to put all your experience on it. Just put what is pertinent to the position. Worked for me after being out of work a year and a half.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good luck on the job hunt. One thing I was advised on resume writing is there is nothing that says you have to put all your experience on it. Just put what is pertinent to the position. Worked for me after being out of work a year and a half.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
+100 to this.

Stay positive but also humble. Don't upsell yourself so much that it's not believable. To tell you the truth, your post says you're so young but have TONS of experience in a plethora of fields. To me, this doesn't add up. So back off a bit and keep it real. ;)

Good luck to you and your family, I'm sure something will turn up.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Good luck. I'm in the same boat after being out of work for about three months now. Hoping that changes next week but we will see.

My advise is to apply to everything under the sun. The job I think I will land is something I will enjoy thoroughly, was kind of off my radar, and pays about 40k more than I thought it would.

You just never know.