What's new

LC 2014 Mold!!! HELP PLEASE!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So I really need the wisdom of my fellow BOTLS right now. I was able to track down a box of Las Calaveras 550's. I received the box today and opened it up to find bluish, greenish mold on the inside of the box (on the side the foot of the smokes rest against). I took out each stick and gently wiped them down. Some had a faint dusting on them, which I don't think was mold (wasn't fuzzy, blotchy, just didn't look like mold pics I've seen). If it wasn't for the obvious mold on the box, I never would've noticed anything. Anyway, I also inspected the foot of each smoke and only 3 out of 24 were suspicious (one had a piece of fuzz, again didn't really seem like mold; other two just seemed discolored and off, like they possibly had mold dust on them?) So I dusted the foot of each of the three suspect ones. Then I put them in a dry box. Then I put the other 21 in another dry box.

Some additional info is that the store in question where the box came from also recently had mold issues found on several boxes of mule kicks. I believe the previous cigar manager was trying to age cigars and possibly was improperly storing them. Not sure, just feel it's important to note that they've definitely had recent mold.

So any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Please see the pics below. I'm going to be asking the store for a refund. But I'm starting to feel that the smokes may be ok? Just can't get past the mold on the box and it's the color I've been told is the most alarming. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -Justin

Pics of moldy box:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pic of the other three sides (no mold):image.jpg

Pics of the 21 sticks:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pics of the three suspect sticks:
image.jpg image.jpg

Sorry if the pics aren't the greatest. I had to compress them to be under 1 MB (I did a quick job). I can repost in higher resolution if needed. Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks fellas. Dammit I was so close!!! Close but no box of LC 550 cigars! FML!

Well I will contact the store tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll get a refund.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
In Spain, that's called plume.

Hey, at least you won't be out anything. Iirc there are still a few places around you can find a box of '14s. Check the BST ISO section, I think there were a few BotLs willing to help.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yeah, I've had sticks where I just wiped it off, but I think mold growing on the actual box is easily where I'd draw the line. And that's not even spotty, looks like it's really layered.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Yup, usually I would say whipe it off and smoke'm but with the solid layer of mold on the box, I would send contact the vendor and get yourself a refund. Those pictures will do just fine for justification.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
JusBlaze - I just saw this thread and wanted to jump in....

Hard to tell from the pics--the cigars look 'ok' but the box has definite signs of mold. Honestly, this is the first I've seen/heard of mold with ANY of our cigars from My Father Cigars--let alone the Las Calaveras EL 2014.

To be sure, I opened one box from our archives shelf of LC 2014, and there was zero signs of mold. I would like to know what happens when you approach the retailer. Whatever the case, I will do my best to 'make it right' for you from our end, even though I can't replace the box of LC550s (long gone).

Here's my email: Huber@CrownedHeads.com.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

Hard to tell from the pics--the cigars look 'ok' but the box has definite signs of mold. Honestly, this is the first I've seen/heard of mold with ANY of our cigars from My Father Cigars--let alone the Las Calaveras EL 2014.

To be sure, I opened one box from our archives shelf of LC 2014, and there was zero signs of mold. I would like to know what happens when you approach the retailer. Whatever the case, I will do my best to 'make it right' for you from our end, even though I can't replace the box of LC550s (long gone).

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Man after a long day at work, it sure was nice to read your post brother! Thanks so much for responding.

To be clear, I do not think this is a CH / MF issue by any means. I believe this has to do with the manner in which the shop was storing the cigars. Now they don't see it that way and the manager I spoke with, who was very nice, swears they keep all their product "at optimum conditions." I don't know that I believe that as they've had other boxes with mold recently, but I'd like to think he's trying to do his best to resolve the matter. He says he opened another box (different size) that he claims is mold free. He's offering me that one if I pay for all the shipping involved to send the robusto's back and to ship the toro's to me, as well as the cost difference between the sizes. So I will gladly email you the store's information. To be honest I'm most concerned about what they will do with the box I ship back. Again I'd like to think they'd do the right thing and chuck them, but I'm also not impressed with the manager's claims that its impossible his store over humidified their product.

Anyway, I have mad respect for you and it's abundantly obvious how much you care about your craft, as well as the BOTLS who enjoy your smokes every day! Thanks again for your response and I'll email you shortly.

Respectfully,
Justin (aka JusBlaze)

Rating - 100%
55   0   0

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Now that's customer service

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Now that's customer service
Just one of the many reasons I'm a Crowned Heads fan.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Those pics put a lump in my throat...deep sadness as I have a box and a half left of my stock. I'd return them as well but for some reason the money just isn't going to settle for what was lost..like a death in the family...tragic.
Exactly brother!!! Well said sir!