What's new

Leaf Advice

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WLT offers Ecuadorian Habano Corona wrapper ( https://wholeleaftobacco.com/product/ecuador-habano-corona/ ) which the reviews there praise for its flavor and aroma. But a recent review complains it does not burn well.

Who here has tried this wrap?
Whattaya think?
Hey Webmost,

I picked up a lb of it from WLT, have not used it yet myself. It was the only lb from WLT I have received that had some larger patches of mold. Some leaves were chucked. A couple sticks I’ve tried with the wrapper burned a little wonky, but I believe that would have been due to not letting them dry out longer. The flavors were good and robust, but could easily overshadow some lighter fillers if added. Just my experience so far. Will need to revisit. Did you want to try some before buying? I could send you some leaf to play around with if you’d like?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Webmost,

I picked up a lb of it from WLT, have not used it yet myself. It was the only lb from WLT I have received that had some larger patches of mold. Some leaves were chucked. A couple sticks I’ve tried with the wrapper burned a little wonky, but I believe that would have been due to not letting them dry out longer. The flavors were good and robust, but could easily overshadow some lighter fillers if added. Just my experience so far. Will need to revisit. Did you want to try some before buying? I could send you some leaf to play around with if you’d like?
I'll swap you some leaf. Tell me what you lack.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I honestly don't see how that leaf's gonna be good for you. Strong, intense, poor burner. Doesn't seem like your wheelhouse. I haven't used it, but I read things.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I honestly don't see how that leaf's gonna be good for you. Strong, intense, poor burner. Doesn't seem like your wheelhouse. I haven't used it, but I read things.

Thing is, I like the flavorful Criollo 98 I am using on 73s right now... but these leaves are too small and not stretchy enough to adapt to a delicado, where you have tapers on both ends and a reasonably long barrel. Would like to find something as large and stretchy as a CT shade, but more flavorful. I dunno... grasping as straws, I guess. We'll see how it burns. At WLT, among the reviews, Goff extols its stretch and strength, while a guy I don't know doesn't like the burn.

Where else did you read?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thing is, I like the flavorful Criollo 98 I am using on 73s right now... but these leaves are too small and not stretchy enough to adapt to a delicado, where you have tapers on both ends and a reasonably long barrel. Would like to find something as large and stretchy as a CT shade, but more flavorful. I dunno... grasping as straws, I guess. We'll see how it burns. At WLT, among the reviews, Goff extols its stretch and strength, while a guy I don't know doesn't like the burn.

Where else did you read?
I don't remember what else I've read. Just been left with an impression from various reads. Goff might be apt to report positive things when possible for WLT products, and if he didn't tout the flavor, only the stretch and strength, that might be worrisome. I reckon you'll know soon enough since someone is hooking you up.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
FrostD sent me some corona wrapper leaf to test for flammability. It sure failed the smolder test. Here's links to a vid of this test, and another link to a similar test of the Criollo 98 wrapper for comparison:

Click here to see how the Ecuadorian Corona wrapper smoldered

Click here to see how the Criollo 98 wrap smolders
(I stopped recording the criollo smolder after 35 secs cause it was just going on and on)

Or, if vids doesn't work for you, here's a pic of the final product:
The shred on the right is all that was left of the criollo. The left is the Corona, almost intact.

So, it most definitely does not like to burn.

On the other hand, it's thin enough that it should burn if there's good heat to keep it going. So it might suit if I were using a binder that liked to burn. Which is not the bronceado I have been using.

Ergo, tests will continue with some other binder.

n.b.:
I gotta get into some kinda vid editing, so I can figure how to post a 35 sec vid that does not weigh in at 85 megatroids.
Bliss, you got a suggestion? Or you just use whatever YouTube does to slenderize these things?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
FrostD sent me some corona wrapper leaf to test for flammability. It sure failed the smolder test. Here's links to a vid of this test, and another link to a similar test of the Criollo 98 wrapper for comparison:

Click here to see how the Ecuadorian Corona wrapper smoldered

Click here to see how the Criollo 98 wrap smolders
(I stopped recording the criollo smolder after 35 secs cause it was just going on and on)

Or, if vids doesn't work for you, here's a pic of the final product:
View attachment 162577
The shred on the right is all that was left of the criollo. The left is the Corona, almost intact.

So, it most definitely does not like to burn.

On the other hand, it's thin enough that it should burn if there's good heat to keep it going. So it might suit if I were using a binder that liked to burn. Which is not the bronceado I have been using.

Ergo, tests will continue with some other binder.

n.b.:
I gotta get into some kinda vid editing, so I can figure how to post a 35 sec vid that does not weigh in at 85 megatroids.
Bliss, you got a suggestion? Or you just use whatever YouTube does to slenderize these things?
I use Davinci Resolve 17 (it's free) to edit my stuff, and you can render out at whatever quality, bit rate, etc, settings you want, which gives you a bigger or smaller video file. But I usually go for a high-quality (big) render anyway, and then let YT do as they may. I don't know how big your files are, but mine tend to take 5 or 10 minutes to upload.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use Davinci Resolve 17 (it's free) to edit my stuff, and you can render out at whatever quality, bit rate, etc, settings you want, which gives you a bigger or smaller video file. But I usually go for a high-quality (big) render anyway, and then let YT do as they may. I don't know how big your files are, but mine tend to take 5 or 10 minutes to upload.
Downloading now
Thanks

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A quickie test delicado wrapped with this Ec Corona:

Still wet
I let it set a day, then sparked it this morning
Terrific flavor; but went out half way thru

May try this with an even more flammable binder, as a narrow strip of wrap.
The flavor may be worth it.
And a long seasoning may improve the burn.

I dunno.