What's new

Leaf Fermenting

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Afternoon Gents,

I was curious if anyone has any experience the would like to share about fermenting leafs after purchase. I know some people have mentioned it, I just haven't found a thread for it. Any information would be awesome.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem we have is we really don't know the history of the leaf we purchase. Some may very well be fermented and aged properly. We have no way of knowing.

If the leaf has already been fermented there will be little, if any, improvement. There's also a good chance you will make things worse if you don't adhere to the procedure exactly. It's very easy to have the temperatures fluctuate and cause numerous problems. Mold can also form very quickly if the moisture is too high. If the temp is high enough for mold not to form the overly moist tobacco will literally cook. Things have to be just right. So the oven you use should be like a convection oven with uniformity from top to bottom. I found it difficult to prevent hot spots from occurring even when using fans.

There were several of us who tried this method and I'd bet all the leaf ended up in the dumper. It can get skunky real easy.

There's a reason that growers in the U.S. (and elsewhere) send their tobacco to the Dominican and Nicaragua for fermentation. More stable temperatures year round and they know what they're doing and they're set up to do it right.

If you should try the fermentation please let us know what happens.

Here's the best reading I've seen on the subject. Good luck!

https://archive.org/stream/tobaccocuringres00phil#page/n3/mode/2up

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other very important point is the necessity of enzymes required for fermentation to take place. New leaf taken from the field has exactly what it needs to ferment given the proper environment. It's rich with the right formulae for natural fermentation.

If your leaf doesn't have the proper enzymes it will just lay in the kiln and slow cook. Not good.

Does our tobacco still retain these needed enzymes ??? Who knows.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a great book. Here's some good reading too. cigaradvisor/author/nickperdomo part 5 to start. it's all good though.
You will find a reoccurring theme in these reads. Getting to knowing what the leaf needs.
I have applied heat with less success. though, it seems the leaf will create heat on it’s own when doing it. all I do is spread it out on a plank and rotate as I spray it beyond what is normal. stack it in a 10 quart container for fillers. wrappers and binders are left in there hands and while shaking in the air are sprayed and put in a larger 10/15 gallon tub. there is rotation and aeration as needed. the as needed part has to do with the getting to know part in the body and condition of the leaf. You’ll know if it’s to much when it falls apart. I don’t make it to wet but, I will spray the inside of the lid. If I leave it, there will be significant drying.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I grew some tobacco a few years back and fermented it. It was an adventure. I smoked some unfermented leaves so I could compare. The unfermented are VERY harsh. All the leaves I've bought taste OK so I'm sure all the leaves from the suppliers are fermented.
I tried a few ways to ferment the leaves I grew. I ended up putting them in unsealed plastic bags to keep the humidity high. I put the bags into an insulated box and used a light bulb to get the heat to the desired level. I aerated the leaves every few days for about 6 weeks. Using external heat is a faster then the natural method. It worked for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find a reoccurring theme in these reads. Getting to knowing what the leaf needs.
Exactly. Fermenting requires the use of all your senses. These books have the knowledge but they don't supply you with the necessary wisdom.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."