What's new

Leaf that plays well with others,,,and those that don't.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!
So I have been at this off and on for about two yrs now. I still have yet to make a blend that I am happy with.
I personally like NC's that are of the AJ Fernandez, AF, JDN, Monte, and La Aurora.

I am starting to become pretty frustrated with this and wanting to see if anyone would be willing to use their experience in making a list like the title. I typically make belicoso size if that helps. And I have most of the standard offerings of LO and WLT. I have read the blend thread, but I am afraid I have not been able to get anywhere with it.

FYI, I am really liking the T13 from WLT right now.

Can you help a brotha out?:blackeye:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I rolled my first T13 blend and smoked it today. It was very simple just to see what all this T13 is about. I put in some Cibao Valley Vuelta Abajo Seco with it. This was bound and wrapped with LO Ecuador Shade Seco. The smoke was very smooth. Now I'm going to try a couple different ligeros to see what they will bring.
I've not gone with just seco and viso before so this was a new experiment for me. It is a method I read here on BOTL by one of the more senior rollers. Adjusting your seco and viso then slowly adding ligero for the desired strength / flavors.

Sometimes, I have found rolls that dissapointed me when fresh were very enjoyable 4 months later. Maybe your rolls just need to rest?
There are so many possible variables, it's hard to say why you aren't finding a blend you like...can you tell us what you've tried? Specifically?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So today I added CV Criollo Ligero (.5 leaf) to the mix and it lost its smoothness. That one's out on this mix. Next time I'll try either Piloto Cubano or Nicaraguan Habano ligero to the mix to see if they play well together.
Edit: Of course this is all my opinion, you may like something totally different @Crusader

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I like what Jim is doing here!
First, you need a starting point. Mix two things together and see what it tastes like, I prefer to do this immediately in a cheeroot (aka no wrapper). If it tastes good, roll 2 or 3 and use only one kind of wrapper, something you know and hopefully understand. Try it again in a week, month, etc. Then, take that blend and add a leaf. Repeat the initial learning process and roll a few to let age. KEEP GOOD NOTES!!! I have my main blend that all I do is change one leaf at a time until I understand what the leaf brings to the table. I love the blend as is, but it so fun to experiment and discover new profiles. In case you're curious, it's the BV blend! Feel free to make/tweak/enjoy it as a starting point (or as is :p )

Also, I am all for "K.I.S.S." in blending. I don't like mixing more than 3 leaves together (hell, I barely use more than 2 types of filler lately). Too many variables. Then again, I'm too scientific about this so... and I didn't even talk about the contribution the binder gives, how wet the leaf is, how long it sits in the mold, vitola, mojo, dry boxing, aging, microwave drying, beverage choice while smoking......... gahhhhhh!

Brazilian Villain (numbers in ratios for varying vitolas):
1 Dominican Seco (I use piloto from LO now, this also works with WLT Dom seco)
1 Brazilian Mata Fina (The new binder stuff works great as filler)
0.5 Criollo Ligero (WLT, he's outta stock now but I have been playing with different ligeros here)
Ec. Habano Binder (LO)
Ec. Habano Viso wrapper (LO, but once again, something I have been toying with is wrapper)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The advice to start simple, make minor tweaks, and take good notes are all very good. Also, your blend can taste very different two months post roll vs fresh. Always make sure you let your samples dry before smoking or at least before giving final judgement. An iffy blend can become good in a few months, but a great blend is usually very good right away.

I have found that corojo and criollo work very well together. My usual is to add a Dominican ligero to a blend of the two various seco and visos. A habano goes in the blend as a condiment well also. The corojo and criollo by themselves is usually good enough and you can play with various binders and wrappers and have an endless variety of flavors.

My suggestion: roll some of @hopduros blend, it is very good. Roll something that is a corojo and criollo combo. See which of the two suits your style better and work from there.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Exactly this, start with something known! That marshmallow blend is on here somewhere too
The advice to start simple, make minor tweaks, and take good notes are all very good. Also, your blend can taste very different two months post roll vs fresh. Always make sure you let your samples dry before smoking or at least before giving final judgement. An iffy blend can become good in a few months, but a great blend is usually very good right away.

I have found that corojo and criollo work very well together. My usual is to add a Dominican ligero to a blend of the two various seco and visos. A habano goes in the blend as a condiment well also. The corojo and criollo by themselves is usually good enough and you can play with various binders and wrappers and have an endless variety of flavors.

My suggestion: roll some of @hopduros blend, it is very good. Roll something that is a corojo and criollo combo. See which of the two suits your style better and work from there.
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have in the mold right now.
Belicoso
All filler and binder WLT.
2 nic habano seco
1 piloto cubano viso
1/2 nic habano ligers
Bound in pa broad leaf
Will wrap in Ecuador seco from L/O ( I believe it's H2k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I will have to try corojo/criollo together

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So a long time ago, in a thread still nearby, the great enabler ( @BrewinHooligan ) commented on saving info in Google docs. I liked his idea and started shortly there after. This is what I've saved from BOTL recipes posted here and there:
BHMM RECIPE

My marshmallow blend: 1/2 nica habano seco, 1/2 corojo seco, 1 corojo viso, 1/2 dom ligero, dom binder.

BH Mischievous Marshmallow:

Mischievous Marshmallow
Blend information:
1/2 leaf corojo seco (wlt), 1/2 leaf Nica habano seco (wlt), 1 corojo viso (wlt), 1/2 Dominican ligero (Jorge w/Rollers Choice), Dominican binder (wlt), Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper (LO)

Gdaddy favorite as of 6/2017:

1 leaf WLT Corojo viso

1 leaf Dom seco

Dom seco binder

Brazilian Arapiraca

Nicks house blend:

Filler: 1 WLT Criollo Seco, 1 WLT Corojo Viso, 1 WLT Criollo Ligero

Binder: WLT Honduran Habanos

Wrapper: Jorge H2K

BrewinHooligan medium blend:

I have been enjoying milder cigars lately. To keep with that theme I decided to roll up a blend that is milder but has lots of complexity and flavor. Rolled up a batch with 1 leaf nica habano seco, 1 leaf corojo seco, 1 leaf piloto cubano ligero, a double Ecuadorian habano seco binder, and wrapped with Mata Fina.

First impression is that this is more medium than mild and I'm ok with that. It is very complex. It has a natural sweetness from the Mata Fina. The flavors remind me of a candied walnut with Christmas spices and a hint of cream. The flavor profile is similar to what I experience from the Illusione brand. This will be the first blend I roll in my 54rg mold I think.

Blisscigarco recommendation when I asked:

1) I have four secos that I think are great super-high quality leaves, and which I can freely mix for a wide variety of base cigar profiles. They are LO Piloto seco, Honduran seco, Olor seco, and Piloto Volado. The volado is my favorite: it has the richest, creamiest flavor. I start with 2-4 of one or two of these seco varieties (some are creamier, some are sweeter, some have kitchen spice, some have pepper, etc.). 2) If I want a version with more strength then I add small amounts (half leaf to start) of a viso or ligero that I know I like, e.g. WLT Nica Habano, until I arrive at the strength I'm seeking. This can be zero viso/ligero, or a half leaf of viso, or a leaf of viso and half of ligero, etc. 3) Wrap it in a good wrapper. In my case that wrapper is currently the most recent batch of CT Shade I got from webmost. I've been typically rolling 4 sticks of some mix with those six leaves, then I smoke them over the coming days, then mix it up a little bit for the next run of four. No aging required, because the tobacco is already excellent. The key to this all coming together in the last month or two was when I bought 1/4 lbs of most of the LO secos and tested them in various blends and as puros and found those four (I had used the Volado and Honduran extensively and successfully a couple years ago, but then got lost in a dark forest for a long time). And then recently getting a great batch of wrapper from Web.

No idea if this recipe would work for you or anyone besides me. I think most people here prefer Very Strong cigars whereas I prefer Medium.

Hopduro’s Brazilian Villain :

The blend (proportions) lovingly known as Brazilian Villain #1:
1 Nicaraguan ligero
2 Brazilian viso
2 dominican seco
Dominican binder

The Brazilian wrapper over the top of this blend was amazing and so far my absolute favorite homeroll in the 44 rg format. In my notes (yup, i always take notes on these! ) i described the stick as having rich, smooth and creamy espresso in the first half, hints of cedar mixed in, and ended with earthy richness, peppery spice, and a smattering of licorice.

More Hopduro recipes:

For example, one of my now favorite blends is incredibly simple with 1:1 Colombian Seco:Brazilian Habano Viso.

(Cafe Oro) I absolutely love the simplest blend i came up with: Colombian seco and Mata fina. Earthy, horseshitty, rich coffee, and that is just a cheroot with a dominican binder! Add a wrapper and now you've changed everything. San andreas adds some spice and leather. Mata fina adds a creamy latte sweetness. Ec habano rounds out the flavors and accents the coffee.

Webmost recipes :

...mata fina and piloto bound and wrapped in half a leaf of that LO Ec shade H2k seco. The leaves are plenty large enough so that after you cut out a strip from your half leaf for wrapper, you have enough left over to bind the next one. I stashed a box of perfectos like this in January which I'm looking forward to burning for my birthday in July. I call them matalotos…

Takes just two and a half leaves to make one, if the leaves are decent size: 1 mata, one piloto, one half H2k wrapper.

Circle of Leaf Winners

Brazilian Villain Tweak #26, by Hopduro

Binder: LO Ecuador seco
Wrapper: LO Ecuador viso
Filler: 1:1 mata fina to flojo viso (WLT)

Flan, by Webmost:

Wrapper: LO Sumatra binder
Binder: LO Colombian
Filler: 1/2 leaf each WLT corojo seco, viso, ligero; & 1/2 leaf LO Dominican olor (seco?)

Also #2

Nick Tubo #2:

Wrapper: HB2K WLT (marked as 2010 crop)
Binder: Nic (mojo'd) (LO)
Filler:
1 dom criollo 98 ligero WLT ( mojo'd and no stems)
2 dom seco WLT (stems in)
2 braz habano viso LO (stems in)
These are leaf counts , not exact ratios.

Jim D Favorites 6.04.18

The Bloody Toe is still a favorite.

1 Corojo Seco

1 Corojo Viso

1 Criollo Ligero

.25 CTBL filler

Dom binder and Ecuador Seco Wrapper

I'm out of Corojo seco now….

1 Piloto Cubano Seco

1 Brazilian Habano Viso

1 Piloto Cubano Ligero

Wrapped in Ecuador Seco

Pretty smooth with only 5 days on it, not a pepper blast or anything. Just smooth and light spice.

(Tried .5 ps, 1 bhv, .5 pl. The 1,1,1 recipe above is better)

I hope no one minds my reposting their info, if somebody does, let me know and I'll remove it.
Hope this helps @Crusader

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Awesome notes @Jim D! Quick disclaimer on my blends and in particular the mischievous marshmallow. Due to quality/availability issues I have switched binders to LO Nicaraguan binder on that one(which was a pretty decent improvement) and most other blends as well, and I use ecuadorian binder other places(namely the cherry bomb). I no longer use any Dominican binder. The marshmallow blend wrapper has been changed to LO PA Oscuro which also brought another improvement to the blend.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what region in the Dominican Republic the Corojo viso, seco and Ligero is from. It has the reddish brown hue as oppose the the light brownish tan color that the Cibao Valley has. Does anybody know?? It’s so interesting how different regions and different micro climates within the same region can effect color, fragrance and flavor.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
@nic house blend (~5.5x44) :
Filler: 1 WLT Criollo Seco, 1 WLT Corojo Viso, 1 WLT Criollo Ligero
Binder: Varies
Wrapper: Varies
I made a few edits above. The binder and wrapper change regularly dependent on what I currently have, or feel like smoking. I recommend a neutral binder but mostly use LO Nicaraguan binder (or LO Nicaraguan Jalapa seco, same thing I think), and LO Ecuadorian Shade binder. Pick any wrapper you like. This is a medium + to full blend that will sneak up on you, so be mindful how much punch your wrapper is bringing. WLT Corojo wrapper on this blend can be mind altering strong.

Excellent notes @Jim D - thanks for sharing!

Last edited: