What's new

Lens advice needed!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey BOTL, I need some input in regards to a lens.
I went to take some shots of my wife and daughter doing Christmas stuff, and my camera wouldn't work. After messing with it for a few, my wife recalled she was trying to get a crying baby out the door and in the process the camera fell off the table and hit the ground.
The good news, just the lens was damaged. The camera is fine. Bad news, now all I have are a 50mm and 70-300mm lens.
I shoot with a Canon 20d (APS-C camera), and I'm interested in getting a 35mm lens. But, I have read that because my camera is APS-C, a 24mm would actually shoot the same as a 35mm. My budget is very tight, a 24mm is much cheaper, so I'm hoping that is the case.
Can anyone suggest places that sell used lenses? What non-Canon brands are just as good? Anything else you suggest is appreciated!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The crop ratio is around 1.6x for APS-C. So a 24mm would essentially shoot as a 38mm. So yes, you are correct. I love shooting at 35mm as well. I have the 35mm f/2 prime and it's my staple lens.

I'd suggest trying here: http://www.adorama.com/l/Used/Lenses/Canon~SLR-Lenses?sel=Fixed-Focal-Length_24mm

Although in my experience, it can be tough to find a good deal on used lenses compared to new. Since most hold their value so well.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
if you are willing to get an f1.8 lens (instead of an f1.4), the prices in lenses go down dramatically. you are just sacrificing 2/3 of an f-stop, and also the barrel of the lens is most likely of lesser quality. for example, the nikon 35mm 1.4 is around 1800$US, while the 35mm 1.8 can be had for under 200$US.

that said... the "off brand" lenses that i use are made by Sigma. they used to be known for crappy, entry-level lenses, but they have stepped up their game. independent tests and reviews of their newer lenses have them performing better than the nikon/canon equivalent.

hope that helps!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You say budget it tight so I'll assume under $500. Canon has a 24mm f2.8 for $130. And a 28mm f1.8 for $450 or so. I shoot on a 40d and like Leighton use the hell out of my 35f2. But that may be a longer lens than you want on a 1.6x crop camera.

But check the mounts when you look to make sure it's compatible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wow, that Canon 24mm really seems nice, and for a great price!
Seems it would be a great for city shots, landscape and just general shooting.
The 28mm is sweet as well, but with just me working these days, even $400 is steep.
Thanks for the input guys!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
What's your max budget? Do you want more of a all around glass or just a prime glass?
My wife is going to get me a lens for my birthday in a couple months. I think her budget is around $350-$400.
In terms of use, I'm looking for: shots of my child in action, cityscape/street photography, product placement, everyday use, events/gatherings and things like that.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My wife is going to get me a lens for my birthday in a couple months. I think her budget is around $350-$400.
In terms of use, I'm looking for: shots of my child in action, cityscape/street photography, product placement, everyday use, events/gatherings and things like that.

When I was shooting solely on my 7D this was my go to glass:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801289879-USE/canon_3560b002_ef_s_15_85mm_f_3_5_5_6_is.html

^^ that lens there is a beast and is great for every day use and perfect for what you need. It's used but honestly every glass I bought used from them has been perfect. I'd def look into that glass.. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
That lens Jmphtog linked is very good all around. I just like 2.8 and lower. And don't like the aperture changing when I zoom. But if could work for you depending on how you shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Depends on whether you want that 2.8 or not. And whether you mind changing lenses often. I have all primes right now but am hoping to switch to zooms soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Depends on whether you want that 2.8 or not. And whether you mind changing lenses often. I have all primes right now but am hoping to switch to zooms soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very valid points. I think I'm leaning more towards the 15-85, as it seems to be very versatile. If I want to try out the 24mm, I can always grab the pancake model for around $125 or so used.