What's new

Leon Jimenes

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Size: Robusto ( 5 1/2" x 50 )
Wrapper: USA Conn Shade, natural
Binder / Filler: Dominican Rep.

I worked most of the weekend, helping a friend of my mom get her house ready to sell (she's moving to Alaska) ... so I didn't have much time to smoke. I did grab one cigar Saturday afternoon though and will review it.

I believe Leon Jimenez cigars are made by the La Aurora factory in the DR. They don't make many strong cigars and this was no exception. I could see it was well constructed though, with it's simple gold and red band.

This robusto had a nice, shiny, light brown wrapper with a few small veins. The roll was nice and solid with some springiness and the pre-light draw has some mild resistance. After lighting the first few puffs had some vegetal bitterness, but this quickly changed to a core of coffee / cedary tobacco flavors with a touch of mild spiciness. These flavors mostly stayed throughout the smoke - getting just a touch stronger in the last 2/3rds of the cigar.

In the second third I tasted some noticeable straw / grassy flavors, but these did not carry over into the last third of the cigar. This was not a bad thing by any means - just adding to the complexity of flavors. Overall I'd put these in the medium strength / body category, so they are a good morning or afternoon cigar. The burn was fairy even all the way and the draw produced a good amount of smoke. I've smoked a number of these and they are fairly consistent with regard to this review. The Leon Jimenes robustos are in the $3-$4 range, which makes them a good value.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Sounds a LOT like the cigar I smoked this weekend from the no band contest. The stick I sampled was mostly coffee and espresso throughout. I am thinking the stick I smoked was Nicaraguan, so not sure this is the one.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I enjoy those myself and always keep some on hand. If you like that flavor profile you might like the Por Larranaga Honduran. There's a Rothschilde size that I find very nice.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I enjoy those myself and always keep some on hand. If you like that flavor profile you might like the Por Larranaga Honduran. There's a Rothschilde size that I find very nice.
Thanks but I've never been a fan of Honduran cigars. To me, they all have a core flavor of spice + leather that is not appealing.

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
They are a good smoke to have around.....I've got a box in storage and from time to time I take one out and burn it's little feet...........