What's new

Less for more

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Are Altadis' many recent releases of smaller count boxes due to their upward trend pricing of EL's and habanos in general? The Monte D's in 10s? I wonder if they are getting backstocked with EL's because they want half a grand for 25 ct. box or more. Which makes you ask - how 'limited' are these things really?

It's a classic marketing scheme of continously trying to suck money from your pockets - year after year with EL's. To me, EL's feed on the One Hit Wonder analogy perfectly. I feel like I'm being forced to Hot Top Pop music.

Sadly, people will continue buying these One Hit Wonders up but is the recent move to smaller box counts just their way to justify their increasing prices? Or is demand down because a full box is so outrageously priced?

And I call bullshit on these bigger, badder cigars due to this 'increased demand' from their main markets. They call it their justification for charging more. That's if they don't come out underfilled.

I'd say Altadis is using this ruse soley to entice and disguise the price factor. Altadis is getting very greedy and it doesn't look good.

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see a MRN book released in a few years with three times as many pages; just to list the more shallow box counts under each marca - and the EL's.

Ultimately, you can only vote with your wallet. Thanks for listening.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Fug it!

They can have their damn ELs...I'm not biting this hook!

That Monte D packaging is rather neat, 3-4-3, but cigars are not supposed to be a novelty. In the end that cool packaging just ends up in a corner or on a shelf somewhere.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well said Todd. Plenty of regular production smokes with cool packaging if you want to go that route.

I think one of the things that Habanos counts on as well is that it is well known now that aging can change cigars to a large degree. So you come out with something limited, that you may only be able to buy now for a certain price that may turn out to be the best cigar ever in 5-10 years. Well imagine what it will cost in 5-10 years to get your hands on them. And there you go. The "I gotta get these just in CASE" mentality.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have to disagree, somewhat.

I am not really an EL fan but the upcoming release of the Monte D has my attention. I have enjoyed a few Monte DC and Robusto ELs and want to check these out.

I will probably get a box or two depending on the price. I think the 10 cound box will make it more appealing to people that don't have the deep pockets to spend $$$ on a 25 count box. However, a $15 cigar is a $15 no matter if its in a 25 or 10 count box.

Besides if there is a cigar we want, what do we usually do if we can't afford a whole box? We organize a box split.

Personally I don't see a problem with the 3, 5 and 10 packs or the 10 count EL Monte's.

Yes, I do agree that EL's might not be as Limited as they make them out to be and yes, I do think they are trying to suck money out of our pockets with these...but the packaging in 10 I don't have a problem with.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Fug it!

They can have their damn ELs...I'm not biting this hook!

That Monte D packaging is rather neat, 3-4-3, but cigars are not supposed to be a novelty. In the end that cool packaging just ends up in a corner or on a shelf somewhere.

LMAO. Your statement will make a liar out of you. I surmise you will be buying some, Todd. You just can't help it. lol :crackwhip

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I know you'll get the Monte D, Todd. You STUNAD!!!

Hehe

I know I'll be involved with splits on all the cigars in question. Don't hate!

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I look at it as a positive thing. Yes the per stick prices are inflated, but I have never (obviously) and will never (most likely) see a Monte Dalia again. What that means is I'll most likely buy two boxes soon. One to smoke over the next few years and one to keep for a long while, continually progressing forward in their varnished box. I am not buying these for the packaging, rather the fact that Monte's are one of my favorite Marcas in a size that is absolutely my prefered. What's not to like. I have more cigars then I can smoke now anyways so I might as well buy less cigars and smoke others in my collection rather then these. Yes, a box of RASS for the same price would be nice too, but I'll pay more for a once in a lifetime cigar. I understand what you're saying Vipe about a false Limited edition, but I am looking at this as my only opp to experience a great fit for my personal likes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think much of the price gouging occurs through the online vendors and retailers, not Habanos SA. RyJ Hermoso No. 2 is only $230 in Cuba vs $200 for a box of churchills. SD3 was only about $25 more than a box of SD4 when they were available. Look at the P2. People will pay a premium just to get it 'first', while the correct pricing in Cuba is the same as the Monte 2.

3 and 5 packs are for the most part, are created for tourists so that they can bring a variety of cigars back home or not come home empty handed when they discover a box of Cohiba Robustos cost $250+. Much easier to spend $35 on a 3 pack. IF you can find 'correct' pricing in Cuba for the small packs, there is a minimal premium. Again, if you find gouging, it is through the retailer not Habanos SA.

As far as the ELs, I don't have a single stick in my humi. I tend to be a value shopper when it comes to cigars. The EL don't fit my criteria.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Kurtdesign1 said:
Yes the per stick prices are inflated, but I have never (obviously) and will never (most likely) see a Monte Dalia again.
That's exactly my point. They're greedily charging the prices they do for that sole reason.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy or haven't purchased ELs myself. Because I have. But most of the releases are not valued at the price their asking for. And isn't so much just based on a personal opinion - the trend of pricing increases and necessity to offer lower box counts shows it.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
the nub said:
I think much of the price gouging occurs through the online vendors and retailers, not Habanos SA. RyJ Hermoso No. 2 is only $230 in Cuba vs $200 for a box of churchills. SD3 was only about $25 more than a box of SD4 when they were available. Look at the P2. People will pay a premium just to get it 'first', while the correct pricing in Cuba is the same as the Monte 2.
It's pretty clear why habanos are cheaper in Cuba. You're talking about the cost difference of shipping inventory to distributors in other countries. Then those distributors need to make their cut as well. And let's not forget that some of the most competitive vendors include shipping costs to you in their box prices.

And the competition of such vendors drives the prices in our favor. There will always be price gouging vendor but I'm speaking based on some of the most respectable and best priced ones around. When you get a good sampling of vendors with similiar pricing on a certain box, you can expect them to making only enough margin above a comfort level.