What's new

Let it dry

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Recently I have received some packages of tobacco samplers from fellow BOTL and noticed their tobacco was considerably drier than mine. I was kind of confused because I keep mine at the same moisture content as it is when I buy it or open the tin, that is I don't let it dry and neither do I add any water to it.

Well, when I smoked bowls from these dry samples I noticed there was no 'bubbling' and virtually zero tongue bite. It was super easy to keep the tobacco lit with small sips. So lately I have been letting a bowls worth of tobacco sit out in the open air for 20-30 minutes before smoking/packing and I couldn't be happier with the results. Every bowl stays lit rather easily, I can smoke the entire bowl without ending up with super wet doddle, and I have virtually eliminated any over heating and tongue bite.

I know a few of you pipe veterans may already be well aware of this but I thought it was pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I was doing that for a while also, but one time, ( at band camp) i left it out too long! fried my mouth on the first light and took about a week for my taste buds to rejuvinate !!! Make sure you don't forget that you left it out!!!!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Todd, I'm going to try this. I often get bubbling toward the end as well. Plus, I think we get our tobacco from the same place. :thumbsup:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Ohpus,
I know of what you speak...I did the same thing, burned my tongue, on some really dry tobacco I tried once.

Greg,
It has worked with all of my tobaccos thus far. The only draw back I have experienced with the Boswell tobacco is that is slightly reduces the vibrance of the flavors.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
A most helpful thread, this. I have been dabbling in pipes for a few weeks now and getting a bit frustrated at times for the same reasons discussed by Todd. I notice that all of the tobaccos I purchased, although of high quality, were very moist. As it happens, a BOTL sent me a sample along with another trade item. That tobacco was much drier than any I have purchased. I smoked some over the weekend and was stunned at how easily it burned. For the first time, I had NO tongue bite. The flavor was absolutely superb and it was easy to keep the pipe burning.

This thread gives me a key piece of information that I could not find anywhere else. Todd, much thanks for bringing it up. :applause:

My guess is that pipe tobaccos are shipped "wet" and probably need some drying. This begs the question: what is the best method for doing so, or did Todd hit it with his post?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I also think that the tobacconists keep it "wet" for a couple of reasons...to keep it in saleable condition and to make it heavier...i.e. less 'baccy goes out for the same $$$.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this will be a rather helpful post. I haven't tried it yet, and had never thought to let my tobacco dry for any period of time, but I'll definitely give it a go now.