What's new

Lighting Question : cigar not in equasion

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey Folks. I had a spare taper switch and put it the bathroom because the vanity lamp (s) are a little bright if I go to the loo late at night.
It's replacing a "single pole' switch and and only drives a three low wattage bulb assembly above the medicine cabinet..
When it's on 50% , nice warm light, I can hear the bulbs hum. Like you hear on a florescent assy.

I know you can't use these pots on ceiling fan motors and exotic lamps that deploy a local "step down circuit " or use ballast.
But this is just 3 x 40w 120vac bulbs in series. I've done plenty of electrical work here in fact I put this drop, and vanity, in here a decade ago.
So this is just the bulbs resonating at the lower frequency, (wattage) , right?

Sorry, no one I know to ask around here. And Google keeps taking me to Lowes.:)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IF they are the old type of bulb it's probably the switch making the noise. If they are the newer halogen or LED lights they have to be "dimmable".

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
IF they are the old type of bulb it's probably the switch making the noise. If they are the newer halogen or LED lights they have to be "dimmable".
Thanks. They're standard, cheap 40w bulbs, with a standard socket. This is it here. The noise is coming from the bulbs. But yeah, there are supposed to be higher quality dimmer switches that manage the pulsing. Gonna try a better switch or else I'll need to find heartier bulbs.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've never heard the filament inside a bulb vibrate enough to make a hum like that. You would think the filament would shake itself apart and go out pretty quickly. Good luck sounds kind of strange. The least expensive dimmer switches from HD are over $20