What's new

Lighting your pipe?

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
What do you guys typically prefer for lighting your pipe? I've been using matches almost exclusively but the other night I ran out and had to use a Bic lighter. I didn't notice a difference as far as taste goes but I'd imagine that ligher fluid can affect the flavor. Do they make special "pipe lighters" ?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
They do, usually the flame comes out the side of the lighter so it's easier to light the pipe. A quick Google search should get you started. Don't own one personally so can't really give any recommendations.

Dan

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thats what im going to use good ol stick match until I get one of those gadgets Dan is talking about. I just ordered my pipe the other day now im waiting...and waiting...I read you should wait until the sulfur burns then light. Then there's a false light????

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Like Dan mentioned, a pipe lighter emits the flame at a 90 degree angle for more efficient lighting. A Bic light should not have given you a "lighter fluid" taste.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mostly use matches, but when I'm outside or traveling with my pipes I use a Zippo with a pipe chimney. I guess my taste buds are messed up but I can't taste any lighter fuild. The only problems I have with using a BIC is you have to be careful not to scorch the top of the pipe.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I guess Im getting one of those pipe lighters too....hmmmm I hope this one doesn't get out of hand, like it did when I first started smoking cigars. One thing led to another...then another.......

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I guess Im getting one of those pipe lighters too....hmmmm I hope this one doesn't get out of hand, like it did when I first started smoking cigars. One thing led to another...then another.......
I hear ya bro, I'll probably end up just sticking with matches and maybe pick up a pipe lighter eventually. I've already been looking at picking up a 2nd pipe. I'll prob get a 2nd pipe before I get the lighter.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh don't worry, it will!!

I've got a few pipe lighters but usually just end up grabbing a bic. Butane's butane in my book, and having the flame come out at an angle can be nice, but definitely not a necessity. Xikar's FlintFire II is great, it's not technically a pipe lighter but fits well in the watch pocket so I always have it on me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Great sound advice fellas! I guess if I enjoy it as much as everyone else it will befitting to buy all the nooks and crannies that come with pipe smoking -
"I've already been looking at picking up a 2nd pipe." Me too?? Why is that, I haven't even received my 1st one and I'm looking for another? Then again, there is a showcase of artistic talent, in which people sculp fantastic looking pipes that's where the *cool factor* takes part, where your enjoying your smoke from a fierce looking pipe. I see it coming :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just seen a video review and from advice from a few Botl'ers, I learned to light then tamp the tobacco down, then light re tamp works perfectly :thumbsup:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I love my Xikar Pipe lighter. Soft butane flame at 90-degrees. It's a beautiful lighter with a lifetime warrantee.

http://www.xikar.com/product_lighter_pipeline.asp
I have this lighter and I loved it. I say love in the past tense because like all Xikar lighters, this one has failed me. I want to say get it, because it has te tamper and scraper, and the 45* angled flame. But For the life of my, I can't get a flame to get bigger than 3mm tall. Worked great for a month or two and then nothing. I guess I'll send it back someday.