What's new

Local shop lockers

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
So I started to notice some of my cigars heads getting kind of "mooshy/soft" before even putting one in my mouth that I keep in a locker at a BM. They seem to smoke fine, but what troubles me is I put a xikar hydrometer in the locker for the past 2 weeks and it has been consistently reading anywhere between 76% to 80% everytime I go in for lunchtime smoke. The owner uses one of those moist n airs for it in a bottom locker. Havn't ever noticed any signs of mold from high rh.

Do you think this is making the cigars "softer"? I havn't noticed any burn issues...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Paying $100 a month for it (all refunded in store credit). Not difficult to control I'd imagine.... One time I let him know and he said put a boveda in it.... iam thinking, that sounds stupid as hell.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Boveda supposed to help with the humidity and somewhat regulate it and not make it worse???? And $100 a month??? That's crazy. I thought $450 a year was bad.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
isn't a Boveda supposed to help with the humidity and somewhat regulate it and not make it worse????
If you're constantly running above the boveda rating iam sure there is a point in time where it will no longer retain excess RH and the fact that the he's ruining other peoples cigars.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you're constantly running above the boveda rating iam sure there is a point in time where it will no longer retain excess RH and the fact that the he's ruining other peoples cigars.
I see what you mean. Just doesn't seem fair to you that you pay good money and you now have over humidified cigars in your locker. Bad form in business IMHO.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tough call. But I would be honest. Tell the owner, "Look, my hygros are running high in my locker. Do you mind if I take a look at your humidification system." You might ask fellow locker renters if they are experiencing the same issue and then form a little coalition. Power in numbers. But until issue is resolved, remove cigars.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Tough call. But I would be honest. Tell the owner, "Look, my hygros are running high in my locker. Do you mind if I take a look at your humidification system." You might ask fellow locker renters if they are experiencing the same issue and then form a little coalition. Power in numbers. But until issue is resolved, remove cigars.
Good advice

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Had him look at it during lunch break and it was reading 76 in the locker he keeps the moist n aire in during the duration of the hour I was there using my xikar hydrometer. Then he said something about the control unit not allowing him to go below setting it at 69rh. hmmm

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think he's a bit clueless. Especially if he's charging that much a month to provide you with some lame answer as to why your locker is at near 80%rh!

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I'm ho expert on humidity, but would putting some low rh hfs beads help lower it? I'm in the same boat, I'm thinking of buying a local membership and they have a locker option, but everything is 70%. It would be a nice place to store my bourbon though.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm ho expert on humidity, but would putting some low rh hfs beads help lower it? I'm in the same boat, I'm thinking of buying a local membership and they have a locker option, but everything is 70%. It would be a nice place to store my bourbon though.
Not an expert either, but I'm thinking that if you put some dry 65 beads in there, for a time they would absorb the excess humidity to help regulate it, but not indefinitely. Eventually the constant supply of humidity will charge them fully, and they would stop absorbing it. Does that sound correct?
Get a few tupperwares with a Boveda in each, and use it as a locker, not a humidor. Problem solved.
Good solution, but then why should be have to rent the locker?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Not an expert either, but I'm thinking that if you put some dry 65 beads in there, for a time they would absorb the excess humidity to help regulate it, but not indefinitely. Eventually the constant supply of humidity will charge them fully, and they would stop absorbing it. Does that sound correct?

Good solution, but then why should be have to rent the locker?
I would pay $100 to have someplace to smoke without having to buy cigars there every time you go.

$100 is not high, especially if it's store credit.

If they're smoking fine, I would leave them. I find that at that high a humidity, normally cigars do not smoke well.