What's new

Looking At Crossover SUVs. Thoughts?

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Well, here we are. We've been driving the same minivan for about 9 1/2 years. She's been reliable to a fault, but she's starting to go senile and is falling apart. We need to decide whether to sink some serious cash into her or replace her, but right now I think we will put her to pasture in the next 3-4 months.

We are a family of 5, so we need something with enough seats and elbow room. We are looking on line at the Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder and similar models from Chevy, Kia, etc. I think we'll go new since used cars seem to be stupid expensive.

Anybody with any experience or thoughts on those or similar models, best bang for the buck, how to get the best price, etc? The wife wants to stay away from another minivan if possible, but my mind is open to it. Probably needs to be $35k or less. I don't care about the bells and whistles. I just need A/C and cruise control. The base model is usually right up my alley.

I appreciate it!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Chevy traverse, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda CX-9, Subaru I think it's the forester.. Mitsubishi Endeavor

All can be leased for 250-350 a month depending on your local programs and dealers

All great cars IMO each have their own pros and cons.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I though this was a tracking cookie for a second there. I was at the dealer tonight. My wife's CTS handles in the winter like two guys are in front of it sweeping the ice with a broom.
Its got 170K miles it looks great but now needs struts. I've kept it alive forever but it's time to send it to pasture.

The car. Not the wife...

in case you didn't get the joke.

We are looking for a late model used SUV with -40k on it. Test drove Hyundai Santa Fe the 4cyl way under powered, ride's already starting to get lumpy, and under the hood the pully systems are loud could annoy a motor head like me. We did find a Hyundai hatchback ..( forget what it's called) looks like an Escape, FWD, good for snow, had a much better ride, good regular gas, and is on our "look again " list.

The GM SUVs think they're trucks, on full frames which is good at the safety end, but GM's offerings, like the TransVerse ..... the lots were full of them and besides being guzzlers, ya gotta wonder why no one seems to want to keep them. Dodge is a no no

Ford Edge I would class in with the Hyundai crossover. Wife says it's a boring look but I like the V6 dual exhaust at 21/27MPG this will haul ass. Test drive when I get down there.

Going to look at some Jeep Liberty Patriot Star Spangled banners or whatever the hell they are called tomorrow.
I know you are buying new but that's all I got Brotha..

Last edited:

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I've been eyeing these for a while! Two things stopping me..

1 the misses doesn't like it really
2 I told myself I would stop buying used, I got tired of fixing my cars

Never understood why they stopped making this beast!
It's a Toyota ... New or used it will last you a lifetime! I love mine it's spacious ... Great on gas and smooth on the road. Some people dislike the barn doors but you get used to them. Oh and it's a Toyota... Did I mention that? Parts are cheap.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It's a Toyota ... New or used it will last you a lifetime! I love mine it's spacious ... Great on gas and smooth on the road. Some people dislike the barn doors but you get used to them. Oh and it's a Toyota... Did I mention that? Parts are cheap.

I think it's a military thing that we love it lol. My wife just gives me a look of disgust. I love the barn doors!! In the end happy wife, happy life lol

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I have a Honda Pilot and im happy with it. We just bought it last February and for all the SUVs with 3rd row seating that we looked at, it seemed roomier and the seats were easy to fold down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
At my last job (automotive manufacturing plant...where they build the Pilot) I got to do some test driving in the new Honda Pilot. If I had a big family or needed something with space it would be incredibly hard to me to choose anything else. I know the elite models go for a couple $$$ but you can price it out for what you actually need. Access in the car is incredibly easy and some advanced options were incredible (lane keep and active cruise). I've owned Jeeps and like the grand cherokee but it's too fancy for me. Chevy traverse didn't do it for me either, just felt like a poorly designed mini van.
Hope you find a winner... go test drive the new Pilots :)

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Not sure how much winter you get, but here in Buffasnow the Subaru Forester is crazy popular. There's enough room in it for 5, and its AWD system and boxer engine have legendary reliability. Plus it's a 4-cylinder, so the mileage is great. I've never heard a bad word about them. It's very likely my next car purchase...(y)

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not sure how much winter you get, but here in Buffasnow the Subaru Forester is crazy popular. There's enough room in it for 5, and its AWD system and boxer engine have legendary reliability. Plus it's a 4-cylinder, so the mileage is great. I've never heard a bad word about them. It's very likely my next car purchase...(y)
Here in central Iowa, deep snow isn't the major issue, but we have to jump a few drifts every year. Packed snow and ice is the bigger issue. I am interested in AWD because my wife can defeat FWD and go in the ditch.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0

If only Subaru would come out some some great leading programs in ny!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
We got the Kia Sorento for my wife, I like it cause it does have a lot of room inside but she hates it. My wife mainly picks SUV's based on there gas milage and how well she can see out the back (she's only 4'11) and then I go from there and pick what's comfortable for me for long drives and weekends. We settled on the Sorento cause it was suppose to get great gas mileage, 20 - 27 and it only gets 14 - 17.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Well, here we are. We've been driving the same minivan for about 9 1/2 years. She's been reliable to a fault, but she's starting to go senile and is falling apart. We need to decide whether to sink some serious cash into her or replace her, but right now I think we will put her to pasture in the next 3-4 months.

We are a family of 5, so we need something with enough seats and elbow room. We are looking on line at the Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder and similar models from Chevy, Kia, etc. I think we'll go new since used cars seem to be stupid expensive.

Anybody with any experience or thoughts on those or similar models, best bang for the buck, how to get the best price, etc? The wife wants to stay away from another minivan if possible, but my mind is open to it. Probably needs to be $35k or less. I don't care about the bells and whistles. I just need A/C and cruise control. The base model is usually right up my alley.

I appreciate it!
Stay away from Jeep. I own a Grand Cherokee and have friends with other various models... all crap and Jeep service is atrocious.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We just bought a RAV4 which doesn't have 3rd row seating, but while we were shopping we looking at the Highlander which does have 3rd row. It seemed really nice. Might push the 35 budget. Also the new Pilots look sharp compared to the older boxy looking models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If you want to seat 5 comfortably with elbow room I would imagine you need 3rd row seating. Right? My 2 kids are small enough now that we didn't need the 3rd row, but I bet as they grow I will buy something bigger with more back seat legroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Stay away from Jeep. I own a Grand Cherokee and have friends with other various models... all crap and Jeep service is atrocious.
I would agree with this statement. While I have never owned a Jeep, our current fleet of Dodge vehicles at work is falling apart prematurely. Our next wave of fleet replacements will not be Dodge/Chrysler products.