What's new

Looking for a little guidance

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've been thinking about picking up the pipe again and so when I visited my Mom today I asked if I could look through some of my Dad's pipes. I'm 47 and can't remember a time a time when my Dad wasn't lighting, smoking, packing or cleaning a pipe. He had one in every vehicle, coat and table in the house. So when she brought out the 3 boxes of pipes that she could lay her hands on quickly, I wasn't suprised to see about 3 dozen pipes.

So here's my question. I know he had some really nice pipes and I'm sure he had a number of cheapos. I plan on taking pics to help guide me through the process, but I'd like to sort though them and pick out a few to start using. There are quite a few that show a lot of use and a few that show very little use. About a third look like they have meresham (sp?) lining in the bowls. How does one go about reclaiming a pipe for use. Cleaning, tightening up the stem, ect.?

Also, I smoked a little in college and a little a few years later, but I'm only familiar with my Dad's "American Blend" from Pipe Den and Black Cavi/Capt'n Black blend I made for myself. Anyone able to guide me toward a source where I can check out a sampler pack of a good quality tobacco?

I'm sure a lot of these questions have been asked/answered here before and will do some research, but I'm looking at these pipes and just couldn't wait to ask....

Thanks all!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's great your mom kept them all! Always nice to have a piece of the past. Two of my favorite places are pipes.org & iwanries.com.

I'm sure Fox has you covered, but PM me if you would like to try midnight ride, nightcap (both are dry, but that can be taken care of), or some local west monroe mixes that are pretty good.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Been doing some reading on restoring estate pipes. I'm starting to make a list of the various pipes I can identify. Just bid on a pipe retort on eBay. Can't really find anything on the proper use of a reamer. One of the things in my Dad's accessory box was a Kaywoodie Reamatic. Gotta learn how to use it since a couple of the pipes I'd like to use are kind of built up as far as the cake is concerned.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Found a link to a tin of A&C Petersen Navy #499 for $25. 15 to 20 yr old. Is this outragous? Seems a bit steep, but it is aged and gets great reviews. I'd like to start both my preference journey and my collection.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Fox's sampler is setting in my MB right now! Damn! And I can't leave until traffic is flowing in it's new pattern....:cursing: Can't wait!

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Found a link to a tin of A&C Petersen Navy #499 for $25. 15 to 20 yr old. Is this outragous? Seems a bit steep, but it is aged and gets great reviews. I'd like to start both my preference journey and my collection.
This is probably a great question for Tedski. I am not familiar with this one. I will tell you that if I could find some more McRanies's Red Ribbon from 1983, I would spend that kind of money for a couple of tins. . .:smile:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Fox, my friend, you did an amazing job! Got your package today and just finished my first bowl of 5100. Great stuff. Looks like a great selection. I want to try them all tonight! There's a special one in there that I think I'll restore a special one for! You are a great BotL! Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes, I hear the new crop of Red Ribbon, while good, just doesn't live up to the '83.

You might like the Navy, but I wouldn't spend $25 on a tin until you know what you like.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Dan, what all did Fox send you?

I didn't order a big variety of pipe tobacco this month because I went a little crazy on cigars (and I've never been able to keep tobacco in my "cellar" to age), but when my orders arrive I could put together a couple samples assuming they weren't already in your previous package.

Do you got Marlin Flake? MacLelland 2015? Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake? Nat Sherman 536 (an English blend... think you might like Latakia?)?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Got your package today, Séamas! Nice selection bro! Thanks. I haven't had a chance to open them up and try any yet. But I'm sure I'll smoke a bowl or two tomorrow. And the extras made it just fine.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got your package today, Séamas! Nice selection bro! Thanks. I haven't had a chance to open them up and try any yet. But I'm sure I'll smoke a bowl or two tomorrow. And the extras made it just fine.
That's cool! I was wondering if it'd get there today.

Hope you find something in there you like.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Btw... though you may already know all this...

Some of that tobacco could probably use a bit of air drying, since I packed it up fresh from the tins. Especially the Frog. The 5100/Burley blend I threw in should be good to go as it is The rest could maybe use an hour or two of air time, if you like, depending on your preference (the St. James and Blackwoods, like most McClelland, are usually quite moist from the tin, but this batch was pretty dry already).

A lot of pipe tobacco is too moist in the tin to varying degrees (a notable exception being C&D), which is good for storage but not so good for smoking. It might make it burn bad, gurgle in the pipe, bite the tongue, and weakens the flavor.

If you pinch a wad in your fingers, none of it should stick together when you let go. On the other hand, it should not be so dry it crumbles, either. Within that range, it's a matter of preference. Some like it drier, some moister, and different blends are better at different moisture levels, as well.

Smoke the VAs slow. Just sip it at a slow stead pace. The burn should be just above a smoulder. THis will bring out more subtle flavors and prevent tongue bite. The bowl should not get so hot you can't touch it. Don't worry about re-lights, it's part of pipe smoking, and you'll have to do it less and less with practice. The first time you hit "the zone" and smoke it to the heel without a re-light is a momentous occasion. But you'll still have to re-light sometimes.

Many people think VAs are better in smaller bowls, and Latakia/orientals in larger ones, but that's not necessarily true for all the people all the time. More important is that you have pipes dedicated to different blend types. Some people dedicate pipes for particular blends, but going by category is usally sufficient. Pipes for Latakia, pipes for VA, pipes for aromatics, etc.

The flakes can be shoved in whole, partially rubbed out, or fully rubbed out. Depends on the blend and on your own preference. Experiment!

You can go to www.tobaccoreviews.com and read reviews of practically every pipe tobacco made. Everyone's taste varies, but you can read the descriptions and see what sounds good, and eventually identify particular reviewers who tend to share your tastes, and those who tend not to, and it helps in deciding what to try.

Another good thing is to read reviews of the blend you are smoking, and try to identify the flavors they are talking about (though sometimes they may be hallucinating :grin: ). It helps refine your pipe palate.

Don't give up, it only gets better!