What's new

looking for some that are similar to...

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hello. I recently entered the world of cigar smoking. So I figured I might as well go big lol. So I got a 90 rated sampler box of 20 from CI. Thinking I might as well try out the good stuff and narrow my chances of getting some "dog rockets" lol...So my absolute fave out of those 20 was the Joya De Nic 1970. Followed by the graycliff..the gispert..carlos torano and the perdomo...Didnt care to much for the R y J..Ghurkas or the Rp's..

So recently my wife and I went to a local tobacco retailer looking for some cigars and well the selection wasnt all that great..So I got the following..Cusano 18..torano sig collection robusto..a cpl more gisperts..Absolutely loved the torano and the cusano very nice to my no0bness..palate..however you wish to put it..

What I would ask from my more experienced brethren is could someone kindly put together a list that would include cigars that are similar to the JDN's? In terms of strength..flavor...etc.. As I have been told the JDN is one of the more stronger varieties available..Could the list include any cubans that might be similar ? This way I am reducing my chance of getting dogrockets..and as far as the cubans go..Well needless to say I'd hate to spend out that kind of $$ and go "Blech!!!" if you know what I mean..

Last but not least can someone include a list of initials as well lol...cuz I am sooooo lost seeing some of these...ismo..nc...jr's..I know its cuz of the no0bness so pls forgive...thx much...len

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I can't really help you out with NC's that would compare. I'm not that familiar with them anymore.

As far as cuban cigars that might be like a JDN, they are completely different. It really is like comparing apples to oranges, even though they are both cigars. Totally different imho.

Some of the other guys here that smoke NC's will be able to help you out more.

Welcome to BOTL!!

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to BOTL :waving: ! If you like JDN's, try La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero's, especially the Chisel. Also, which RP's did you try? I am willing to bet that you haven't tried the Edge. If you haven't, you should. I prefer the maduro wrapper, but both (maduro and corojo) are good, and you should sample both.

Welcome to the group, and happy smoking!

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
vperlman said:
Welcome to BOTL :waving: ! If you like JDN's, try La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero's, especially the Chisel. Also, which RP's did you try? I am willing to bet that you haven't tried the Edge. If you haven't, you should. I prefer the maduro wrapper, but both (maduro and corojo) are good, and you should sample both.

Welcome to the group, and happy smoking!

the rp i tried is the one that came in the 90 rated sampler box i bought...so im not to sure which one it is i could prolly look up the sampler box i bought lol and ty

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Len___T said:
the rp i tried is the one that came in the 90 rated sampler box i bought...
If it was the "90 Rated Super Premium Combo" with a humidor, it was an RP Vintage 1990. In any event, the odds are that it was not an Edge. Based on what you have tried and liked, my guess is that you will like the Edge. Like the old television commercial used to say, "Try it; you'll like it..." :starrylov

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Len___T said:
it wasnt the edge I just found it... Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Toro..So does anyone here think the double maduro sampler from CI would be worht giving a shot?

You could do that...OR you can shoot me your addy! I have a few N/C's taking up space in the humidor that I could send your way:wink:

Welcome to BoTL Len__________________________!

Viva la BoTL:assaultri

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Len___T said:
it wasnt the edge I just found it... Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Toro..So does anyone here think the double maduro sampler from CI would be worht giving a shot?
I don't. The sampler consists of:
5 - 5 Vegas Series 'A'
5 - Gurkha Doble Maduro
5 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro
5 - Triple Ligero by K. Hansotia

5 Vegas are a decent, budget cigar, but not much more. The Gurkha Doble Maduros are also OK, but not something I would buy again. I have had extremely mixed experiences with the Indian Tabac Super Fuertes. Haven't tried the Hansotia Triple Ligero.

All in all, I think you're better off spending the $60 on individual sticks.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
One thing you might want to consider is going to cbid and checking out the fivers they have for auction. You can try things out that way without having to buy an entire box. Just be careful. Sometimes guys pay way too much for things just because they want to "win the bid"

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tubaman said:
... Just be careful. Sometimes guys pay way too much for things just because they want to "win the bid"
Good advice! Since CI owns CBid, check the prices on CI (and elsewhere) before bidding.

BTW, when you are ready to buy boxes, go to this link and bookmark it:
http://tinyurl.com/hkgl3

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have heard good things about the 5 Vegas Serie A though, and I personally enjoyed the gold ones for a not so kick your ass smoke.

If you like greycliff though but don't want to shell out mass amounts of dough for them, try the CI legends greycliff. You can use the CI singles selector to grab a few, and make your own bundle with some other stuff you would like to try (like the RP Edge as suggested above)

My favorite sampler is the Virtuoso Super-Premium Collection Sampler, which I have hit on cbid a few times to get cheaper but it has a few things you might not be crazy about. Keep in mind also that not all cigars from a brand are the same. You might like something else that you haven't tried.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I still dabble in the world of non-cubans a little bit. I like a fairly strong cigar, and I have found these to be some of my favorites.

1) Any size El Rico Habano Maduro
2) Juan Lopez (nicaragua)
3) Opus X
4) Anejo
5) Rocky Patel Sungrown
6) Padron 1964's (the maduros in particular)
7) Ashton VSGs (smaller sizes in particular...tres mystique?)
8) Fuente 8-5-8 sun grown (this is probably on of the best $3 - $4 smokes out there)

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
Welcome Len________T to BOTL, but be careful,, some of these guys will , like tubaman and fox will bomb your house and lead you to the dark side.

at any rate they are, as you will find, some true, generouse BOTL on this site

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
vperlman said:
5 Vegas are a decent, budget cigar, but not much more.
I agree, it's a decent budget maduro...but beware! The 'A' is certainyl worth buying, but the rest of the 5 Vegas products are bland to bad; I'd avoid them if at all possible.

vperlman said:
Haven't tried the Hansotia Triple Ligero.
I'm honestly not a HUGE fan of Hansotia/Ghurka (although I have a buddy who loves all their stuff) but I gotta admit, for a relatively cheap cigar, the Triple Ligero is very good. Like so many maduros on the market, it lacks subtle flavors and relys on the wrapper too much, but I wouldn't hesitate to smoke one any day of the week.

Also, it should compare well with the JdN.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Try some of these:
CAO Brazilia Samba
CAO Criollo
Camacho Diploma - Maduro or Natural
Gran Habano #3
Gurkha Class Regent
La Aroma de Cuba - Robusto
La Pearla Habana Black Pearl (Reg and Rojo)
Padilla Hybrid and Miami 8/11
Partagas Spanish Rosado
Pryme Limited Edition Gold

These were my regular box buys for years before the darkside really took hold. I still have most of these and smoke them from time to time.