What's new

Looking for Spanish Cedar...

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found some Spanish Cedar, 1/4" thick, 10" wide by 6' long. I plan on lining an old oak icebox with it. (see my albums, blog).

Does anyone out there know if 1/4" comes in widths greater than 10" ?
:computer:

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Check a place that make custom cabinets. You can typically by sheets like plywood. Pretty expensive though. Roughly $150 a sheet.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
The hardwood shop where I bought my wood for my walk-in has 3/4" and thicker. Most stores are like this and you would either have to resaw or plane it down. and you can get widths wider than 10".

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
I found some Spanish Cedar, 1/4" thick, 10" wide by 6' long. I plan on lining an old oak icebox with it. (see my albums, blog).

Does anyone out there know if 1/4" comes in widths greater than 10" ?
:computer:
Since you are in Illinois, try Owl Lumber on St Charles Rd. I think it's Lombard or Villa Park. Good luck.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
the 1/4 inch liner is a hard lumber to store without it moving too much (warping, bowing etc). So what you are actually getting when you order is the millwork to resaw a larger piece down to your spec.

If you order online, Woodcraft is likely to land at the top of most folk's list for the liner material. I have used them once and was happy with them. I currently use a Woodworker's Source here in Phoenix. Their in-person prices are better than their online prices and i get my lumber resawn and ready within two days of calling in my order. If you can find a place local who has the Spanish Cedar, they would be the best to strike the conversation up with.

For your specific project, I would stay away from the wider widths anyways. If you were to find a cedar liner in a wardrobe or other cabinet from that timeframe it would be quite common to see it with a liner composed of smallr strips with marine lap type of joints... were it me, that's the way i would go. I think the extra texture inside would be interesting. (just my .02)

Can't wait to see your project as it comes along. Good luck on your quest!

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're just lining a cabinet you may be able to use 1/8" (veneer) and save some money. You will be ok buying the 10" strips and glue them in there.

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no you're right on. I bought the 1/4" x 10" pieces at Owl hardwood near my house. Couldn't find (or didnt try hard enough to findthe 1/8"). I put a poplar sub-frame inside of the oak ice box cabinet. I'll take the 1/4" x 10" and install it like drywall / or paneling on "studs", then put a small batten over the joints. I have some pix of the subframe on my blog. thanks for the input.

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to Iwan Reis Cigars in chicago by my office, and they gave me spanish cedar trays 13" x 22" x 3" deep that fit perfectly in the "ice box" Talk about clean living, cant believe they gave them to me, but they said they weren't using them (they came from a store case thathad bought.) I will be stacking them in the top section of the ice box-idor. I have some pix on my blog and will be posting more.

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good advice. Found the 10" wide x 1/4" in 8' lengths at a local hardwood place. I plan on ripping the 10" width down, and installing on the sub-frame like board & batten siding (your lap idea).. I don't think they'll move too much, and I'll be able to fasten it to the subframe with small wood screws, which will then be covered by the battens. Thanks for your 2 cents, I can use it to pay for a (very small) part of the cedar cost :) I'll put more pix on the blog. It's a shame I have to go to work today, I'd much rather be working on the cabinet.

Big Mulac

who is John Galt?
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the offer, but I bought the spanish cedar last week. About 10" x 1/4 planed. All I need to do know is a littile ripping. I check your site out.