What's new

Looking into a Macbook

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Anyone have any advice on Macbook pros looking to spend under $800 and can buy used. Very new to this so not sure what I should be looking for.

I am looking to have this as a home computer where the family can use but no intense gaming or CPU processing.

Thanks!
Brad

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I am looking to have this as a home computer where the family can use but no intense gaming or CPU processing.
MacBook Pro would be overkill if your not doing any heavy stuff like video/photo editing, music engineering, CAD drawing, etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend the MacBook Air instead. Tons of power and room for basic computer usage.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Hey Big Brad, I believe my sister is selling her MacBook Pro which is in excellent condition (honestly) - I will find out tonight since I'm going to my parents place

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
MacBook Pro would be overkill if your not doing any heavy stuff like video/photo editing, music engineering, CAD drawing, etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend the MacBook Air instead. Tons of power and room for basic computer usage.
Thanks! Any suggestions on year or model? Places to buy?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I would buy from an Apple Store or an authorized Apple Dealer. The main reason is you can see the differences in the quality (Retina vs. Non) and mess around on them first. And, most usually they will have a better warranty offer as well.

For a basic family laptop, I would suggest any year MacBook Air - whatever fits the price point. Also, to me, I don't think retina screens are worth the cost increase. They are beautiful screens but I don't need that kind of quality/clarity as I'm not doing phot/video work. I do stream movies/tv but the regular screens look great to me anyway!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
What B said.

My wife paid like $300 for a used Macbook Air. It does what she needs - basic internet access, Office, stuff she needs for her business. No reason to spend more unless you need something for a specific purpose.

After installing a SSD in my 2007 iMac and upgrading the OS, I can't think of a single reason to upgrade mine either. It does everything I need it do.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I've owned Macintosh since 1993…and have built many hackintosh systems - their OS' are usually quite stable and i recommend their laptops, etc for this and other reasons.

In my experience the only thing you really need to concern yourself with is that at some stage (depending on how powerful the processing unit you get), you may need to get an underside cooling unit.… Especially if you're going to do anything processor intensive.

But that would be years off if buying new.

Mac tends to have a higher resale value versus Windows systems.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a retina Mac Pro and absolutely love it for mobile work (but I also deal with photos/video editing and other things that require more processing). Personally I like the Mac for the family as I don't have to fix it every night when I go home and it is much easier to use for the kids. The wife proclaimed she won't go back to a PC.

For just general tasks as stated before the MacBook Air will work wonderfully.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I love my MacBook Pro I still use my 17 inch for my photography editing. I have a 13 inch I'm going to max out soon. I would buy the older 2008-2012 models and upgrade it, max out the ram and Replace the hard drive with a SSD And if you can the optic drive with a ssd as well use one just for you OS and programs and other for your storage, also buy a external hard drive for extra storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I've purchased three MacBooks (Air and two Pros) over the years via Apple Refurb. Always been great.
I've also purchased and fixed up about 25 MacBooks (old skool, Pros, Airs) via Craigslist for friends and family. If you're handy you can get great deals that way. All that said, I strongly recommend buying via Apple for peace of mind with the warranty.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I own a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro - both similar but different in use / function.

I was able to pick up my 2015 MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display on eBay for $650 shipped without a charger.

Ordered a charger for $30 bucks and was good to go! MacBook Pro was in great shape, only 100 cycles on the battery, last model they made before going to the USB-C charger design. Still super thin, i5 processor, 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD.

The MacBook Air is a fantastic computer as well - a little less power but better battery life, screen resolution isn't as good. But ultra light and easy to carry / use.

I always buy my electronics used or refurbished when possible. It takes a little a patience but the first thing I would do is assess your needs, define your budget, and take your time in shopping. eBay and Craigslist can be awesome if you do your research and know what you're looking at. If not, bring a friend who does.

Make sure you do the appropriate checks or have the protections in place (like a return policy, lapyap, etc.) depending on how you buy.