What's new

looking to try a pipe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to try a pipe. I smoke cigars now but am looking into pipes as I figure they may be cheaper in the long run, smell fantastic and I think based on bowl size you pack they tend to be less of a time constraint. If I am wrong on any of this pleas let me know.
Last year I tried a corncob but swear I could taste the corncob while smoking and also I could not taste the tobacco very well. I am looking for some of you to recommend a an inexpensive briar to start with to see if I can develop the taste and technique required to be a pipe smoker.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'd ask the salesperson at a B&M with a good selection on pipes (at least that's what I did recently; but I must warn, it too is a slippery slope)

orsonwelles

inmenso
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to try a pipe. I smoke cigars now but am looking into pipes as I figure they may be cheaper in the long run, smell fantastic and I think based on bowl size you pack they tend to be less of a time constraint. If I am wrong on any of this pleas let me know.
Last year I tried a corncob but swear I could taste the corncob while smoking and also I could not taste the tobacco very well. I am looking for some of you to recommend a an inexpensive briar to start with to see if I can develop the taste and technique required to be a pipe smoker.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Well there you go again... An inexpensive briar is like an Antonio and Cleopatra or Garcia & Vega. A corn cob is like a King Edward Invincibles Deluxe. There are people out there who smoke Black and Mild.
Your palate is too advanced for All of the Above, sorry.
I was only happy smoking my two friends' really good well-broken-in pipes. That was like 40 years ago. Subsequently, I could never get a cheap pipe to smoke smooth like theirs did, but I would never spent big money on one either. I tried many times to brteak in many "inexpensive" i.e. cheap ass pipes to no avail.
So, I stopped trying.
Why burn your throat, tongue, lips, etc. Get it?

It's like trying to learn to play guitar on a cheap guitar. You probably won't be able to learn. It'll hurt you fingers too much. But if you learn on a Gibson, you'll probably be able to get a decent sound out of a cheapie.:guitar:

Now if someone out there can recommend to you a good inexpensive pipe, if such a thing exists...

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Smoking pipes can be much cheaper when compared to cigars. The initial cost of the pipes and accessories are higher (and can lead to another slippery slope if not careful), but after this you are only paying for the cost of tobacco which can be as low as 20-25 cents per smoke if you buy your blends in bulk.

Here are a couple new briar pipes for dirt cheap @ Iwan Ries ... LINK

If these styles don't appeal, here's a better selection of Sasieni for a bit more ... LINK

Please note, that it takes a bit of time to "break in" a new pipe - even corncobs. I never really cared for the look and cheap build quality of cobs, but found they smoked burley blends quite well. Also, you may want to smoke English or Balkan blends as you will definitely taste the tobacco through the briar. Take your time - pipe smoking is generally considered to be more individual and introspective vs. cigars.