What's new

Looking to "upgrade" my lighter and cutter...

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Anyone have recommendations? I saw the thread about what cutter people use, so that was a good start on the cutter. How about lighters? I would possibly be interested in a leather case also (3 or 5 finger).

Do any of BOTL's wonderful sponsors have a combo of some sort that I'm not seeing? (I already have the plastic waterproof-type case so I don't need an otterbox and the like.)

thanks!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just got a Xikar Executive Lighter and that baby is nice. The ole Montecristo fired up easily this weekend with that baby.

-BR

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Go check out cigarmony.com. Mark's got everything you could want. In my personal opinion, the ST Dupont Extend is the end all be all of lighters. I don't have a ton of experience with lighters, but what I do have (5-6 lighters before the extend) tells me it is well worth the money. I just special ordered a Lotus lighter (pretty much the same folks as the Porsche Design) and I'll give a detailed review of that when I've had a chance to put it through its paces. Mark also has all of the fuel you need. Don't cheap out on the fuel, save yourself the headaches on that one, trust me.

As to cutters, two choices: Palio or Xikar. Can't go wrong with either one and Mark carries them both. I know everything I've mentioned is on the pricier side so if you have a target of what you want to spend, let us know.

He tends to have combos now and then as well.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I will second the Palio, and as I don't have Xikar experience I can't comment. However I had a swiss army knife luxury cigar tool and it was AWESOME!!! I sadly had it confiscated by the Vatican guards while visiting Rome over christmas. I will get another though when I can find one for the right price. I bought it over 3-4 years ago for $35 on cbid.com. Now I can only think about touching one for double that.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I have a Xikar executive and a xikar cutter. The cutter is great, my lighter may have gotten something in it, but does not have the jet torch flame any more, and it has got to have the smallest tank. It works for maybe 3-4 smokes, before it needs refilling. I have a $5 ronson that can be found at a drugstore that works great.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i have a Xikar executive also and a Xikar cutter their both great. i also have a vector table top lighter that i got for free from ordering a box. this thing puts out the heat like no other. great lighter IMO

Pendaboot

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendations? I saw the thread about what cutter people use, so that was a good start on the cutter. How about lighters? I would possibly be interested in a leather case also (3 or 5 finger).
My feeling about lighters is you absolutely need a triple jet lighter, double at absolute minimum. I usually carry a triple jet and a single jet. (The single I use in emergencies where the triple stops working and for touch ups.) I also use a punch for any cigar over 44 ring, and it is easy to find a lighter that has a punch attached. Therefore my favorite lighter is the Colibri Enterprise, which is a flawless triple jet with a 7mm punch and a leather holster, and yes, I do wear the holster on my belt with a suit and tie. It's available at J&R at half price with a no-paper lifetime guarantee. It still works, so I have never tested the guarantee, but it's nice to know that I will not need the receipt if it needs service.

Cases? I have a fair few of them. they all came as freebies with cigars I bought, and for that matter the Colibri Enterprise came the same way, so I don't know about them. I love my Peterson Robusto case, but since I didn't pay for it, and it is quite pricey if you do, i don't know if i would still like it if I had paid fifty bucks for it. I have a saddle leather three finger case stamped Hoyo de Monterrey, which is hard with Spanish Cedar lining, which is good if packed in luggage, but for jacket carry I prefer the soft leather cases.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Palio cutter by far.

I personally favor large lighters. I'll probably eventually get an Xtend...but right now I use the Vector Thundra tabletop lighter and absolutely love it. It's the coolest lighter I've ever used. I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger everytime I use it because the damn thing is so intimidating. I highly recommend it and you can get it from Mark at cigarmony.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a Xikar and a Palio and I would go with the Palio hands down. It cuts much cleaner. I STRONGLY recommend you order it from Ron at Cigar Solutions. He had the best price I could find.

Also, I just bought a Xikar Enigma dual-torch lighter and I like it quite a bit so far. I managed to win it for $28 on c-bid. The best price I could find for it was $42.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Palio cutter, all the way. What's your budget for the lighter? You can get good lighters ranging from around $3 (Ronson Jet-lite) to hundreds of dollars. How much do you want to spend?

BTW, re: Xikar Executive lighters, they are very good, and they have a great warranty from a great company. However, their finish is not durable at all, and their fuel capacity is astonishingly small, especially for a lighter of that size.

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Thanks for all the tips so far. As to my budget, it's not too restricted. Spending over over 75 for EACH item starts to sound unnecessary to me, but I am always willing to pay for quality.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
A Palio can be had for $36 and the Xi2 Xikar can be had for about the same (around 60 for the metal version). The ST Dupont Extend though runs around $140. (All of these prices are from Cigarmony.com, just easy for me to check there.)

Certainly you can get a lighter for less, but again, I think they are worth the cash.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
BTW, re: Xikar Executive lighters, they are very good, and they have a great warranty from a great company. However, their finish is not durable at all, and their fuel capacity is astonishingly small, especially for a lighter of that size.
My exact experience. I use my $5 ronson and if I have to the Xikar comes out.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lighters are really personal. I have a huge variety, ranging from the Ronson Jet-Lite to a Dupont X-tend. All are good. The X-tend is probably the "best" lighter that I own, in the sense that it feels good, it looks good, it has high perceived value, it has great fuel supply, and it is probably the only lighter I have ever used that lights the first time, every single time.

Despite that, I tend to switch around. Right now, the one that is getting the most use is a brass Zippo with a butane, soft-flame insert, a Thunderbird from Vector. Next week, who knows? :halfgrinw