What's new

Lounge rules

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I'm sure we've discussed this but I'm looking at Annapolis shops to chill in while my son hangs with his boys at the mall. (Too far to drop him come home and then go back) and all of the shops have the no outside stick policy (so far). Now that's understandable but this "you wouldn't go in a restaurant and bring food from another restaurant" logic is absurd. Now I ABSOLUTELY believe you should support the shop. If you say hey to smoke here you need to make a purchase I'm 100% fine with that. I DO NOT believe you should walk in with your sticks plop your ass down in their seats enjoy their ac/heat and televisions and walk out with out a purchase. But to say I can't smoke an outside stick after I make the purchase is whack. I'm taking up the same space for the same amount of time and you get the same revenue. Cigars are not cheeseburgers or pizzas. Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I agree with you and the shops I've been to are always cool with it. In the past I've brought a stick to smoke, purchased a few from them, and then smoked the one I brought. Let them know you like smoking cigars that have been stored at a very specific humidity which is lower than what shops stay at. I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as you are making a purchase as well.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm sure we've discussed this but I'm looking at Annapolis shops to chill in while my son hangs with his boys at the mall. (Too far to drop him come home and then go back) and all of the shops have the no outside stick policy (so far). Now that's understandable but this "you wouldn't go in a restaurant and bring food from another restaurant" logic is absurd. Now I ABSOLUTELY believe you should support the shop. If you say hey to smoke here you need to make a purchase I'm 100% fine with that. But to say I can't smoke an outside stick after I make the purchase is whack. I'm taking up the same space for the same amount of time and you get the same revenue. Cigars are not cheeseburgers or pizzas. Thoughts ?
I agree, but it's their business and they can alienate knowledgeable customers who want to smoke something specific if they want to. What can you do? Can't fix stupid. Just buy the same cigar as what you bring, then pull the old switcheroo, maybe? They'll never know.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I agree with you and the shops I've been to are always cool with it. In the past I've brought a stick to smoke, purchased a few from them, and then smoked the one I brought. Let them know you like smoking cigars that have been stored at a very specific humidity which is lower than what shops stay at. I wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as you are making a purchase as well.
My regular shops have no problem with it I'm looking for some place to smoke elsewhere and this is what I'm getting ....just seems primitive.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
And the beer analogy is ridiculous in most states you CANT bring beer in it's against the law and I've actually SEEN people bring food into other restaurants like their kids eating McDonald's while they order food from the establishment

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My regular shops have no problem with it I'm looking for some place to smoke elsewhere and this is what I'm getting ....just seems primitive.
Agreed. To VeLoRoK's point, if they want to turn away potential customers due to a stupid rule, that's their business decision. Are there any nearby parks or other public places where you could get away with smoking a cigar while you wait?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
And the beer analogy is ridiculous in most states you CANT bring beer in it's against the law and I've actually SEEN people bring food into other restaurants like their kids eating McDonald's while they order food from the establishment

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
At my shop I only let you use the lounge in the back if you buy one of our cigars, but you can smoke your own that you brought. After all, I smoke tons of cigars we dont sell! I let everyone whos convincingly sober and smoking any kind of tobacco to use the tables out front without a purchase though. Thats like free advertising!

Edit: I have told people to move along afrer lighting swishers/black and milds and really rough lookin handrolled cigarettes though

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
At my shop I only let you use the lounge in the back if you buy one of our cigars, but you can smoke your own that you brought. After all, I smoke tons of cigars we dont sell! I let everyone whos convincingly sober and smoking any kind of tobacco to use the tables out front without a purchase. Thats like free advertising!
Lol are you in Annapolis md??

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I have no problem with a store creating and enforcing rules such as that. It's their establishment, so they have a right to make rules like that. They are the ones investing at least six figures on starting a business, and I can understand them wanting to see a ROI. I've seen a lot of people go to stores and lounges and rarely/never purchase cigars.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If you own a lounge, you deserve to be able to make the rules to ensure your profitability. If you feel this policy is the best way to eliminate free loaders without offending potential customers, go for it. Your call as owner of the shop.

Honestly, the beer/pizza analogy is fair, as they are providing the place for you to enjoy a consumable product. And what if I'm smoking something the lounge doesn't carry, and other guys want to know where to get it? That takes away from the lounge's business if I say "oh, go online to so and so..."

Personally, I smoke a lot of cigars you either can't get at a lounge, or I prefer them at an rH about ten % lower than the lounge keeps them. I am happy to offset the cigar I bring in by purchasing one and taking it home with me. If you don't allow that, I'm probably just not going to come into the shop, as I don't want to smoke your wet cigars.

But perspective: we're a minority. Most guys don't have an rH preference. Most smokers are happy to smoke a cigar from just about anywhere, and most of the ones that aren't wanting to buy a cigar at the lounge are not cigar nerds, just cheapskates. We here at BOTL are not the normal customers, and I don't really blame shops for not catering to us.

My suggestion would be to just buy an identical cigar you have in your stash, and smoke yours. No one will know.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
They might be unbearable, but they might be trying to nip a mooch problem in the bad and just going about it horribly. No offense, but I've interacted with several Maryland business owners that had an abrasive attitude and conversational style. They weren't bad people and didn't mean anything by it, it was just part of their persona. I'd probably follow velo's recommendation to make a purchase and do the switcheroo, or casually mention to the counter guy, out of earshot of others, that you prefer to smoke aged sticks at a specific humidity and would it be alright as long as you were making an equivalent or better purchase.

That said, I hate to see business owners shoot themselves in the foot with bad tactics / marketing, but it's hard to get people to see things from a different perspective.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I seldom go to a lounge and smoke without purchasing "several" cigars. If they want to look in my traveldor as I deposit their smokes, fine. I think most people are reasonable and would think twice about losing a sale because you pull out the cigar you want to smoke.

I wish everyone would just post a simple sign "Use of the lounge encouraged with $25 purchase" or whatever number is appropriate.

If you want to be honest and upfront about it as you are paying for your cigars you can always ask "do you mind if I smoke this ....... I've had resting in my humidor?" If they act snotty just leave the cigars on the counter and find someplace else. But support the shop and pay for the convenience. Don't buy the cheapest cigar in the store and take a seat, drink their coffee and enjoy their air conditioning for the entire afternoon.