What's new

Low humidity?

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
So, I know this is a problem we should all hope to have someday, but I'm wondering if I have too many cigars in my endtable unit. It's got two large trays and my Cuban only singles tray is stacked 4 deep in most areas. There's prob a total of 150 on the shelf or so. I've started noticing that the center cigars are drying out a bit. Should I regularly be rotating things to avoid this, or should I invest in a fan to promote better circulation? It's about 18" wide, 14" long and 18" deep and I've got about a lb of 65% beads scattered around the thing in containers to dispurse the humidity. I'm worrying about conditions at this point. Will some of those interior cigars start losing their oils if they're out of the humiditys direct contact for a few weeks? To give you an indication of the humidity levels that the cigars seem to be reaching, many of those interior cigars have 'shrunk' slightly so their band travels much easier along the length of the wrapper. I'm new to this 65% humidity thing (born & bred 70/70 guy) so maybe it's just the lower levels that I'm getting used to. Please advise; thanks
Cs

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IMHO, if you have an endtable with different levels, get rid of the beads and install an active unit. Be sure to have a fan at the top of the humi to circulate air and humidity to the top. The humidity will always be higher at the botton and lower at the top unless you have some type of system to circulate humidified air.

In my Aristocrat M, the top drawer holds 300 singles. There is a small fan placed in the center of the humi that passes humidified air over the singles.

Contact Bob Staebell to hook you up with info and a Set and Forget Humidification system. You will not regret it!

PS: I have mine set at 64%

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if you want to add some fans, i think viper 139 can set you up. Also, you can try adding an extra pound of viper139's beads. Obviously, I am a big fan of using active, electronic humidification with multiple fans and cannisters. As mentioned, the "set and forget" will do the job, as well as the Avallo Accumonitor.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Whether you go active or passive is a decision you have to make. They will both work well. I have an active at home and passive (beads) at my office. More importantly....when you become a 65% convert you will notice that the bands do indeed slide. You want the smoke to be firm to the feel (not spongy) like 70/70 NC. You also don't want them crunch like cereal so if you can hold the 63-65% you are good. I would try a fan first. You can get one at Radio Shack.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I have a cabinet 4x3x2. I have been using beads (3lbs) for a couple of years now along with a small RS fan and it maintains 63-65 %. I don't have a singles drawer so I store everything in boxes and I don't rotate.
I would try a fan first.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I agree with alot of folks above, you need to get the air moving around a little. Active systems such as the Avallo Accumonitor have fans built into the canisters so that moves the air around when it is activated to add moisture. If you use beads you may need to add some more but the important thing is to move the air around. I have programmable timers I use in the humis I build and small fans if you have trouble finding them elsewhere.