What's new

Lunch Interview?! Advice, please.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Probably not appropriate to tell a BOTL like you to use manners. Other than that, being nervous is not a bad thing. Find common interests to chat about.
Probably doesn't help you down there, but if I see a guy with cowboy boots in an interview up here for a field laborer position, instant hire cause I know he's a hard worker.

KK33

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I showed up in a suit. Both of them were in shorts and flip-flops. Hang out for two hours, shooting the breeze. Said they will make a choice next week, and let me know.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I showed up in a suit. Both of them were in shorts and flip-flops. Hang out for two hours, shooting the breeze. Said they will make a choice next week, and let me know.
That's funny. Oh well, they know you mean business now. I am usually underdressed when I interview people as well so. Good luck bro!

KK33

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
There is nothing wrong with this at all...

I'd much prefer to be overdressed.. than make the mistake of under dressing....

There should be little doubt that you have the ability to dress down if the occasion requires...

But I often question the ability of an employee to "dress" up if they are ever required to sit in on a meeting with the executive team, or make a presentation to a senior official from another company or the government etc...

I very closely scrutinize potential hires on personal appearance issues as well as behavioral issues that could potentially embarass me/the company/etc.. in front of my seniors and/or my customers..

Sadly.. I cant tell you how many people I have had show up in 10 button, double brested, "pimp" suits to interviews where they know the "customer" is corporate america and/or the government.. or how many times I have had 40-60 year old men talk to me in "text" speak while trying to discuss how they would manage a multi million dollar project to support a government initiative.. etc..etc..

I dont care if they have educations from Stanford, and 30+ years in the industry... if you cant act and look like a professional... I dont need you on my team..

Once youre on the team... If we want to have a meeting sitting poolside, drinking margaritas, in flip flops and bermuda shorts, while listening to classic Jimmy Buffett.. so be it...

but until youre on the inside.. you dont get that privledge....

Hope you knocked em dead Sean! Let us know how things turn out!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an interview like this I think it is always good to follow up with a thank you email. Keeps you on their minds and at the top of the candidate pile. Make the email thoughtful and quick and maybe even suggest another lunch place to try!

Hope you get the job Sean keep us posted! Looks like you have a lot of friends rooting for ya! If you don't mind me asking what type of job is it? Best of luck again!