What's new

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Upgraded both my systems today and I must say, I'm very impressed with this new version. Everything seems to be a bit snappier, Mail looks alot different (and a bit fugly) but I'm oh-so-glad the mailbox drawers are gone.

Also picked up a LaCie 160GB firewire backup harddrive and a Griffin iTrip (fm transmitter) for the iPod mini.

Three nice purchases; too bad I got into my car accident right after that...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I like my griffin iTrip.. works well just find a station that works well and you are golden... Even though i think my next purchase for my ipod will be the adapter to my pioneer headunit so that i can just plug it in....

It shows your Ipod display on the screen of the headunit very nice...

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
tobby4 said:
I like my griffin iTrip.. works well just find a station that works well and you are golden... Even though i think my next purchase for my ipod will be the adapter to my pioneer headunit so that i can just plug it in....

It shows your Ipod display on the screen of the headunit very nice...
I want to do the same but I believe the only current thing that will work with my manufacturers radio is the Denison IceLink (which doesn't do all the niceties that the Pioneer kit provides).

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea.. I believe that you are correct... I just bought another car, (a 95 Civic with 55K miles on it so i would not have a car payment) a different story...

but it does not have a CD player and i have to buy a headunit anyway so i might as well fork over the extra 20 bucks to buy the one that comes ready for the adapter and then if i decide later on that i really do what the adapter then i will pay the 129 for it... Its a little steep if you ask me but the idea and technology is great, hopefully in a few years everybody will do what BMW is and hard wiring an ipod portal in the middle console....

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I'm really suprised that more of the car and stereo manufacturers haven't taken advantage of adding the support for it. Look at companies like Belkin and Griffin. Both making a killing on the iPod market now...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Honestly Pioneer might have a contract.... but when you think about sony for example... arent they trying to push their own Portable device?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yes madAl i have the second generation Ipod and it works fine....
I actually just bought a new head unit for my car with an auxiliry outlet in the front so all i have to do is plug the ipod straight into the CD player and it sounds just like it does out of the headphones...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
tobby, you have a CD adaptor? I've been wondering if those are available as I bought the missus an iPod and her new car has a CD player (my iPod is a 5 gb, not sure if it's a first or second generation). Tell me more!!!! (her birthday is the end of the week)

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
The only big complaint from me on Tiger is that Spotlight is painfully slow. Then again, I'm used to running LaunchBar. And yes, I do realize Spotlight searches every file on your system while LaunchBar does not. Why couldn't Apple integrate a 'recently searched' group to the Spotlight interface, where it would come up immediately (ala browser auto-completion)?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
damn.. i need to check this room more often...

Madal, i bought a new headunit for my car and it has one of the auxiliry speakers up front so all i have to do is plug the ipod up via a mini to mini cord, yes it would work with your 5 gb Ipod but there are not any factory headunits that i know of that come with an auxiliry outlet up front, as a matter of fact most after market headunits dont either, they leave them in the back for amps and so on...

sorry it took so long but i have not been reading this room very much....