What's new

Machine made and short/mixed filler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rafael Gonzales PEs are short filler and they're awesome. Tasty, consistent, a size that's convenient for me, and a good price.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Personally I don't like the burn and short ash of most short filler cigars. I also seem to spit out more tobacco bits while smoking them. They may be the same tobacco as long fill but normally its the trimmings and passed over leaf that gets chopped up.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Just to clarify, I'm certainly not putting these down at all. I smoke and enjoy a fair number of short/mixed fillers and machine mades, especially the jlp petit cazadores and Cazadores and machine made Cigarillos sized smokes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I bought a bunch of Party Chicos and the Monte equivalents a while back when they were on sale for like 35 cents/stick (if you bought enough of them) - machine made short fill etc, they’re like a 29rg or something stupidly small like that... it was essentially like buying a carton of cigarettes, except from Hong Kong instead of the gas station.

They’re a quick smoke that I can take with me when a real cigar (even a minuto or perla) would be too much and end up getting mostly wasted, but I know that I’m going to want to smoke - even if it is very much like a cigarette break. For what they are, they’re not bad - better than a cigarette, anyway.

But I’ve smoked my share of JLP, Quintero, and LFdC, and the handmade short fillers always end up leaving me wishing I’d spent an extra dollar or so per stick for something better. The RG PE is certainly not a bad smoke, but... wouldn’t it be better if it was an RG Perla?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bunch of Party Chicos and the Monte equivalents a while back when they were on sale for like 35 cents/stick (if you bought enough of them) - machine made short fill etc, they’re like a 29rg or something stupidly small like that... it was essentially like buying a carton of cigarettes, except from Hong Kong instead of the gas station.

They’re a quick smoke that I can take with me when a real cigar (even a minuto or perla) would be too much and end up getting mostly wasted, but I know that I’m going to want to smoke - even if it is very much like a cigarette break. For what they are, they’re not bad - better than a cigarette, anyway.

But I’ve smoked my share of JLP, Quintero, and LFdC, and the handmade short fillers always end up leaving me wishing I’d spent an extra dollar or so per stick for something better. The RG PE is certainly not a bad smoke, but... wouldn’t it be better if it was an RG Perla?
I smoke perlas also, I just prefer the size of the PE

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I just bought a couple 5 packs each of the party chico's and monte Puritos, and have been pleasantly surprised by them, especially for the price.
Pretty decent for a 15 minute smoke

Have smoked quite a few Quinteros and JLP'S, and will be getting a few of my first LFdC's with my next order

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've also enjoyed a few short fillers, but not many. Here are my issues.

Bits of tobacco in your mouth (punching is better than cutting)
Ash falls off quickly causing a mess
They tend to get soft at the head during the smoke.
The burn is often poor due to not having slower burning leaves placed down the centre.
The flavor seems one dimensional. I think this is because the short filler is too homogeneous.
Most importantly, the best leaves are used in the best cigars and short filler cigars are not them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've also enjoyed a few short fillers, but not many. Here are my issues.

Bits of tobacco in your mouth (punching is better than cutting)
Ash falls off quickly causing a mess
They tend to get soft at the head during the smoke.
The burn is often poor due to not having slower burning leaves placed down the centre.
The flavor seems one dimensional. I think this is because the short filler is too homogeneous.
Most importantly, the best leaves are used in the best cigars and short filler cigars are not them.
Have never had the issue with tobacco getting in my mouth which is good since that really bugs me.

Also cant recall having more burn issues with them than with premium long fillers.
The one dimensional flavor I certainly agree with though. They certainly aren't high end, hand made long fillers for sure, but they are also way cheaper.
The ones I have tried haven't wowed me by any means, but I have enjoyed the taste and they have a place in my stash for me.

Mainly have settled on just the JLP Petit Cazadores and Quintero favoritos. They are the ones i found enjoyable enough to keep in stock, especially being so cheap.

Am excited to try some La Flor de Canos with next months order. Will be my first of the marca as they are hard to find as singles and are usually out of stock with all my singles vendors.
I kinda take the low availability to be a good sign though.

I have had very good luck with the cheaper of the long filler, hand made cc's, and also with the very cheap short fillers.

Just got my first machine mades with my last order: the Montecristo Puritos, RyJ Puritos and Partagas Chicos. Have very much enjoyed them with the exception of the RyJ's being too mild. They smoke perfectly, are super cheap, are flavorful and nice to have around when you only want a 15 minute smoke.

Plan to try the Trinidad Shorts instead of the RyJ's next time I order more. They get very good reviews

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I used to love the old Partagas and RyJ mm’s particularly the perfecto ones. But those have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Cubans stopped making machine made cigars in 2005. The cigarillos are all machine made, but all the short filler cigars are hand rolled now. Not that that made a huge improvement, construction on them is generally worse than their long filler counterparts. I agree they’re pretty one dimensional as one would imagine and some of them just get sloppy and fall apart in that last 1/3. But I’ve had good ones before, treat em like any other cigar and dry box em.

Last edited: