What's new

Making a humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my house came with a closet in the basement lined with cedar (probably for fur coats, of which we have none). It may not be Spanish cedar, so the aromatics may be null... but it helps keep my humidor at nice humidity levels with minimal extra humidity work inside the humidor. Question is... I want to convert the entire closet into a humidor. This will help me out big time, as I am currently outgrowing all of my humidors. Simple solution is to just smoke a lot of them and fit my collection back into my humidors, but where’s the fun in that? I want to keep growing my collection as I smoke them!

So I have looked into a lot of options, it seems what would be best option is to build Spanish cedar shelves/drawers and go from there. I measured the humidity in the closet last night, winter weather has brought the temp to 58 degrees and the humidity to 30%. I can buy/program a humidity controller and install a humidifier (probably a $60 item from target or something), which in my opinion would work as long as I kept it stocked with clean water. However, I do worry about 2 things: 1) should I be concerned about the temperature being too far under 70 degrees (temp control may be too pricey and therefore render the project dead in the water) and 2) how should I go about preventing mold from growing in the room?

As mentioned earlier, the entire room (floor and ceiling as well) is lined in cedar, and the door creates a nice seal with a tiny amount of gap under the door to let excess air out. I just don’t want to start working on this, put money and effort in, only to result in me wrecking the entire room with mold. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This Sould be an interesting thread. My take is if you want to tackle this project, listen to people whop have done such a project, and expect to spend big buck s to get it right. IMHO the Cedar in the Closet is not the Spanish verity, so you maybe looking at a tear out, and fresh start.

JMHO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s what I’m afraid of. I mean, if that is the case... I will just build a humidor out of Spanish cedar instead. I don’t have huge bucks to spend, but I enjoy building things. I know a good, high capacity humidor is expensive (I already own one), and they are very pretty... but for practical purposes I could probably build an ugly one for $80, which would help me with my expanding collection but also satiate my need to build things.

It all depends on how much extra money it would cost to truly convert the room. If I can keep the room intact and just buy/build humidity control, that’s ideal. If I need to add temp control, that’s harder. But if I need to rip out the room? At that point, I would just leave it as a nice room in which I keep my humidors

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In my case the cooling is the limiting factor. The only reason I haven't built a stand alone, Spanish cedar humidor is the cost and maintenance of the cooling system. Do you have any concerns about the existing cedar?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I would just sheathe Spanish cedar over the red cedar.

I don't think lows of 58 will be a deal killer at all, that wouldn't bother me, but you could put in a small oil heater with a thermostat to run between 62 - 68 if you really wanted to.
I'd go for it man.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find a source for spanish cedar that's reasonable let us know. I bought a piece 1/4x 5 x48 for $24. Thats over $57 a board foot.