What's new

Making Bacon

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Any brothers out there make their own bacon and willing to share some recipes and tips? I have a lot of experience with homemade jerky, summer sausage, pepper stix, and all kinds of smoked meats and fish, but none with bacon. Do you like a wet or dry cure and advantages to each. I know I could go to a food forum, but there are a lot of brothers here with different hobbies that might be able to give some advice and this is the only forum I frequent on a regular basis.

Thanks,
Mike

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have made my own Canadian bacon using Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure kit. Right now I can get whole pork loins for $1.99 a Pound and that was my reasoning for giving it a try. I would rather have bacon for breakfast but the Canadian bacon really shines when I whip up a batch of Calico Beans. I use over 2 pound but then again that is a double batch. It is always requested for our family Christmas party and there are no leftovers. That over 6 quarts :jawdrop:

Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.himtnjerky.com/Buckboard-Bacon-Cure.html

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have made my own Canadian bacon using Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure kit. Right now I can get whole pork loins for $1.99 a Pound and that was my reasoning for giving it a try. I would rather have bacon for breakfast but the Canadian bacon really shines when I whip up a batch of Calico Beans. I use over 2 pound but then again that is a double batch. It is always requested for our family Christmas party and there are no leftovers. That over 6 quarts :jawdrop:

Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.himtnjerky.com/Buckboard-Bacon-Cure.html
But it cannot be canadian bacon if its made in the us!! That is like canadian whiskey made in scotland. They call it scotch rofl

(Do not take this post seriously...)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The couple of times I've done it, it's always been a dry cure with kosher salt, pink salt, pepper, and brown sugar I think. It ended up more like a Virginia ham that was oversalted and had been on the smoker. I think the pork belly I bought from a carniceria wasn't the pork belly that was needed, plus, I couldnt slice it thin enough. However, it was awesome in a pot of beans. Either way. I'd like to try it again if I can find a better recipe

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I think they called it Canadian bacon cause "ham" was already being used lol
Around the turn of the last century (or as they say, "during the war years"), England had a pork shortage. They imported side bacon from Canada, smoked it and termed it "Wiltshire Sides" in England. Due to this event Canadian bacon was made famous. Over time the United States believed that Canadian bacon was smoked back bacon although true Canadian bacon is not smoked.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The couple of times I've done it, it's always been a dry cure with kosher salt, pink salt, pepper, and brown sugar I think. It ended up more like a Virginia ham that was oversalted and had been on the smoker. I think the pork belly I bought from a carniceria wasn't the pork belly that was needed, plus, I couldnt slice it thin enough. However, it was awesome in a pot of beans. Either way. I'd like to try it again if I can find a better recipe
I was told that you need to smoke the side pork at a very low temp for a long time. Something like 190 for 12 hours for it to take on the smoke but not to cook it. I use a charcoal smoker and that was my down fall. My next try will be the gas smoker.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Around the turn of the last century (or as they say, "during the war years"), England had a pork shortage. They imported side bacon from Canada, smoked it and termed it "Wiltshire Sides" in England. Due to this event Canadian bacon was made famous. Over time the United States believed that Canadian bacon was smoked back bacon although true Canadian bacon is not smoked.
just teasing you brother I`m a scrapple guy myself lol

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was told that you need to smoke the side pork at a very low temp for a long time. Something like 190 for 12 hours for it to take on the smoke but not to cook it. I use a charcoal smoker and that was my down fall. My next try will be the gas smoker.
As far as the smokiness, it's probably going to boil down to your personal preference, your fuel, and your setup. I have an offset smoker with a "southern engineered" reverse flow made from scrap ceramic I found, and wood and charcoal to fuel. When I had done it, I was also smoking brisket. I like to wrap my brisket once the meat hits a certain temp. After I had wrapped it, I pulled the reverse flow out, ran all wood (cheaper and more smoke), and put the bacon on the cool side of the cabinet for 4 hours. It was plenty of smoke for me. Why didn't it work on your charcoal?

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My smoker was running too hot and ended up cooking it more than smoking it. It taste great but was basically done when I pulled it. No need to cook it when serving and that is why the beans were such a good option. I tried it in omelets and scrambled eggs but it was a little too tough or chewy.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm going to go the cold smoking route. Any good cure recipes? I would like to use tenderquick if possible because I have a lot on hand.