What's new

Man Caves on DIY

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone see the Man Caves episode this morning on DIY?

I'm sure many of us can relate to being requested/ordered by family to smoke outside. It's freakin' cold to be smoking up here lately, so it's been over a month since I last had a good smoke.

This guy got help turning a small basement room into the perfect smoking room. Hmmm...gotta get that one on record for the future project list.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I watched it last week and was disappointed. It needed to be 1 hour long and go more into what the ventilation system consisted of.

Still pretty cool if not inspiring :)
~M

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I saw it.

The ventilation system just consisted of ducting and a fan outside. All that hot heat will be sent right outside.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I saw a thread on another board about a guy an his brother building a cigar room in the basement. He had all the duct work done so the exhaust fan was in the laundry room or water heater room and he had a fresh air intake with a heater attached. Also, the room was hooked into the home central air/heat with a regulator switch that closed the vents when he is in there, and opens them when there is nobody smoking. Pretty cool stuff.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I need one I just have a basement that floods every spring, so I do not want to invest the time & money untill I get the basement sealed.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I saw a thread on another board about a guy an his brother building a cigar room in the basement. He had all the duct work done so the exhaust fan was in the laundry room or water heater room and he had a fresh air intake with a heater attached. Also, the room was hooked into the home central air/heat with a regulator switch that closed the vents when he is in there, and opens them when there is nobody smoking. Pretty cool stuff.
I think you're talking about this http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom/index.html

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of building my own cigar room in the basement. It has been a slow process but none the less one that I am continually working on. I have gone off the same plans/outline as Ryan http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom/index.html
I may change a few things like tapping into the main HVAC , placement of the exhaust fan and the installation of a outside door(already weather stripped) but all in all it will be close to the same room.
The room will be 14x12 w/a leather love seat and two leather swivel barrel chairs. I am installing a 42" Plasma TV and surround sound. The walls will be waynes coating and stained a dark cherry and the same goes for crown molding. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I've been bombarding Ryan with questions.He also is a wealth of knowledge in the process of constructing a cigar room.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Interesting that he installed the fresh air intake right beside the exhaust vent! Seems to work counterproductive to each other.

I saw that mancaves also. I'm surprised they didn't line the ceiling with some kind of barrier. My wife can smell smoke inside the kitchen sometimes if I'm on the back patio having a cigar. I would need to have some kind of barrier installed in the walls and ceiling. (something like a vapor barrier, but for smoke)

Mark, I'm with you, I would have liked to have seen a little more information about the ventilation system.