What's new

Marlin Guide Gun, who's got one?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Anyone? Think I'll just keep posting these types of posts to see who on the board, if anyone, has the guns on my dream list. :lol:

Fairly high up on the list of "firearms I gotta get next" is the Marlin Guide Gun in SS in 45-70 or 450 Marlin (just cause it's BIG!). Throw on some ghost ring iron sites...I've already got an aimpoint I can switch off the AR, and that should be one fun blaster. Probably the most "affordable" of the weapons on my must buy list as well. I've seen these for $400 slightly used.

So who has or has fired one?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Out of curiousity, what made you go with the 450 vs the 45-70? From what I've read, the 45-70 loads can be loaded about as hot as the 450.

Scoped? If so, what with?

kctaxman

...not postpadding...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Out of curiousity, what made you go with the 450 vs the 45-70? From what I've read, the 45-70 loads can be loaded about as hot as the 450.

Scoped? If so, what with?
I got a good deal on it at a gun show; the 45-70 is more versatile if you reload.
I do not have a scope on it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Think I'll just keep posting these types of posts to see who on the board, if anyone, has the guns on my dream list. :lol:

Fairly high up on the list of "firearms I gotta get next" is the Marlin Guide Gun in SS in 45-70 or 450 Marlin (just cause it's BIG!). Throw on some ghost ring iron sites...I've already got an aimpoint I can switch off the AR, and that should be one fun blaster. Probably the most "affordable" of the weapons on my must buy list as well. I've seen these for $400 slightly used.

So who has or has fired one?
I had a Marlin 336 in 45/70 and with Factory loads its potent but I forget if it was hornady or speer but one of the reloading manuels have data for the marlin and strong actions. I fired them at mid way to what they recomend and firing 5 rounds my right shoulder was BLACK when I got home an hour later. forget the black & Blue the Black covered the blue but wow the power it let loose the outdoor range made me stop firing it after the initial 5 rounds they thought it was a 358 win mag by the sound. just work it up slow as I did and when my arm couldn't take anymore I stopped there but still no signs of pressure on the shells or flattening of the primerin fact i have one here start at58.0 grns of H335 for1839 with a 400 grn bullet max is 62.0 for 1955 fps and I know the older manuel it went higher on loads but its a new time and new powder. that info came out of the new speer manuelaccording to this manuel using a 350 grn bullet gives3500 ftlbs of muzzle energy. that should feel good but watch the book as they have them (loads) for older guns lever guns and guns like ruger etc but I experimented and went .2-.3 grns more each load until I got what I wanted. and it was a cannon:chat::chat:

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Great guns and I've owned several variants thrugh the years but mostly 30-30 and .35. Great for short range but don't sell em short out to a couple hundred yards even with iron sights. I like the 450 over the 45-70, but the 45-70 is much easier to find ammo or reoading componets for. One of the best guns for shooting straight through dense brush, it's amazing how far a twig can bounce a 30-06 off target. Saw a brown bear hit with a 450, dropped on the spot!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Was going to start another thread, but found this.

Going to buy Marlin 1895GBL .45-70 at Cabela's for $579.99, with $100 off with their visa card. Wanted something big enough to stop all North American animals. Can't wait to pick it up.

Also, most of the ammo I found was around 29 to 52 a box of twenty. Have a friend willing to reload for free, after buying primers, bullets, etc. What a guy!:cbig:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
My favorite gun in .45-70, i"ve shot my buddy's and it's tolerable...

I haven't bought the guidegun yet but it really is on the shortlist of must haves!~

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I didn't get the .45-70 Marlin yet....but...won a Ruger 60th Anniversary MKIII from a gun raffle, traded it in for a new Ruger New Vaquero .45LC, bought a Marlin Cowboy .45LC and am going to join SASS.

.45-70 still on my list and haven't decided to go with the Guide Gun or the Cowboy. Cowboy holds 9!:bouncetau

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nice. I finally did pick one up a little while ago. Second trip to the range with it this weekend and it's a kicker, that's for sure. Have the scout scope sighted in, but still need to do the iron sights. I swapped out the standard for XO ghost rings and keep forgetting to bring the right equipment to make adjustments.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL. Looking at the Lyman sights. I'd rather just have iron. Too many negatives for scopes on the lever action. Thanks!:agreesmil

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wanted something big enough to stop all North American animals.
Buy a Dodge Ram 2500 CTD.

Have confirmed kills of Mountain Lions (Wyoming), White Tails (California), no idea how many Possums and 'coons (across the USA), two BMW's, a Nissan, a Toyota and a Dodge Challenger.

:tiphat: