What's new

maybe this pipe stuff is not for me...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get into pipe smoking after really liking cigars for the past few years
.But it seems I am missing something or doing something incorrectly that is not making pipes a enjoyable experience for me.
Should I quit the pipe and stick to cigars? I am thinking pipes are not for me… but I hope I am wrong and can learn to love the briar !

I do not inhale when I smoke cigars or pipes. I do it to enjoy the flavors and the body of the smoke
So flavor is way more important to me then nicotine strength… which is why I thought pipe smoking would be good for me to try

Normally, this is how I like to smoke cigars
I like to sit back and take long draws that fill my mouth will creamy smoke.. then I slowly blow out and enjoy all the flavors
I wait maybe 45 seconds and repeat to give my cigar time to cool and my mouth time to refresh its palate

But for pipes,
It seems I have to keep puffing just to keep the sucker lit.
Also, I only get that full body smoke when I light or re-light it.. then it quickly dies down and the smoke is mild body at best
I have tried a few different pipes, both filter and non filter. Tried to pack the pipe a few different ways that I have read and watch on the web
But the end result for me is the same no matter what:

I only get mild flavors and “wimpy” smoke
And since I have to keep taking a bunch of short puffs to keep it lit, I don’t get tongue bite, but my through hurts afterwards! so I must be inhaling a bit trough all my puffing work

I have tried English blends (most recently the McClelland’s Ebony Cajun blend) as well as Aromatics
So both being “ tobacco store grade”, not Walgreen

But could I just still just be a noob, or is pipe smoking this much different from a cigar experience?

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts or suggestions for me brothers!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say either get thee to the local pipe club OR even the local pipe store. Ask 'em!

"Hey, what am I doin' wrong!"

What I have noticed is that pipe store guys kinda lament the dying of the hobby and will go out of their way to encourage enthusiasm and participation.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Pipes are quite a different animal vs. cigars. As you have already found, you aren't going to get the same volume of smoke. If you find that you are constantly puffing on the pipe to keep it lit, you might be smoking tobacco that is too moist, packing the bowl too tight, or you didn't light the bowl properly to begin. Tobacco at the right moisture content + packed right should burn evenly and allow you to puff 1-2 times per minute max without problems.

Regarding strength / body of the flavors, depending on the blend, you should find the experience is on par with cigars. I'd avoid the flavored aromatics and stick with English and Balkan blends. What other blends have you smoked?

Try:
Esoterica Margate or Stonehaven
GL Pease Westminster, Maltese Falcon or Chelsea Morning

You might also try cutting off part of the foot on one of your cigars, cutting it up real well and mixing with a current pipe blend you do like that is just lacking in flavor.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
my guess is the way you are packing it. also when you light it, don't just light the middle of the bowl, get the whole thing lit, and you need to tamp it down a bit during the bowl. There are several regular pipe smokes here, who will chime in and give you more tips

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again for your input!
the more i am thinking of what both of you said, the more i think it may be my packing it too tighlty

i think i have cigars on my mind when i pack it (since cigar tobacoo is bunched so tighlty )

i will start with re learning how to pack and let you know how i make out in a few days

thanks again for your help!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Piping definitely requires more attention & patience than a cigar. When you get it right though - it's extreemly enjoyable, though sometimes I admit that I'll smoke another bowl right after before I'm fully satisfied.

I've been enjoying some VaPers while breaking in a new pipe (Virginia & Perique):
Rattrays - Old Gownie & Hal O the Wynd
Samuel Gawaith - St James Flake & Full Viginia Flake
McClelland - Scottish Cake

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
i lay my tobacco out and let it dry a little before packing the bowl. it seems to burn better that way...

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree as was already stated... Sounds like the packing is the problem here. Could be either too tightly OR too loose, both can cause the problems you've described. On my larger size bowl pipes, it's not uncommon to have it last for an hour or so. Relights are just going to happen if you smoke a pipe but they should be at a minimal if the packing is done correctly. It just takes a little practice is all... Never give up!

dougc905

Mostly pipes
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to puff a lot just to keep the tobacco lit, then perhaps it is too moist. Most pipe tobacco is fairly moist in the tin and that is really too moist for smoking. Try leaving a pipe-full out on a sheet of paper for a while so that it can dry a bit. I dry my VA blends so that they are just a bit 'moister' than crunchy. That is, if the tobacco crunches when you handle it, it is too dry. Experiment to find the correct humidity for your smoking style.

I find that when I open a tin I can leave it for months with the lid occasionally coming off to load a pipe. It will slowly dry out until I get the humidity that I like. Thereafter, I maintain moisture with a squirt of distilled water from a plant mister.

You will also find that some pipes smoke better with tobaccos of different humidity. The cut of the tobacco also affects the smoking quality. As does the leaf. That's why some people dedicate certain pipes to say, VA blends and other pipes to English blends, etc.

If you want a mouthfull of flavour, then you need to go beyond Virginias and definitely aromatics. This is where B&M stores are essential. Go in and try a bowl of an English blend. There are a whole range of tastes in the English blends. Also, why not try a cigar tobacco blend? These blends use a certain amount of cigar tobacco along with traditional pipe tobaccos in the blend. Lastly, investigate the world of burly tobacco. These are frequently cased with a topping but also have a more pronounced taste.

Kudos on the lack of tongue bite. Especially if you are puffing up a thundercloud in your attempt to realise strong flavour!

Begin your investigation at a well stocked B&M, then try tobaccoreviews.com for user's opinions.

...Doug

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again for all your help...

i am HAPPY to report that last night i had the best bowl of pipe smoking yet!!
good flavor, draw, creamy smoke etc..

i packed it last night more more loosely .. so my problem was packing it too tight before !

now i see the light!!
thank you pipe brothers!!!

:youarethe:youarethe:youarethe