What's new

McClelland Frog Morton Across The Pond - PToM Feb 2017 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Frog Morton Across the Pond
Brand:
McClelland
Blend Type: English
Contents: Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 50g Tin, 100g Tin

From mcclellandtobacco.com:
Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip.

The McClelland Tobacco Company specializes in manufacturing the highest quality Matured Virginias and Oriental Mixtures. We are proud to renew the tradition of fine craftsmanship that distinguished the great tobacco houses of England and Scotland nearly a century ago. We have brought together an unusual combination of artistic and scientific skill enhanced by a commitment to make available tobaccos as good as those produced by the most renowned companies in their best years.

We use the highest grades of leaf and strip tobaccos because of their basic richness and natural sweetness. We work with small batch sizes to maintain the strictest quality control. Hand processing is combined as necessary with specially-designed machinery to insure our tobaccos are as free as possible of fine particles, sand and stems. We also take great care in the various maturing processes required for our different types of tobacco. It is the aging of the leaf before manufacturing, again in our cake processing, and yet again for months to years in the tin that mellows our tobaccos and develops their rich depth of flavor, color and aroma.

Since 1977, we have worked hard to bring to our customers pipe tobaccos of which we can be truly proud. We pledge our continuing commitment to the development of pipe tobaccos of the highest quality. We are confident you will find McClelland tobaccos to be among the finest you've ever smoked.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My favorite in the Frog Morton line thanks to the Syrian latakia. It's more round, smooth, and while it may sound strange when speaking of latakia, more mellow. The Orientals add a touch of sour, and for me, the VA kinda hangs out in the background with just a very minor supporting role.

If you're on the fence about trying a lat blend, or have tried others in the past & didn't care for it, give this one a shot. It gets the heart of the lat flavor without being too rough around the edges, or smashing your palate like some of the bombs do. And it accomplishes this while still hanging out in the med/med-full range.

They call it a ribbon, and I guess it mostly is, but it's definitely a coarse one. Mechanically, if you're thinking Dunhill ease, you'll be disappointed. This one needs a pretty significant amount of drying time but rewards your patience with an above average smoking time that burns nice & cool at a pace that you don't have to concentrate on.

After smoking my way through the line, this is the only one I've done a repeat purchase of so far, and I made sure it was the 3.5 oz tin.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought some of this never had any so bump for reviews.

Just received my first ever tin of this and have yet too Crack it open. As a noob I been picking up a s much stuff I can to see what I like and have some other stuff to finish off before I get too it.

Long story longer, Tis great to read others thoughts on this one and to those pondering a write up you have an audience with me at least.

Cheers

Last edited: