What's new

McClellands Yenidje Supreme - first impression

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Line: McClellands Grand Orientals
Blend: Yenidje Supreme
Components: Virginia and Yenidje (Oriental)
Pipe: Ruthenberg bent brandy
Drink: Iced tea

I recently heard about the new McClelland Grand Oriental line and wanted to give them a try. There are 6 different blends currently being distributed, with two more slated for introduction late this summer. I bought 2 tins of each blend from Mars Cigars late last week and received them today ... along with Mike's typical sample baggie of pipe tobacco. (Macbaren HH Mature VA)

It was a tough choice to decide which to open, but I finally decided to go with the Yenidje Supreme. Yenidje is an Oriental tobacco that is grown in northeastern Greece, near the city of Xanthi. The Oriental tobaccos grown here are considered some of the best in the world and Yenidje was one of the key components in Balkan Sobranie Original. Many old-time pipe smokers thought of this blend in the same light that cigar smokers think of the finest cubans today ... at least the version of this blend that was made back in the 50's, 60's and 70s'.

On opening the tin you are greeted with a nest of ribbon-cut tobacco in multicolor hues of brown. The tin aroma is of stewed tomatoes, raisins and some lighty smokey / sweet spices. What struch me right away was that the blend had a perfect moisture content ... somewhere in between a typical Cornell & Diehl blend and Frog Morton.

I loded up my Ruthenberg and headed out to the backyard. The initial light was easy and after tamping, I proceeded with the final light needed for this bowl. The core flavors were very reminicent of aged 5100 ... with that slightly tart tingle you get on your tongue from the Virginia leaf. Along with this were flavors of creamy, smokey spices. The smoke volume was very good and although the pipe became warm as the bowl progressed, the resulting smoke never became hot or bitey. The room aroma was also quite nice. There is not alot of nicotine strength, but enough to relax. Also when the bowl was finished, there was an interesting aftertaste ... sort of like what you'd experience after eating chocolate covered raisins.

My first impression is that Yenidje Superme is an excellent blend and one that should age very well.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
What the hell is one more vise? Read this review and went over to CK and bought a couple of new pipes, couple of tins of dunhill tobacco. Had the first bowl last night, I had a hard time keeping the tobacco lit. I think I was smoking to fast in fact the bowl got a little warm but the smoke never bit and I thoughly enjoyed myself, the last half was much better than the first. Just a ton of flavor and really relaxing. I can't wait to get the hang of it and then trying the different tobaccos.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Way to go Ken! Pipes can be a nice offshoot from cigars. They take a bit more effort, but I find it's worth it.

For better burning tobacco, try letting the tobacco dry out for a bit before loading up the pipe. Take a couple pinches out of the tin and let it sit out for a short while on a paper towel.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Way to go Ken! Pipes can be a nice offshoot from cigars. They take a bit more effort, but I find it's worth it.

For better burning tobacco, try letting the tobacco dry out for a bit before loading up the pipe. Take a couple pinches out of the tin and let it sit out for a short while on a paper towel.
Will do, thanks my friend.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What the hell is one more vise? Read this review and went over to CK and bought a couple of new pipes, couple of tins of dunhill tobacco. Had the first bowl last night, I had a hard time keeping the tobacco lit. I think I was smoking to fast in fact the bowl got a little warm but the smoke never bit and I thoughly enjoyed myself, the last half was much better than the first. Just a ton of flavor and really relaxing. I can't wait to get the hang of it and then trying the different tobaccos.
Start a new thread and tell us about the pipes you bought. What they are and why you chose them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this review. Very interesting. Really prompts one to sample these blends.

The British first used naturally aromatic Turkish tobacco to temper the Virginia they normally preferred (this was before Burley was discovered). Have we neglected Oriental mixes? This posting suggest a delightful subject for study. :razz: