What's new

Meerschaum March Madness

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Last fall, @thedismaltrade mentioned something about "Meerschaum March Madness" and I was instantly on board.
Thoughts for all you Pipaz----Meerschaum Monday is a great thing to. do there's also Meerschaum March Madness where you smoke a meerschaum all month long to see how it colors. Take a picture all along the way. Great fun
This will happen!
But I don't just want to do it myself, I want to make it in to an event.
So, here we are!
Dig out that old estate meer. Get 'er all cleaned up and ready.
Finally pull the trigger on that new meer you've been eyeballing.
Let have some fun with this!
I will be committing to at least one prize for this, maybe more based on participation, but I'd love to have some other BOTL pipers sponsor some prizes as well.
Best end of the month coloring on a meer that started the month white? (new/restored)
Best restoration of a previously smoked estate meer?
Most days smoking the same meer over the month?
Most bowls smoked in the same meer?
Most number of blends in one meer?
Any other ideas would be great!
If you want to sponsor a prize let me know.
We'll get something finalized over the course of this coming week, but in the meantime, start planning what meer(s) YOU want to smoke for Meerschaum March Madness!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last fall, @thedismaltrade mentioned something about "Meerschaum March Madness" and I was instantly o
Finally pull the trigger on that new meer you've been eyeballing.

We'll get something finalized over the course of this coming week, but in the meantime, start planning what meer(s) YOU want to smoke for Meerschaum March Madness!
Colour me empowered!!

Sounds like fun. If I pull that "trigger" - there will have to be a noob award :).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. People really carve some crazy shit out of meerschaum and call it a pipe lol
Yeah - but some are real works of art.

I like minimalist mixed with fuction myself - this one really caught my eye:

http://www.meerschaumstore.com/Meerschaum_Classic_Pipes.asp?pg=22

It is selling for $170... which if I knew that I was going to get into pipes hard would be an easy sell but at this point...

This seems like a good source for less expensive pipes - http://www.royalmeerschaumpipes.com/Mini-Smooth-Meerschaum-Pipes-p/ms118bc.htm

But I am not recommending - just looking myself.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Damnt like I needed another excuse to pick up a pipe! This sounds like a hell of a lot of fun Not sure how road worthy a meer would be but I'm definitely interested in picking one up. Who has some advice on what to look for and where to pick up a good one (ever since smoking the BOTL 2014 pipe I'm kind of obsessed with picking up great quality pipes!). I'd also be down to sponsor a prize for this (i can drop ship with the best of 'em).

..... oh and anyone who needs Clint's new addy to properly welcome him into his new home let me know :whistle:

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yeah - but some are real works of art.

I like minimalist mixed with fuction myself - this one really caught my eye:

http://www.meerschaumstore.com/Meerschaum_Classic_Pipes.asp?pg=22

It is selling for $170... which if I knew that I was going to get into pipes hard would be an easy sell but at this point...

This seems like a good source for less expensive pipes - http://www.royalmeerschaumpipes.com/Mini-Smooth-Meerschaum-Pipes-p/ms118bc.htm

But I am not recommending - just looking myself.
That is fantastic

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic
To answer your question - I understand there are different grades. How much you'll notice seemingly is up for debate. Those pipes you see with Meerschaum lined Barbur, seemingly utilize the lowest grade Meer. I can't tell if Turkish Meer is the bomb - or the cheapest. But the largest retailers seem to stock a bunch of Turkish Meer. Meer pipes became a thing in the early 1700's. Again - I only began looking in earnest yesterday.