What's new

Memorable Coffee

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hey Coffee Lovers two questions for you.

1. What the best cup of coffee you've ever had? (Blend and Brew Method would be great to know)
2. What's your most memorable coffee moment?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I am partial to my local guy. St Thomas Roasters. I prefer French press but due to extreme ease of cleaning I use my aero press every morning now that its just me in the house. My favorite beans tend to be peaberry varieties like Tanzanian Peaberry in a medium roast. Its just nice, smooth and has a flavor I love. I buy a pound a month and have been for about 5 years now. I switch it up with other coffee along with my peaberry. I am drinking through some Malawi AA which I awesome in my to go mug with just a tiny bit of palm jaggery. Some beans can be a touch bitter with my aeropress while others are perfect. I haven't mastered a temp/timing for the different coffees I drink in a separate manner they all get the same treatment right now.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Bitter,,,,,,,,Make sure your water is 185 degrees or so,will help.
If it's still bitter it is probably roasted too dark......
Antigua Guatemala has a winey feel and finish......
Try Ethiopian,at city roast it can have blueberry notes.
Dark roast,try to get it in Brazilian,it takes a dark roast well.
City to city + roast shows best for most beans,Mexican can be city- to city roast.
Invest in a burr grinder and get a french press,(20-25.00) ,you will be amazed........

Pm me if you have any questions.....Tom

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Water is close to 200 and I have a burr grinder. Its just some of the beans with that aeropress. I also use a buttload of grounds and just dilute a little. When I used less grounds it was real bitter, so now I dialed in on three scoops using the scoop supplied with the aeropress.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My favorite cup of coffee is 100% pure Kona coffee from GreenWell Farms. From the farms to the roaster to me. Medium roast or Peaberry. Then bur grind it and finally french press it. Amazing body and aroma. MMmm damn it now i want some!

Worst cup of coffee, anything Dunkin Doughnuts.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My preferred coffee is from being cold-brewed. A friend of mine gave me a the Toddy system and it makes amazing coffee. I tend to make more batches of cold-brewed coffee in the Summer because it's perfect for cold coffee drinks (a batch is just shy of a liter and is a concentrate that you mix at 1:2 or 1:3 ratio).

Otherwise, I use a French Press and, for those of you who read the thread on ritual, I take my time in making it.

First, I start with beans that I roast myself (again, much more often in the Summer when I can roast them outside). My FP is a 12-cup and I grind 10 tablespoons of coffee (in a burr grinder). After the water boils, I set a timer for one minute to bring the temperature down to around 199-200 degrees. Then I pour in enough water to cover the grounds about an inch and stir well to make sure all the grounds are wet. Then I finish filling up the FP and pour hot water into my mug to warm it up.

I set a time for 4 minutes so that the coffee steeps. After the time goes off, I use a slotted spoon to remove as much of the wet coffee grounds as I can. This: 1) stops the steeping process as the FP sits while I drink coffee, 2) makes it easier to push down the plunger, and 3) reduces the amount of sediment at the bottom of my mug.

Speaking of the plunger, once I get as many grounds as I can out of the FP, I push down the plunger as slowly as I can as it helps emulsify the oils from the coffee and the water. Then I let it sit for a minute so that any grounds floating in the coffee can settle toward the bottom. Dump out the warm water from the mug (obviously) and enjoy!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
My preferred coffee is from being cold-brewed. A friend of mine gave me a the Toddy system and it makes amazing coffee. I tend to make more batches of cold-brewed coffee in the Summer because it's perfect for cold coffee drinks (a batch is just shy of a liter and is a concentrate that you mix at 1:2 or 1:3 ratio).

Otherwise, I use a French Press and, for those of you who read the thread on ritual, I take my time in making it.

First, I start with beans that I roast myself (again, much more often in the Summer when I can roast them outside). My FP is a 12-cup and I grind 10 tablespoons of coffee (in a burr grinder). After the water boils, I set a timer for one minute to bring the temperature down to around 199-200 degrees. Then I pour in enough water to cover the grounds about an inch and stir well to make sure all the grounds are wet. Then I finish filling up the FP and pour hot water into my mug to warm it up.

I set a time for 4 minutes so that the coffee steeps. After the time goes off, I use a slotted spoon to remove as much of the wet coffee grounds as I can. This: 1) stops the steeping process as the FP sits while I drink coffee, 2) makes it easier to push down the plunger, and 3) reduces the amount of sediment at the bottom of my mug.

Speaking of the plunger, once I get as many grounds as I can out of the FP, I push down the plunger as slowly as I can as it helps emulsify the oils from the coffee and the water. Then I let it sit for a minute so that any grounds floating in the coffee can settle toward the bottom. Dump out the warm water from the mug (obviously) and enjoy!
Navperville.... coffee and cigars soon :D

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a little boutique hotel in Paris I had the most amazing cup of french press (go figure) coffee I have ever tasted. It was dark & rich and sweet and oh so aromatic.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
In Jaco, Costa Rica at some small "resort" that the name escapes my brain right now. After drinking all day and all night and spending the day on the beach, in the ocean, Come dinner time no one had much energy to do much but then our server would make us some coffee and serve it w some type of coffee liquore you'd be ready to go!

I'd die for that coffee every day of my life.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
On my honeymoon in Jamaica we had Blue Mountain every morning overlooking the beach. Wasn't really the specific coffee that made it great, it was the moment on the beach with my new bride that made it memorable. Still buy some online to have occasionally.