What's new

Merle Haggard - RIP

Rating - 100%
47   0   0

Merle Haggard, the grizzled country music legend whose songs such as "Okie from Muskogee" and "Fightin' Side of Me" made him a voice for the workingman and the outsider, has died. He was 79.

Haggard died Wednesday, his birthday, of complications from pneumonia at his home in Northern California, his agent Lance Roberts told CNN.
Haggard recorded more than three dozen No. 1 country hits in a musical career that spanned six decades, from the 1960s into the 2010s. He overcame an early life of petty crime and a prison term in San Quentin to develop a rugged, outlaw image that helped sell millions of records.
Tributes immediately began pouring in from the country music world and beyond.

I'll end this with one of my favorite songs from him. RIP

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Great musician for sure. The Grim Reaper finally caught up with him. He was originally supposed to be on the plane with Buddy Holly.
If you are referring to Feb 1959 crash, Waylon Jennings was to fly with Buddy, but exchanged his seat with J.P. Richardson because he was sick.
Tommy Allsup was also to fly, but lost a coin toss with Ritchie Valens for the seat.

But yeah, Ol' Merle cheated the devil more than once if I remember correctly.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If you are referring to Feb 1959 crash, Waylon Jennings was to fly with Buddy, but exchanged his seat with J.P. Richardson because he was sick.
Tommy Allsup was also to fly, but lost a coin toss with Ritchie Valens for the seat. Tommy joked " well I hope you crash anyway " whereas Ritchie replied " well, I hope you freeze to death on that bus."
Ahh, crud! My mind is going. Thanks for the correction.

I got Waylon and Merle mixed up.