What's new

Metal Humidors?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was walking past a military surplus store and saw a bunch of ammo boxes. After realizing that they had a rubber gasket, I was struck with the idea of lining them with spanish cedar to make a rather unique humi. What do you think? Will the metal have any effect on the cigars? What about the paint? I was wondering what you thought.

Thanks.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i think that those metal ammo cans are great. line them with spanish cedar, throw in a Boveda, and you are all set. JR cigars offered ammo cans filled with cigars. i smoked some of them, and they were fine. just open the lid a couple times a week to give them a little bit of fresh air.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like ammo cans or surplus military boxes or crates, check out Ammodor's or stuff on Etsy. You can order 1/4in Spanish cedar precut (miter cut) top, bottom & sides in a complete kit with humidification accessories. Plus you can order Spanish cedar trays if you have a tall ammo can. If you get your hands on a empty mortar bomb box they can fix that up into a humidor, too.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I think they would make great humidors. If you don't want to go through the hassle of ordering, cutting and installing the Spanish cedar you can also get one here but they are pretty spendy.

http://www.ammodors.com/

You could probably make your own a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Really interested in doing this just for fun with a mortar crate or something of the sort... Lot of good options at the surplus stores. Looks like ammodors is doing a really great job with theirs though... Speaking of..... How terribly bad form is it considered to resurrect relevant old threads for a constructive comment? I mean, I wouldn't do it just for fun cause it seems to irritate @mwlabel... ;)

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Really interested in doing this just for fun with a mortar crate or something of the sort... Lot of good options at the surplus stores. Looks like ammodors is doing a really great job with theirs though... Speaking of..... How terribly bad form is it considered to resurrect relevant old threads for a constructive comment? I mean, I wouldn't do it just for fun cause it seems to irritate @mwlabel... ;)
If this really does irritate Alex @mwlabel I may just have to consider doing it just for fun myself.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I wouldn't have thought of using an ammo can for a humidor. I personally am glad you guys revived this old thread so I could get the link. Some awesome stuff considering my love for all things that go boom

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you open and close them frequently I would be inclined to check the gasket every so often, wipe it down with some silicone and a rag and checking the seal. They can wear out from over use. So I would only really use them for long term storage.
25MM Cans would be great for box storage long term. Just plop some bovedas in there, seal it up, and check on it every 6 months or so.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
If you open and close them frequently I would be inclined to check the gasket every so often, wipe it down with some silicone and a rag and checking the seal. They can wear out from over use. So I would only really use them for long term storage.
25MM Cans would be great for box storage long term. Just plop some bovedas in there, seal it up, and check on it every 6 months or so.
Definitely true for things you want totally sealed, but Honestly, isn't it better for cigars to breathe a little? That's part of why I wanted to do a crate, well that and size. Seems like it would make a good coffee table.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely true for things you want totally sealed, but Honestly, isn't it better for cigars to breathe a little? That's part of why I wanted to do a crate, well that and size. Seems like it would make a good coffee table.
No you're right. I agree on the coffee table part too. Now if only I could talk my wife into letting me have an ammo crate coffee table.