What's new

Michigan vacation tips

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I was in the shop last night, and a regular customer was talking to me about Michigan, he says he has a cabin that he stays in with his family (no electricity or even plumbing :cautious:), but he was telling about how Michigan is a hidden secret, and that we don't need tropical resorts when we have Michigan.......and it's only 3 hrs away!!!!!!

He was talking about Mackinaw Island, and the Grand Hotel......anyway the more he talked about and showed me pics this sounds like a no brainer.

Thinking about doing a week vacation hitting about 5-6 towns then ending at the Grand Hotel for their buffet then home.

Here are some of the towns mentioned that I should visit:

Holland
South Haven
Saugatuck
Rand Rapids
Traverse City (especially for their cherry fest)
Petoskey
Bay View
Harbor Springs (for Tom's Mom's Cookies)

So, has anyone been there? Any tips on where to stay, what to do?

I haven't discussed this with the wife yet, but it would just be me, her and the boy. We have talked about Disney, but I honestly don't think this is in the cards this year, maybe next year. From what this guy was telling me, Michigan sounds like something that we would all remember for the rest of our lives.

Any input would be helpful....thanks

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
It's definitely a hidden gem of a vacation destination. Guys I work with go pretty much every year. You would deal with significantly less tourists and spend less money, compared to going to Disney.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I was in the shop last night, and a regular customer was talking to me about Michigan, he says he has a cabin that he stays in with his family (no electricity or even plumbing :cautious:), but he was telling about how Michigan is a hidden secret, and that we don't need tropical resorts when we have Michigan.......and it's only 3 hrs away!!!!!!

He was talking about Mackinaw Island, and the Grand Hotel......anyway the more he talked about and showed me pics this sounds like a no brainer.

Thinking about doing a week vacation hitting about 5-6 towns then ending at the Grand Hotel for their buffet then home.

Here are some of the towns mentioned that I should visit:

Holland
South Haven
Saugatuck
Rand Rapids
Traverse City (especially for their cherry fest)
Petoskey
Bay View
Harbor Springs (for Tom's Mom's Cookies)

So, has anyone been there? Any tips on where to stay, what to do?

I haven't discussed this with the wife yet, but it would just be me, her and the boy. We have talked about Disney, but I honestly don't think this is in the cards this year, maybe next year. From what this guy was telling me, Michigan sounds like something that we would all remember for the rest of our lives.

Any input would be helpful....thanks
You're getting good info
Top half of Michigan is a hidden gem, that's where we head all summer

Petoskey and Traverse are must for a day. While up there hit The sleeping bear dunes. The boy will love that.
Mackinac Island is a great day trip. To me it's not an overnighter as it's not a huge island. Take the ferry out, get some food, shop for fudge and Taffy, rent bikes and cruise the trail around island then head out.
If you want to do the up north thang then renting a cabin on Houghton or Higgins lake is great, you'll want to rent a pontoon boat or something though.
If you're making the full circle around the LP, then Caseville is a great spot to spend a couple days. Rent some canoes, Cheeseburger festival, beaches etc
UP has other options like the Pictures Rocks
Muskegon and Tawas State Parks are great.
I could keep going

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Traverse City / mackinaw island are must stops...
Grand Rapids is an awesome city - Parents live there & spend quite a bit of time there
Saugatuck during the summer is a great time
New Holland too...
Basically yes to all the places haha

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
@ChefBoyRG54 might have some info since he travels with his kids
Thanks Chuck

It's definitely a hidden gem of a vacation destination. Guys I work with go pretty much every year. You would deal with significantly less tourists and spend less money, compared to going to Disney.
Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it too......something not crazy expensive, that will still have lots to see & do

You're getting good info
Top half of Michigan is a hidden gem, that's where we head all summer

Petoskey and Traverse are must for a day. While up there hit The sleeping bear dunes. The boy will love that.
Mackinac Island is a great day trip. To me it's not an overnighter as it's not a huge island. Take the ferry out, get some food, shop for fudge and Taffy, rent bikes and cruise the trail around island then head out.
If you want to do the up north thang then renting a cabin on Houghton or Higgins lake is great, you'll want to rent a pontoon boat or something though.
If you're making the full circle around the LP, then Caseville is a great spot to spend a couple days. Rent some canoes, Cheeseburger festival, beaches etc
UP has other options like the Pictures Rocks
Muskegon and Tawas State Parks are great.
I could keep going
This is great info! Thanks, looking at possibly hitting a few BnB's in the towns, yeah definitely not staying in Mackinac.....i'm guessing that will be the last stop.

Have done several vacations to Michigan. Would recommend Wisconsin every time. Stay in the Lake Geneva area and it’s quite and peaceful with an easy drive to bigger attractions.
Not looking at WI this year, we did that 2yrs ago (which was AWESOME btw, we went to New Glarus for their Octoberfest then his Capitol Brewery in Middleton, then finaled out in Milwaukee for PBR baby!)

Traverse City / mackinaw island are must stops...
Grand Rapids is an awesome city - Parents live there & spend quite a bit of time there
Saugatuck during the summer is a great time
New Holland too...
Basically yes to all the places haha
More great info! Thanks man

Now do any of you recommend any sites to look at to start planning? Like do I just go to each city's website, or would you recommend like a travel package site like TripAdvisor or something? I've never really planned a trip like this out, so any tips would be helpful

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Now do any of you recommend any sites to look at to start planning? Like do I just go to each city's website, or would you recommend like a travel package site like TripAdvisor or something? I've never really planned a trip like this out, so any tips would be helpful
I personally would recommend a VRBO/airBNB type site and renting a cabin(s)somewhere. Will be cheaper than hotels and cooler. We rented a huge one for 200/night for 2 families in Caseville last year and had a blast.

If you're doing the tip top of LP you can essentially rent a VRBO somewhere in the Indian River area and be within an hour of multiple places on your list(Mackinac, Petoskey, Charlevoix etc). We stay with relatives up there every couple years and do exactly this. Could head to UP an hour up I75 to the bridge and just make a long day of it if wanted too

Then spend some time in the pinky near Traverse and rent one there for few days. I hear they have some good fishing charters up there as well.

There is ALWAYS random ass things happening in all of these cities from little pop up markets, art fairs, food festivals, etc

Get a place that's semi secluded in the woods with a bonfire pit if you can. That's the life

It's pretty easy to get around up there. Traffic is nil and most roads you can fly so you'll cover ground quicker than you think

Have fun

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I personally would recommend a VRBO/airBNB type site and renting a cabin(s)somewhere. Will be cheaper than hotels and cooler. We rented a huge one for 200/night for 2 families in Caseville last year and had a blast.

If you're doing the tip top of LP you can essentially rent a VRBO somewhere in the Indian River area and be within an hour of multiple places on your list(Mackinac, Petoskey, Charlevoix etc). We stay with relatives up there every couple years and do exactly this. Could head to UP an hour up I75 to the bridge and just make a long day of it if wanted too
Perfect, this sounds exactly like something I was looking at....thanks again....now to sell it to the wife heh