What's new

Microwave drying with excellent results

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been microwaving cigars with excellent results for some time now. So good are the results that I'll try to explain the procedure and why it renders such a good cigar.

We've all heard that the best thing is to let your cigar 'rest' after rolling. Absolutely true and the reason for this is to let the cigar shed some of the moisture in the leaf to reach a point of proper dryness for smoking. If you have the time of 3 or 4 months this certainly works PROVIDED the environment they are stored has a RH low enough. (Lower RH does the job faster.)

First, let look at what a microwave does and doesn't do...
Not to get too technical but it's important to understand what's happening.The microwave works by vibrating the water molecule using a radio frequency. That's it, nothing more. A myth that many people grasp onto is that it works using radioactivity or that it alters the molecular structure in some way. False. It simply causes a vibration between the molecules. There is NO "nuking" happening. The microwave has an a technical advantage in that it heats the entire cigar at the same time. It doesn't just heat the outside, it heats the center also and that's a good thing. It's important to understand that this procedure works ONLY if your cigars can benefit from being overly moist or on the higher side of normal.

Remember, your tobacco is probably already fermented and is several years old. Once rolled, any further aging will probably do very little to improve the smoke. The main reason you put them away to 'rest' is to get the moisture level lower all the way to the middle of the cigar and uniformly so.

If you could do a time lapse of the normal 'age drying process' you'd see the cigar drying from the outside in to the middle over a few months. The center core would be the last to dry and this does take some time to get a uniform moisture level throughout the cigar. So the uniformity of the microwave is a big plus in speeding up the process.

So... if your put a new cigar in a microwave and mic'd it for a SHORT period of time you could turn the internal moisture to steam. The problem is and why many have failed with this experiment, once it's moisture is turned to steam, the steam must be removed or the cigar will just re-absorb the moisture. Nothing gained and you end up with a molested cigar. Not good. Another fail is to give the cigar too much time and it will super heat the steam and ruin the cigar. Literally cooking the cigar.

My first success was to punch or cut the end of the cigar and them mic it for only 10 seconds. (standard household microwave heats one cigar very quickly) then remove the cigar and blow in the end to remove the steam from inside the cigar. You can actually see the steam blowing out the end if you do it under a light. (I blow it into the vent fan under the microwave and can clearly see the steam blowing out).

Then, another 10 seconds and blow it out again. By the third time the steam had diminished to little to none coming out. Stop, it's done. Let it cool for half an hour and it's ready to smoke. Like it's rested for 4 months. Yes, it really is that easy.

I had cigars that were bitter and un-smokable turn into very good tasting cigars in less than a minutes time. NO, it doesn't turn every crap cigar into a Padron. It simply brings the moisture level down. This however, can make a HUGE difference in how it smokes. It not only tastes better but it will burn better also. (If your cigars are aged well there will be NOTHINg GAINED by doing this procedure. This process is for any cigar that may be overly moist. If the cigar has a bitter taste this may be the answer to correct it. I promise, the results have been astonishing.

Taken one step further...

Doing one cigar at a time is fine but what if you have a bunch of cigars to do? I have a vacuum pump that I rigged up where I can put 15 cigars (or more) at a time. I microwave the entire bunch and then immediately put on the lid and pull a vacuum. This sucks out all the steam and air from the very inside of the cigar.

After vacuuming, upon opening the valve, fresh 54% rh air from the room goes rushing back into the cigars. This does a very thorough vacuum of the internal of the cigar all the way to it's core and replenished with low humidity. The cigars are remarkably dry and ready to smoke.

Note: After rolling fresh cigars I wait a day or two for the outside wrapper to dry before microwaving.

My set-up...

vacuum pump.jpg

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How do you create a vacuum by pumping compressed air into a jar?
Edit ok I see it's a 2 stage. Interesting idea...

Last edited:

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have been microwaving cigars with excellent results for some time now. So good are the results that I'll try to explain the procedure and why it renders such a good cigar.

We've all heard that the best thing is to let your cigar 'rest' after rolling. Absolutely true and the reason for this is to let the cigar shed some of the moisture in the leaf to reach a point of proper dryness for smoking. If you have the time of 3 or 4 months this certainly works PROVIDED the environment they are stored has a RH low enough. (Lower RH does the job faster.)

First, let look at what a microwave does and doesn't do...
Not to get too technical but it's important to understand what's happening.The microwave works by vibrating the water molecule using a radio frequency. That's it, nothing more. A myth that many people grasp onto is that it works using radioactivity or that it alters the molecular structure in some way. False. It simply causes a vibration between the molecules. There is NO "nuking" happening. The microwave has an a technical advantage in that it heats the entire cigar at the same time. It doesn't just heat the outside, it heats the center also and that's a good thing. It's important to understand that this procedure works ONLY if your cigars can benefit from being overly moist or on the higher side of normal.

Remember, your tobacco is probably already fermented and is several years old. Once rolled, any further aging will probably do very little to improve the smoke. The main reason you put them away to 'rest' is to get the moisture level lower all the way to the middle of the cigar and uniformly so.

If you could do a time lapse of the normal 'age drying process' you'd see the cigar drying from the outside in to the middle over a few months. The center core would be the last to dry and this does take some time to get a uniform moisture level throughout the cigar. So the uniformity of the microwave is a big plus in speeding up the process.

So... if your put a new cigar in a microwave and mic'd it for a SHORT period of time you could turn the internal moisture to steam. The problem is and why many have failed with this experiment, once it's moisture is turned to steam, the steam must be removed or the cigar will just re-absorb the moisture. Nothing gained and you end up with a molested cigar. Not good. Another fail is to give the cigar too much time and it will super heat the steam and ruin the cigar. Literally cooking the cigar.

My first success was to punch or cut the end of the cigar and them mic it for only 10 seconds. (standard household microwave heats one cigar very quickly) then remove the cigar and blow in the end to remove the steam from inside the cigar. You can actually see the steam blowing out the end if you do it under a light. (I blow it into the vent fan under the microwave and can clearly see the steam blowing out).

Then, another 10 seconds and blow it out again. By the third time the steam had diminished to little to none coming out. Stop, it's done. Let it cool for half an hour and it's ready to smoke. Like it's rested for 4 months. Yes, it really is that easy.

I had cigars that were bitter and un-smokable turn into very good tasting cigars in less than a minutes time. NO, it doesn't turn every crap cigar into a Padron. It simply brings the moisture level down. This however, can make a HUGE difference in how it smokes. It not only tastes better but it will burn better also. (If your cigars are aged well there will be NOTHINg GAINED by doing this procedure. This process is for any cigar that may be overly moist. If the cigar has a bitter taste this may be the answer to correct it. I promise, the results have been astonishing.

Taken one step further...

Doing one cigar at a time is fine but what if you have a bunch of cigars to do? I have a vacuum pump that I rigged up where I can put 15 cigars (or more) at a time. I microwave the entire bunch and then immediately put on the lid and pull a vacuum. This sucks out all the steam and air from the very inside of the cigar.

After vacuuming, upon opening the valve, fresh 54% rh air from the room goes rushing back into the cigars. This does a very thorough vacuum of the internal of the cigar all the way to it's core and replenished with low humidity. The cigars are remarkably dry and ready to smoke.

Note: After rolling fresh cigars I wait a day or two for the outside wrapper to dry before microwaving.

My set-up...

View attachment 84443
Very interesting.

Sent from my 2nd Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935V

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Interesting thoughts. I don't know why I didn't come up this. I use the same pump for automotive AC systems repairs. We will pull a vacuum on a system for an hour to remove the moisture. Water boils at 76 degrees in 29 inches of vacuum. So in theory the longer you pull the more moisture will be removed. @Gdaddy how long do you draw your vacuum? But just like anything in the cigar world not everyone is going to run down and spend $300+ on a pump.
Sounds like I need to do some experimenting with you. Maybe even putting a hydrometer in the jar. The thought of not having to wait a month or so is refreshing.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I ought to send you 20 sticks I rolled 10 last night and 10 tonight. It's 70% and 88 degrees outside at 8:30, and that's as cool and dry as it's been all day. By midnight, soon as it cools ten or fifteen degrees, we'll be up to 90% again. Not much drying gets done at that rate. Ironically, we're hoping thunderstorms break out and it rains hard, so's it dries out a bit round here. Perhaps I need to nuke the next batch before I cap 'em. Cause at this rate, no progress.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thoughts. I don't know why I didn't come up this. I use the same pump for automotive AC systems repairs. We will pull a vacuum on a system for an hour to remove the moisture. Water boils at 76 degrees in 29 inches of vacuum. So in theory the longer you pull the more moisture will be removed. @Gdaddy how long do you draw your vacuum? But just like anything in the cigar world not everyone is going to run down and spend $300+ on a pump.
Sounds like I need to do some experimenting with you. Maybe even putting a hydrometer in the jar. The thought of not having to wait a month or so is refreshing.
I would love to see what your experiments you come up with.

The moisture is going to be suspended in the surrounding air. The microwave energy has already transformed the moisture into steam. All you have to do is remove it. In a jar of that size I pull a pretty good vacuum in very little time. A minute or two. I'm not using the vacuum to convert water to vapor. Again, I'm using the vacuum to pull out the air that contains the moisture.

It's refreshing to hear the lower humidity air rushing back in the jar knowing it's going into the deepest crevices of the cigar. I may even give it a second "breath of fresh air" and leave it over night and smoke it the next day. Still better than waiting 4 months to dry it out.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I ought to send you 20 sticks I rolled 10 last night and 10 tonight. It's 70% and 88 degrees outside at 8:30, and that's as cool and dry as it's been all day. By midnight, soon as it cools ten or fifteen degrees, we'll be up to 90% again. Not much drying gets done at that rate. Ironically, we're hoping thunderstorms break out and it rains hard, so's it dries out a bit round here. Perhaps I need to nuke the next batch before I cap 'em. Cause at this rate, no progress.
I'm in the same boat 75% is dry here. Not going to get that "breath of fresh air" going back in. I'm thinking skip the microwave and just vacuum for an hour. I'll roll some as soon as I can and try this out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. The humidity in Florida is what drove me to these experiments.

I use the microwave mostly for testing blends to see if they're any good. This way I don't have to wait for a month or two to find out if it's any good or not.

FYI... I have lit a cigar and have a bitter moist taste. Immediately cut the lit end off go in the house microwave, do the procedure and come back out and re-light the cigar in 5 minutes and have a whole different experience.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm trying to understand the theory behind this @Gdaddy . Moist tobacco causes fermentation and fermentation releases ammonia. So the idea is to decrease moisture and thus flush out the ammonia?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to understand the theory behind this @Gdaddy . Moist tobacco causes fermentation and fermentation releases ammonia. So the idea is to decrease moisture and thus flush out the ammonia?
No. The fermentation took place already. It's done. When you are 'resting' your cigars it has nothing to do with more fermentation or ammonia. Resting (after rolling) does only one thing. It allows the cigar to slowly release moisture and get into the proper moisture level for proper smoking. Instead of waiting for the air to slowly remove the moisture this method simply accelerates the evaporation of that moisture.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat 75% is dry here. Not going to get that "breath of fresh air" going back in. I'm thinking skip the microwave and just vacuum for an hour. I'll roll some as soon as I can and try this out.
I thought that also. Just running the vacuum pump didn't seem to do anything. There was no improvement. I even tested damp paper towels rolled up and pulled a vacuum but they were still damp after several hours. Why take an hour when the microwave does it in less than a minute.

The best way to do your tests is to weigh the cigar before and after on a digital scale. This is more scientific and not that difficult. If you blow out the moisture or suck it out with a vacuum pump you'll find the cigar is lighter in weight and is also firmer. You don't even need a scale, you should feel it's lighter in your hand. A scale is absolute verification of moisture being removed.

The burn will be greatly improved and should not need any re-lights or few, if any, touch ups.

I smoked a cigar tonight that I had rolled last night.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not everyone is going to run down and spend $300+ on a pump.
I installed a 'mini split' AC in my room and needed a pump to vacuum the lines. It cost around $100. Pulls a good vacuum and came recommended (Viot). They have cheaper units at Harbor frieght.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would work. Dry them and then place the cap. The cap will dry fairly quickly in a few days anyway. You could dry ten cigars in 15 minutes or so.

My suggestion is to try ONE cigar and see how it goes. Try to stay on track with the 10 seconds.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This would work. Dry them and then place the cap. The cap will dry fairly quickly in a few days anyway. You could dry ten cigars in 15 minutes or so.

My suggestion is to try ONE cigar and see how it goes. Try to stay on track with the 10 seconds.

Yeah, that didn't work out. Nearly always a little pigtail or very little hole in the head at all. Spose I'll have to try one by one right after slicing off the cap, right before smoking.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What about right after you pull it from the mold before you wrap it?
Boy, I wouldn't want to monkey with it then. I want to get it from the mold, trim the ends, and wrap it soon as possible. Dunno that it would hold together with too much handling. Plus, even right from the get-go, the head tends to be sealed. Remember: We're talking about fectos here, cause I'm a dedicated perfectohead. In fact, that sounds like a good domain to own: perfectohead.com.

No, I think my best bet is right before smoking the darn thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I think my best bet is right before smoking the darn thing.
Agreed.

I only use this method for daily "just before smoking". No need to bother if you can squirrel away a bunch for dry boxing.

Last night I took a 2 week old cigar that had been laying in 54% rh air conditioned room and when I mic'd it I was surprised to see the amount of moisture blew out of it. It felt completely dry in the hand but inside it still had moisture.

Quick story...Years ago when microwaves first came out a buddy of mine said..." have you tried reviving stale bread in the microwave?" No, I had not. "when you put the bread in for a few seconds it will come out soft and warm BUT you need to eat it fast because it will turn hard pretty quickly". He was right.

Be aware, the cigar will do a similar firming. Let the cigar sit for 15 minutes to a half an hour after mic'ing and it will firm up nicely. I particularly like this because, as you know, on these humid evenings by the time you near the end the cigar is mush and probably goes out. The extra firmness definitely helps and you can take it to the nub still burning nicely.