What's new

Microwaves for drying ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched this youtube on this guy actually drying a wet cigar in a microwave. Anybody try this with your fresh rolls?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched this youtube on this guy actually drying a wet cigar in a microwave. Anybody try this with your fresh rolls?
Tried some San Andreas wrapper this time around , being impatient did everything but submerge it. Will never use that wrapper again

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried some San Andreas wrapper this time around , being impatient did everything but submerge it. Will never use that wrapper again
With using the microwave, I know a few folks in the military that need to do this when they are in a country where the humidity is way over 70RH. That said it must be done very carefully, if you take a draw instead of blowing when the stick comes out of the microwave you end up in the hospital from steam burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tread that has more on this.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always this story that goes around.....I guess if one wants to filter their coffee grounds through an ole gym sock then go for it. Microwaves tend to change things with no discernible fix ..... you're trying to accomplish with the microwave... is to heat the.tobacco up, in order to get the moisture in it to evaporate....so when do you know that it's been accomplished....trial and error and in the meantime you're just messing it up and ruining the overall taste and character but if one loves to experiment with this....let the good times roll.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always this story that goes around.....I guess if one wants to filter their coffee grounds through an ole gym sock then go for it. Microwaves tend to change things with no discernible fix ..... you're trying to accomplish with the microwave... is to heat the.tobacco up, in order to get the moisture in it to evaporate....so when do you know that it's been accomplished....trial and error and in the meantime you're just messing it up and ruining the overall taste and character but if one loves to experiment with this....let the good times roll.
The process doesn't heat the tobacco. The microwave only affects the water molecule and turns it into steam that can be easily removed by simply blowing it out. With a small amount of experimentation you can dry sticks in a few seconds that otherwise take weeks or even months. It doesn't negatively affect the taste or character. It simply removes excess moisture.

However, too much microwave and you can over heat the interior of the cigar and create a very high temp steam that literally 'cooks' the tobacco and ruins the cigar. Just like most procedures, there's a right way and a wrong way. Done correctly this method works great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process doesn't heat the tobacco. The microwave only affects the water molecule and turns it into steam that can be easily removed by simply blowing it out. With a small amount of experimentation you can dry sticks in a few seconds that otherwise take weeks or even months. It doesn't negatively affect the taste or character. It simply removes excess moisture.

However, too much microwave and you can over heat the interior of the cigar and create a very high temp steam that literally 'cooks' the tobacco and ruins the cigar. Just like most procedures, there's a right way and a wrong way. Done correctly this method works great.
Agreed. Been doing this for years and if done right the tobacco is fine

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed. Been doing this for years and if done right the tobacco is fine
If done right...key words here and experience is going to be your guide. For hobbyists who are always looking for short cuts I would be reticent in advising anyone who thinks that short cuts are appropriate in most cases. Tobacco is something that's been around for centuries and for that length of time I think the tried and true methods have held fast in caring for tobacco whether it be pipe or cigars, etc.

When we consider that our hobby can't afford us to wait a short amount of time to enjoy it then we're probably in too big a hurry.....might as well smoke a Robusto cigar in 15 minutes instead of what most do and take a leisurely approach to such a great hobby but I get it....sometimes you can't wait and want to get right to it so with that being said everybody tends to do what they want as long as they accept the consequences of their actions...I can wait along time for my tobacco to cure/ferment/etc....I have some boxes that are 18 years old so no hurry for me.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else a microwave can be a useful tool for the right purpose. I wouldn’t cook a steak in one but is prefect for leftovers.

When I make a new blend and I know that the humidity is way too high for a good burn I do use the microwave technique to test my first stick. This way I don’t have to wait 3 months to figure out if I am blending dog rockets.

Would I use a microwave for my regular sticks, absolutely not.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else a microwave can be a useful tool for the right purpose. I wouldn’t cook a steak in one but is prefect for leftovers.

When I make a new blend and I know that the humidity is way too high for a good burn I do use the microwave technique to test my first stick. This way I don’t have to wait 3 months to figure out if I am blending dog rockets.

Would I use a microwave for my regular sticks, absolutely not.

Exactly. Valuable tool for quick blend testing. Nothing beats the natural aging process.