What's new

Mini Barrel Project Batch #2

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I picked up 5 L of rye whiskey white dog at 110 proof from my local distillery,Twin Valley Distillers, over the weekend. I filled with that just after dumping the double oaked Dant. I would like to let this batch go to about 6 months but we will see. I will probably sample monthly at least initially. Got a little overzealous on the fill and had to take a little out.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd think that white dog must have been painful with all the good stuff you drink.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'd think that white dog must have been painful with all the good stuff you drink.
I’ve drank my share of moonshine before so I can enjoy just about anything. Surprisingly it has similar fruity, spicy notes as their aged rye. The rye content is about the same as Old Forester rye but OF has a slightly higher malt content at 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Tasted at the two month mark over the weekend. It’s finally picking up some color. Has picked up a little caramel sweetness. No oak yet so that might be a good sign that I can let it go a while. Still shooting for 6 months but we will see. Still super grain forward with rye spice but this has a lot of juicy fruit type flavor to it. Still drinks well below 110 proof. Will update in another month.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Had a sample last night at the 3 month mark. Maybe just a tad more color, still picking up some sweetness. Just a touch of caramel, and vanilla. This is turning into a sweet, fruity, spicy rye. I feel like it’s getting spicier. I wonder with the evaporation and proof probably going up if that’s getting amplified. Just a hint of oak at 3 months where my double oaked Dant is over oaked but it had already had 4 years or so in the barrel. I should be able to go a couple more months. I need to check the level and see how much I’ve lost. At some point I may have to compromise on how long I leave it in if I’ve lost too much.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Decided I wanted to do vertical from this barrel. Pulled a bottle from my barrel at 4 months yesterday.Gonna pull another bottle at 5 and the rest at 6 months. Hopefully will have 2 bottles of the 6 month. Picking up some color, a lot of sweetness, and a little caramel with just a hint of oak on the finish. Very spicy and fruity. Wonder if the proof has gone up with the evaporation. Seems like it might have.157429157430

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Bottled the remainder at 6 months. Ended up with 3 so that makes a total of 5 750ml bottles from this barrel. Means I least about 1.25 L but I probably tasted about 250ml of that so lost about 1L to evaporation. I tasted the 5 month vs the six last night. Maybe a barely noticeable difference in color. The nose on the six is a little softer and rounder with just a hint of burnt brown sugar that the five month is lacking. Basically the same differences in the palate and finish as well. Really happy with how it turned out.159090159091