What's new

Mixing cigars in boxes

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a box where I put any NC's I happen to pick up. Since there are only a few I keep them all together in one box. Now I've reached a point with my better cigars where I have several boxes with only a few cigars in each box, but I'm reluctant to mix them because I don't want the flavors to intermingle.

What do you guys think about storing your better cigars together in one box. I could use a little room in my coolador.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all...

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My palate isn't sophisticated enough for me to worry about flavors marrying. I just put 'em in my humidors without worrying about what's next to what (except for the Javas that my wife likes and that live in a place all of their own).

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
For non-cubans, I might keep maduros and naturals away from eachother. But other than that I wouldn't be too worried since most n/c cigars come with cello.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
It's my understanding that it takes quite a while for a transfer to take place. I agree with the maduro/natural segregation. And like Cliff said, if they come in cello, that helps too.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
No worries Mike. For long term storage (multiple years) maybe keep separate, otherwise your fine. Keep the cello on as well. NEVER mix regular cigars with flavored or infused sticks, that is the main thing to keep in a totally different storage unit.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't worried about my NC's, it's the CC's that I am concerned about. But none of them last more than a couple of months so I guess I'm safe...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you are going to be consuming these within the next couple-5 years don't worry about it. Here's another option if you get down to a handful (I do it with 5 or more) of a cigar and decide you want to leave them be. Get a ziplock sandwich bag and a thin sheet of cedar like the ones that come in tubos. Place the cedar in the ziplock, put the cigars in the baggy (usually you can do up to 7, but 5 works really well), get as much air out as possible and close. With 5 or so you can usually then kind of wrap up the cigars in the baggy and put a strip of masking tape around the whole thing. I then right what the cigars are on the masking tape and put the whole little bundle away. I have a couple of boxes now with 3-4 of these types of bundles. Keeps the cigars together so that they can age with each other and yet gives me more space.

Oh, and it keeps me from cheating because i have to open the whole baggy to get to the cigars so I usually end up just finding something else to smoke. :D

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Here's another option if you get down to a handful (I do it with 5 or more) of a cigar and decide you want to leave them be. Get a ziplock sandwich bag and a thin sheet of cedar like the ones that come in tubos. Place the cedar in the ziplock, put the cigars in the baggy (usually you can do up to 7, but 5 works really well), get as much air out as possible and close. With 5 or so you can usually then kind of wrap up the cigars in the baggy and put a strip of masking tape around the whole thing. I then right what the cigars are on the masking tape and put the whole little bundle away. I have a couple of boxes now with 3-4 of these types of bundles. Keeps the cigars together so that they can age with each other and yet gives me more space.

Oh, and it keeps me from cheating because i have to open the whole baggy to get to the cigars so I usually end up just finding something else to smoke. :D

I forgot you told me to try this Jason, great idea. I am getting low on a few boxes and might pull a 5er out to try this before they are all gone. Like you, I'm not sure I can keep my hands off of them, but taping around the baggie would make things difficult to sneak just one out. I might have to start the 5er on a full box and BURY the crap out of them or start a mini coolidor just for this idea.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i've married a few boxes - same size smoke! SLB, i use the cedar sheet as a divider and line them up each to their own side. only cause i needed the room!

jeff

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
As has been mentioned above, the only thing that I would mentino again, is to not mix the infused cigars with the non infused sticks...

as far as maduro and natural, I would not neccesarily worry about hat...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I try to keep maduros and naturals seperate but I have a lot of cigars all mixed.